Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times

Advertisements

Good. Gas is too cheap, anyway. I drive an ICE automobile on a 25 mile commute, and I'm fine with the increased gas tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM

46 posts, read 31,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Good. Gas is too cheap, anyway. I drive an ICE automobile on a 25 mile commute, and I'm fine with the increased gas tax.
Also eliminate state funded vehicles for other than work use. No more using it for commute or errands leave it at the city yard.
The public should be able to look up who, signed out the vehicle, where it was driven, how long it stopped and where. Transparent California and all that.
Politicians and public workers should take the public transit. Share the bus with the illegals and the homeless like you expect the private sector to do.
If you are on the public dole you should be subject to public scrutiny.

Last edited by ..5..; 05-23-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Just what you’d expect from a parasitic union member. Your tax dollars at work.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post
BTW could you explain why our taxes should go to support retired* public workers? You work 20 to 30 years, and live another 40 to 50 after that.
A common sense solution would be to cut off publicly funded retirement benefits after 10 to 15 years. (Half the time you worked).
Great idea! Let's cut off all publicly funded retirement benefits after 15 years. Social Security is a publicly funded retirement benefit. We need to be consistent, right? I went into the public sector with several expectations One of which I knew I could make a lot more money if I went private, but I would end up with a pension as compensation.

Sorry if you are jealous of my $2000 a month lifetime pension. I paid for it (employee contribution) and earned it after 30 years of public service.

I wish people based their opinion on facts rather than what they hear on talk radio

Old 05-24-2018, 01:41 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...-chp-pensions/

Quote:
The average pension received by an officer who retired in 2015 was about $77,000, according to Calpers.
Quote:
The retirement fund for the California Highway Patrol is worse off than any other managed by California Public Employees’ Retirement System, the largest U.S. pension, as payments by the state and employees fail to keep up with benefits locked in during the dot-com bubble. As a result, the state’s contributions jumped 14 percent this year to $415 million and are projected to continue rising. A $10 increase to registration fees will help cover the expense.
Quote:
Moorlach thinks it’s inevitable that fees will rise, although the drivers may not understand why. “Everyone will think, we’re fixing roads, but that money is going to be diverted into pension plans,” he said.
The CHP is just one example of many public agencies whose pensions require evermore tax money from citizens. One source of that tax money is the gas tax politicians voted for without voter participation. How could that be? How could it be that in this democracy Californians did not get to exercise their right to vote on this matter?

It is ironic and sad that the legions of people who will be hurt financially by this tax are the people the democrats say they care about. College students are among those who are hurt. They are already overburdened with school debts. More vehicle and gas taxes hurt them even more. What did they ever do to deserve this from Jerry Brown?

Senior citizens who don't get financial assistance and are just getting by with their social security money are hurt too. Trips to the doctors will cost more now. They might have to forget about driving long distance to see the grand kids. They collect meager social security money while paying for public pensions. It hurts my head to even think about this injustice.

And to add insult to injury, they didn't even get to exercise their right to vote and now if they complain about it, they will be ridiculed, called names, lied to, and disregarded.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-24-2018 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...-chp-pensions/

The CHP is just one example of many public agencies whose pensions require evermore tax money from citizens. One source of that tax money is the gas tax politicians voted for without voter participation. How could that be? How could it be that in this democracy Californians did not get to exercise their right to vote on this matter?

It is ironic and sad that the legions of people who will be hurt financially by this tax are the people the democrats say they care about. College students are among those who are hurt. They are already overburdened with school debts. More vehicle and gas taxes hurt them even more. What did they ever do to deserve this from Jerry Brown?

Senior citizens who don't get financial assistance and are just getting by with their social security money are hurt too. Trips to the doctors will cost more now. They might have to forget about driving long distance to see the grand kids. They collect meager social security money while paying for public pensions. It hurts my head to even think about this injustice.

And to add insult to injury, they didn't even get to exercise their right to vote and now if they complain about it, they will be ridiculed, called names, lied to, and disregarded.
I just had a second idea based on your post. We could save millions or billions if we elimantef the CHP and other LE agencies. Gas has gone up close to a dollar a gallon in the last year and you’re whining about 12 cents? But you’re cool that big oil is ripping us off????

Old 05-24-2018, 05:13 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Great idea! Let's cut off all publicly funded retirement benefits after 15 years. Social Security is a publicly funded retirement benefit. We need to be consistent, right? I went into the public sector with several expectations One of which I knew I could make a lot more money if I went private, but I would end up with a pension as compensation.

Sorry if you are jealous of my $2000 a month lifetime pension. I paid for it (employee contribution) and earned it after 30 years of public service.

I wish people based their opinion on facts rather than what they hear on talk radio
That’s great you got yours. I honestly don’t begrudge you one bit, those were the rules of the game when you signed up. With that said, If you remove yourself and look at things objectively, you have to admit that our pubic pension system is broken.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That’s great you got yours. I honestly don’t begrudge you one bit, those were the rules of the game when you signed up. With that said, If you remove yourself and look at things objectively, you have to admit that our pubic pension system is broken.
Well I do agree. Reform is in the works. New hires at my former agency have to pay more in to CalPers and face a less generous pension. But please know that for 99.9% of us pensioners our pensions are modest like mine and we have to pay for a Medicare supplement. For the Big Boys and Gals therein lies the issue. And part of me says OK to a good pension to first responders and LE who put their lives on the line. Many are damaged people due to their jobs.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gas has gone up so much in the last month, does anyone notice that 12 cent tax increase?
Heck yeah, my car needs 91 and at ARCO I paying just under $4 gallon.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So true. I'm very low income, and even though I'd rather not spend more money at the pumps, I'd also rather have decent roads, so I don't spend even more on tires and damage due to pot holes, etc.

No amenities are free. You want good roads and bridges that won't collapse on you, you're going to have to pay for them.
The last state gax tax raise Jer Bear funneled the money higher priotires and none of the roads were fixed so why should I believe this time will be different?

Is Jerry Brown 'diverting' 30 percent of California's new gas tax money? | PolitiFact California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: