Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
words have meaning, Cox said "I'm with him" and he wasn't talking about Obama. He's certainly not distancing himself from Trump and I've yet to read any policy of position of his that isn't consistent with Trumpism.

I've already mentioned that he would have a hard time accomplishing anything with a democratic legislature but he could screw things up greatly by vetoing measures that the people of this state support.
Trumpism isn’t a thing first off .

Also please tell me things he would veto that the people of this state support ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 09:33 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Trumpism isn’t a thing first off .
Ah, but it is! https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...glish/trumpism

Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
The difference is Cox is self made , he was raised by a single mom in South Chicago , his dad abandoned him at birth . Newsom grew up as the son of the Getty’s attorney and was born into the liberal elitist world with all the donations and connections .
Cox is lying.

Quote:
Here’s where the story gets fuzzy. Cox frequently says he “grew up” with a single mother, struggling on the South Side of Chicago. But records show that’s not the case. His mother married a third time, to a Post Office supervisor named Thomas Cox, on May 23, 1959, according to the marriage license, which said the ceremony was performed by a minister. In other words, John Cox was not yet 4 years old when his mother was no longer single. She remarried less than 3½ years after Cox’s father left her. According to his memoir, Cox said his struggling single mother lived in a “a small apartment in a relatively new integrated apartment complex on Chicago’s South Side” known as Prairie Shores. A newspaper ad from that period describes every apartment in Prairie Shores as having a “beautiful view” of the surroundings, primarily Lake Michigan, and modern kitchens that include “deluxe Frigidaire refrigerators.”

Records indicate that shortly after the marriage, the Cox family moved to Alsip, 20 miles away in the Chicago suburbs, to a house built in 1959 on one-third of an acre of land. A local newspaper article published in 1961 describes Tom and Priscilla Cox as members of a bridge club; an article in 1962 says they were Oak Lawn bridge club champions. In his memoir, Cox says they had a “reasonably comfortable lower middle-class lifestyle” that included traveling to national bridge tournaments. Two more children, a brother and sister, were born in 1960 and 1963.

Cox’s mother was a librarian at Calumet High School on the South Side, which had a student population that was almost exclusively African American. Cox graduated from the local high school, H.L. Richards in Oak Lawn, which according to his senior-year yearbook was almost all white. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.14b57c5c5319

Old 10-27-2018, 09:45 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
The difference is Cox is self made , he was raised by a single mom in South Chicago , his dad abandoned him at birth . Newsom grew up as the son of the Getty’s attorney and was born into the liberal elitist world with all the donations and connections .
Wait ... so we’re supposed to trust Cox because he grew up poor and rose to wealth and power?

Heard of Idi Amin? Abandoned as a child by his father ... grew up in his mother’s impoverished farm community.

Vladimir Putin? Robert Mugabe? Muammar Gaddafi? Joseph Stalin? Adolf Hitler? ... all born into poverty from which they worked their way up.

Ok, no. I’m not comparing Cox to these despotic monsters ... just pointing out that working one’s self out of impoverished beginnings is just as often a sign of a psychopath as it is a sign of strong, sterling character.

Find a better reason to champion the buffoon.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:49 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Cox is lying.
Heh. Another attribute of morally rudderless individuals ...

Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Also please tell me things he would veto that the people of this state support ?
No need to tell you, here are his public policy positions, and yes some are from a decade ago but he has not recanted ANY OF THEM.

John Cox on the Issues

Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
No need to tell you, here are his public policy positions, and yes some are from a decade ago but he has not recanted ANY OF THEM.

John Cox on the Issues
I strongly support Cox's positions on all the issues on that list.

My wife and I have already voted.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:04 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Quote:
words have meaning, Cox said "I'm with him" and he wasn't talking about Obama. He's certainly not distancing himself from Trump and I've yet to read any policy of position of his that isn't consistent with Trumpism.

I've already mentioned that he would have a hard time accomplishing anything with a democratic legislature but he could screw things up greatly by vetoing measures that the people of this state support.
So the people that said "I'm with Hillary" give a rubber stamp to literally every single position she takes and every word out of her mouth? Every Democrat in the country supports everything all Democratic politicians everywhere do?

Yes words do have meaning, so why are you dismissing the fact that he also said he'd support the president where he agrees with him and not support him where he disagrees? I wish I could find the video, but there are so many little 5-minute interviews out there. If I find it I will post it.

But you're seriously telling us that a man who didn't vote for Trump, who was accused by hardcore conservatives during the primaries of being a RINO, who is running for governor in a state where registered Republicans are a minority, would suddenly now make a vow to enact the Trump agenda? Your lies don't make sense!

Old 10-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Heh. Another attribute of morally rudderless individuals ...
You mean like men who have affairs with their best friend/campaign manager's wives? I don't decide my vote on personal issues but if we're going to talk about morality, how you treat those close to you counts for something.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:

John Cox on the Issues
And many of these have nothing to do with the California governor's seat. They are already settled at the federal level. Do you think the Democratic leg will present him a bill to end abortion, roll back gay marriage, or reduce minimum wage? I'm both pro-choice and pro-gay marriage, but making the state liveable for working people is more important to me than some extreme Christian beliefs he expressed ten years ago. It's great that Gavin Newsom got the ball rolling on gay marriage a couple of decades ago, but what good does that do now when people can barely keep roofs over their heads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California