Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:05 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1983 View Post
Why pay 400k for a McMansion in Phoenix when you can pay the same for a new elegant house in a masterplaned neighborhood for the same amount in Rancho Cucamonga, Temecula, Claremont, Yucaipa, etc.
Definitely none of those at that price in Claremont, but I can see your point.

More on those leaving: If California’s the future, why are so many leaving? A sobering study shows how life in the Golden State continues to get too expensive: https://www.curbed.com/2018/2/27/170...igration-texas

Old 06-01-2018, 06:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Retirees are leaving and demographically a lot of people are hitting that age. I hope more of them leave so there is some room for families. If there was an exodus like the article claims, then house prices would be falling like in the Rust Belt.
The Exodus exists it is just that foreign immigrants are flocking in and ..... the prices are going up not down and will keep doing so.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
The areas of the state in which people want to live are not building near enough housing to keep up with the constantly increasing population. So the richer ones can afford to buy homes and the poorer ones cannot. Many of who cannot buy, leave, because Nevada and Texas are better to live in than Frenso... And those on fixed incomes who don't need to live in the expensive areas with access to good jobs, many of them leave too (lower housing costs and taxes). This ain't rocket science and it also doesn't mean anything is wrong. I work and socialize with many, many immigrants from all over the globe.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The Exodus exists it is just that foreign immigrants are flocking in and ..... the prices are going up not down and will keep doing so.
I hope so, I need my million dollar fixer to appreciate in value.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
The areas of the state in which people want to live are not building near enough housing to keep up with the constantly increasing population. So the richer ones can afford to buy homes and the poorer ones cannot. Many of who cannot buy, leave, because Nevada and Texas are better to live in than Frenso... And those on fixed incomes who don't need to live in the expensive areas with access to good jobs, many of them leave too (lower housing costs and taxes). This ain't rocket science and it also doesn't mean anything is wrong. I work and socialize with many, many immigrants from all over the globe.
It isn't right or wrong, it is reality.

There are several reasons why building is not keeping up with demand and prices are rising.

Lack of land
Lack of workers
Limited building supplies

High cost for building supplies
High permit fees
Zoning which at times makes sense at at others does not.

Long delays between the initial submission of a development plan and final permission to build.
Environmentalist objections; some sensible and some stupid.
Foreign immigration of wealthy individuals who can pay the price
Visa granted to foreign workers who replace Citizens in many special fields and while making less than the citizen counterparts, can still buy.
High College debt limiting funds available to buy

Oh, just a short list.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1983 View Post
Why pay 400k for a McMansion in Phoenix when you can pay the same for a new elegant house in a masterplaned neighborhood for the same amount in Rancho Cucamonga, Temecula, Claremont, Yucaipa, etc. you’re 5x closer to the beach in these places and the summer heat is nowhere as extreme as Southern AZ.

I never understood this view. Why would you pay $500k or more to live in Temecula, RC, Yucaipa, or any other California desert interior, and pay outrageous California income taxes, highest-in-the-nation gas taxes, soaring water and electricty rates, and all the rest -- just so you can live in a hot hellhole far removed from the ocean?

If you're far from the coast, there's no reason to pay exorbitant California housing costs and the outrageous taxes and fees. And yes, the summer heat is pretty damn high in these places. And the truth is, if you are in any of these California towns, you're not going to the beach. You're not. You are not driving hours every day, or even a couple days a week, only to reach the coast, so you can then fight for parking, have to pay a premium for lunch, then pack up and trudge back. If you're not close to the water, no one is regularly doing this, because it sucks horribly.

And that is why people move to Arizona, Texas, Las Vegas, the Pacific Northwest, Florida. Much, much cheaper, as good or better quality of life. And financial freedom, which means a lot.

Quote:
Homes are MUCH more likely to appreciate in value due to this, in fact it’s a guerentee.

The 2006-2009 housing crash says otherwise. Guess who else says otherwise? Rising mortgage rates, that's who.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:52 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Get ready to have your water shut off because you've had too many showers

New California Law Limits How Much Water People Can Use « CBS Sacramento

Old 06-02-2018, 03:39 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
The state can’t make up its mind on this whole drought thing. They tell us we’re out of the drought and everything is fine, and now they want to limit showers?

WTF is wrong with these politicians and regulators??

It’s pretty stupid that Jerry Brown lifted the drought restrictions last year when we really should always be conserving water all the time. The only reasons why many of our freeway landscaping is so green is because Caltrans is wasting millions of gallons of water on unnecessary watering. Has the state enforced drought restrictions on them? I don’t think so, because i constantly see sprinklers on watering local freeways everyday, during the day and at night like it’s no big deal.

Yet the state wants to force the blame onto us and put more restrictions onto the residents.

If it’s not one thing it’s another with this state. More bans for this and that, restrictions on water, high cost of living , high taxes, ****ty infrastructure, tons of traffic, too crowded.

The weather isn’t everything, and honestly, if you don’t go to the beach and actually take advantage of what California has to offer, there’s no point in staying.

Like USDefault said, why pay $500,000 on a home way out in Temecula where it gets hot as hell, still paying high income taxes, high gas prices and dealing with CA Bull****, when you could buy an even bigger nicer home in another state like Nevada and AZ and you have way more amenities of living in a large city such as Phoenix and Vegas.

Ya I finally saw the light and now I’m free.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:21 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Many of who cannot buy, leave, because Nevada and Texas are better to live in than Frenso...
Didn't we just have a thread where it seemed the majority of posters would opt for Fresno before those other out of state cities?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Get ready to have your water shut off because you've had too many showers

New California Law Limits How Much Water People Can Use « CBS Sacramento
If I was still in California and this happened I'd be looking at a tankless water heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California