Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 PM

45 posts, read 66,884 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year old Male and an international business major/Japanese minor at a community college. I plan on transferring to a bigger university in any of these 3 cities.

Background info: I have moved to SD from NJ last year. I love it in SD. However I'm kind of finding it difficult to make good friends. I have a couple guy and girl friends and have had some casual hookup girlfriends but I feel like a lot of people are kind of flakey.

Now my lease is up in the summer and I can choose to go to a different city like LA or San Fran. But idk if that's just going to "run away" from the problem. I'm sociable and make friends pretty easy, but I don't know.

The main question is, do you find that any one of these cities is best for meeting friends and or girlfriends? I'm not sure if I'm just in the wrong spots of town, or if San Diego is not as easy as the other two to make friends.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 PM

381 posts, read 344,600 times
Won’t be much difference. People in SD and LA are often superficially friendly but not usually looking to make friends or do more than talk in passing. There are many reasons, but it’s not really important. Best way to meet people in college is to get involved in clubs, activities, work friends, etc.

Enjoy college!

Old 05-19-2018, 12:41 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You should see which university accepts you, then come back and ask us, if you're left with a choice, You may not be. Berkeley's good for socializing, meeting gf's, but it's hard to get into, & housing's expensive. They have a great business school + Asian languages. Santa Barbara could work well for you socially, but I don't know about their business school. You're looking at UC's, I take it?

Old 05-20-2018, 02:40 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
I’d suggest looking at towns where people are genuine.. Yes, some will say these places are boring, but boring is where you find down to earth people who enjoy relationships over going to clubs or concerts, not that they would no to such things. Look to Sacto state or UC Merced for connecting with regular folk as two possibilities

Old 05-20-2018, 11:14 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Bay Area. When you meet someone, they won't live 50 miles away like what happens in LA.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 10,642 times
The smaller towns or rural areas. Even here in Sacramento, it's a very superficial kind of nice most of the time. People will be fine with exchanging pleasantries or even having a very very shallow sort of friendship. But anything deeper than that is hard unless you've known someone for many many years. People will not think twice to just drop you out of nowhere at the even the slightest scent of conflict or tough times.

As a transplant myself, I always found the west coast in general to be a very "billions of shallow acquaintances over a tiny circle of true friends" type of social climate.

Familiarity breeds comfort. Join a group or a club of some sort. Meet people based on similar interests and put yourself in an environment where you will see these people somewhat often. Then just network from there.

As for dating, I never had much of an issue with that. Alot of people around here use dating apps to meet people.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’d suggest looking at towns where people are genuine.. Yes, some will say these places are boring, but boring is where you find down to earth people who enjoy relationships over going to clubs or concerts, not that they would no to such things. Look to Sacto state or UC Merced for connecting with regular folk as two possibilities
Or Chico State or Fresno State. He might want to investigate clubs and organizations for activities he's interested where he lives at the moment. Shared interests and all.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:39 PM

187 posts, read 206,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Or Chico State or Fresno State. He might want to investigate clubs and organizations for activities he's interested where he lives at the moment. Shared interests and all.
Chico State is the best! I thoroughly enjoyed all six years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California