Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
I also don't buy the nonsense for a second about this "everyone hates transplants from (insert state)" mentality. The fact of the matter is, most people wouldn't know you came from somewhere else, so it's not like people are screaming "Yankee go home" to you when you move somewhere. I've had friends and family move to a variety of different states, got their state driver licenses right when they got to their new locale, and registered their cars. But somehow, people are mind readers and somehow know you're not a local. Yeah right. Unless you're an antagonistic type that make comments like "well back home we did..." and broadcast the fact that you're not from the given state, no one is going to have any clue whatsoever. And the same goes for home buyers. This information isn't exactly readily available to the public. The only place I ever see comments like this are on the internet and I hardly think someone would say something like that to your face. Most people are too polite for that. The consensus from everyone I know that have made an out-of-state move is most people are very welcoming. Please stop with the hyperbole.
I agree that is kind of a generalization. While it is true often enough that the mentality exists, it is not 100%
A lot of people dislike Californians when they try to change the place they just moved too or say things like,"well in California we have this...."
If a person moves somewhere and makes an effort to fit in and not change anything, they will probably be accepted.
Of course if you have an accent the cat is out of the bag you aren't a local.
I will say my ex bil moved to Boise and one night outside his duplex a woman was yelling "Californians go home!" I'm pretty sure she saw his California plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The fast-growing areas of Texas are mostly in Eastern Texas: Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston. These all receive more rain than any major city in California. In fact, Houston receives 50 inches of rain and features a nice, muggy, Florida-like climate. Get your facts straight; only far western Texas (From El Paso to Midland-Odessa) is desert!
Yeah, I live in Houston. I was here last August when we got 52” of rain in 72 hours. But a lot are moving to Austin and San Antonio, which are not so fortunate (or unfortunate) in water supply.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Hilarious. This comment coming from someone that has this posted on their status bar....""Censorship is a form of Nazism. Don't be a Nazi." How ironic.
I didn't censor anyone, I simply told them the truth about how their attitude would be viewed in Idaho.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I didn't censor anyone, I simply told them the truth about how their attitude would be viewed in Idaho.
Yeah, you only advocate housing discrimination to anyone that isn't a local, lol. Probably about the dumbest comment I've heard in quite some time. And I seriously doubt any seller/realtor would accept a lower offer for a house to make sure a transplant didn't buy it. The nonsense people spew on the internet never ceases to amaze me.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
And I seriously doubt any seller/realtor would accept a lower offer for a house to make sure a transplant didn't buy it. The nonsense people spew on the internet never ceases to amaze me.
Or a gay or questionable character

Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,677 times
My husband and I spent about 7 years trying to buy a house in CA and each and every time we were outbid by out-of-state or foreign investors who came in with full cash offers. These were not people looking to begin a new life or settle into a new home- these were people who were going to slap paint up on the walls and rent the homes out for exhorbitant amounts. It was never about building the community up, it was always about the bottom line.

I know most people selling their homes don't care where the money comes from, as long as it comes. But for some of us, it matters. We have dedicated time and energy to become part of our community in TX and it has paid off. Given the massive frustration, disappointment and heartache we dealt with because of all of that crap in CA, we vowed to NEVER sell any home that we owned to an investor. Ever.

Until you experience that kind of feeling, knowing that unless you literally have a suitcase full of cash at the ready you are SOL, you honestly don't know what it's like to deal with it. Call it stupid or shortsighted, it really doesn't matter to me. What matters to us is to make sure that the FAMILY neighborhood we moved in to will still be a FAMILY neighborhood when it's time to leave it. And if that means "settling" for a deal that doesn't include a suitcase full of cash, then so be it.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
My husband and I spent about 7 years trying to buy a house in CA and each and every time we were outbid by out-of-state or foreign investors who came in with full cash offers. These were not people looking to begin a new life or settle into a new home- these were people who were going to slap paint up on the walls and rent the homes out for exhorbitant amounts. It was never about building the community up, it was always about the bottom line.

I know most people selling their homes don't care where the money comes from, as long as it comes. But for some of us, it matters. We have dedicated time and energy to become part of our community in TX and it has paid off. Given the massive frustration, disappointment and heartache we dealt with because of all of that crap in CA, we vowed to NEVER sell any home that we owned to an investor. Ever.

Until you experience that kind of feeling, knowing that unless you literally have a suitcase full of cash at the ready you are SOL, you honestly don't know what it's like to deal with it. Call it stupid or shortsighted, it really doesn't matter to me. What matters to us is to make sure that the FAMILY neighborhood we moved in to will still be a FAMILY neighborhood when it's time to leave it. And if that means "settling" for a deal that doesn't include a suitcase full of cash, then so be it.
Three points:

1) You're an anomaly. And being an outlier like that isn't going to influence the market. As you stated, most people don't care where the money comes from, and not many people in their right mind are going to accept an offer for thousands less for the reasons you state.

2) You have no idea who's purchasing your home. There have been plenty of businesses who have had an agent purchase a home for them. I recall hearing about Disney doing this in Florida (since clearly, if people knew Disney was purchasing up property, most would hold out for more, knowing they were looking to expand).

http://www.wdwradio.com/2005/02/wdw-...o-one-noticeq/

3) Once you sell your home, you have no control over what the buyer will do. And even if you're successful in selling to someone local, they may have no problem immediately selling it for that "suitcase of cash".

So much for that strategy.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 06-12-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Good stuff, Berrie143. The only way to reduce foreign buying is for the government to step in and impose an additional sales tax on foreign buyers. I believe Australia and Canada have done this successfully. The added tax reduced foreign purchase of properties in those countries significantly and gave their citizens a chance to buy a home to live.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen in this country since the government here cares more about how much it can collect in property taxes. Property taxes here are based on some arbitrary number based on the market value. More buying = rise in property values = more taxes the government can collect.

They don't care if they sell out struggling Americans.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Lot of the DR's I knew that moved to California are thinking of leaving for tax reasons to states with cheaper taxes like Texas, Arizona or Florida. Most of them stayed in the end even thou they hate the taxes. If you are lucky enough to make 300-900k or have millions already saved up I guess it does not even matter much but 300-500k a year does not go that far in LA or SF these days if you want to buy a nice home in a wealthy area.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
All that original list shows is that generally speaking, people aren't very adventurous. If I was going to move, I'd head for unique destinations in the U.S.A.; like Maine or Wyoming, even Vermont. You don't hear much about Californians moving to those places. I mean who wants to move to a place like the place you just left, considering everyone else is moving there, too?
As someone else mentioned, I think part of that has to do with proximity to friends/family in California. That's mostly why my search (when I was considering relocation) was limited to "a day's drive" from the Bay Area - as I still have my mother, sister/niece/nephew, and a handful of close friends here. Plus my brother is in Las Vegas and my father is now in Los Angeles, so I'd also consider moving somewhere within driving distance from them. I especially need to be able to get to my father quickly, meaning NOT a cross-country or international flight, since he's currently in the later stages of Alzheimer's. When I get the call to "come visit now," I need to be able to do that!

But yes, the "familiarity" of these places is also likely a draw. In places like Oregon and Washington you'll find a similar political/legal climate, and in most Western states you have more comfortable weather for a native (or long-time) west-coaster. Sure, it snows in Idaho and gets pretty hot in AZ and NV... but that's NOTHING like the humidity & bugs of the the southeast, or the long and bitter winters of the northern states. I'm originally from Maryland, but having been here since childhood I'm no longer equipped for their weather. Blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California