Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,513 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I just recently got a Pharmacist job in Tulare,CA and I would like to know what kind of expectations to have.

A brief description of my background. Young African Male in his twenties moving from Houston, TX. I like the outdoor events, nature, night life, eating out, road trips, shopping and so on. I also like to tutor students on my spare time too.However some times I just want to be in my own space. I think the Tulare- visalia area is decent as it seems to have a lot going on and its like 50 minutes away from Fresno ( 4th largest city in CA) I would however like to get some inputs from people who have been there recently:

What kind of outdoor events are available in this area?
What side of town to live in? I am heavily considering living in Visalia and commuting to Tulare for work?
What kind of Night life are available in Tulare or Visalia?
Are there any universities or community colleges in the area?
I am also looking to start a few small scale business and would like to know if this area is entrepreneur friendly?
What is the climate like?
I know this is a far stretch for a town like Visalia or Tulare. But is there any African Community out here? How diverse are these places?
Are hospitals, nursing homes or pharmacies readily available?
what would be a good house rent option? I honestly would prefer to rent a one bedroom with my own space, but I'm also opened to a 2 bedroom apartment or condos with a room mate. (Budget of about $800 - $1000 with utilities)

Thanks for your Input. PS you don't have to answer all my questions. Any little information that you give me will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
I've been living in Tulare since 2009 and will try my best to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babanla View Post
What kind of outdoor events are available in this area?
Not many. Sometimes they have little picnics, music festivals, and car shows in and around Zumwalt park. These events, like Tulares downtown as a whole, is/are pretty forgettable. Farmers Market and other events in Visalia is generally far better.

Quote:
What side of town to live in? I am heavily considering living in Visalia and commuting to Tulare for work?
East side, east side, or east side. No brainer. Avoid anything west of J/K streets and the railroad tracks at all costs. Also a nice pocket exists in the towns middle, roughly bordered by Cross St, M and Oaks Streets to where M/Oaks meet near Cartmill is also a generally very upscale and nicer area mixed with new and well kept mature/older. Visalia-if you live on the south side can be very doable. But Visalia is very disparate and neighborhoods can range from half million dollar upscale to bombed out ghetto and everything in between in a relatively small area. If you look in Visalia, you'll have to look on a case by case basis. Commuting from anywhere north of 198 to Tulare can be time consuming and tedious, just because of the way the roads are laid out.

Quote:
What kind of Night life are available in Tulare or Visalia?
Tulare's nightlife is pretty much nonexistent. Better off going to Visalia, which has a very nice downtown loaded with restaurants and dive bars. I highly recommend Brewbakers and Crawdaddys.

Quote:
Are there any universities or community colleges in the area?
COS-College Of Sequoias is a public JC in Visalia located at Mooney/198.

Quote:
I am also looking to start a few small scale business and would like to know if this area is entrepreneur friendly?
Tulare is an absolute mess and basket case-both politically and economically. The Mayor is an arrogant cuss who refuses to step down even though almost everyone in town absolutely despises him. But that's another subject. Anyway, yes. Any viable business that's not a thrift shop, car wash, or dollar store would most likely be welcome.

Quote:
What is the climate like?
Classic Central Valley: Cool/foggy winters. Gorgeous but brief springs. Very hot/dry summers. Very hot/dry/dusty falls. Also, dirty air is a problem.

Quote:
I know this is a far stretch for a town like Visalia or Tulare. But is there any African Community out here? How diverse are these places?
None that I'm aware of. Tulare is almost perfectly split between white/Redneck/WASP and Hispanic/Latino. There are a few Blacks in Tulare (including-ironically-the Mayor), but not many nor have I seen very many Asians either. Visalia seems to be marginally more diverse. But for a Black population of any size, you'll need to go to Fresno.

Quote:
Are hospitals, nursing homes or pharmacies readily available?
Tulare had a hospital but it's currently shut down. That's also a never ending ongoing soap opera best Googled for yourself. The next closest one is Kaweah-Delta in Visalia. Its reviews are all over the map so I'd best defer that to your own reading and you can draw your own conclusions.

I don't know about nursing homes in the area, but I do know that elderly care is huge in Fresno/Clovis.

CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens all exist in plentiful supply in Tulare. So this is pretty much a nonissue.

Quote:
what would be a good house rent option? I honestly would prefer to rent a one bedroom with my own space, but I'm also opened to a 2 bedroom apartment or condos with a room mate. (Budget of about $800 - $1000 with utilities)
Even for Tulare, that's going to be tough. You CAN get "something" for that price. But it will be of questionable condition in a sketchy area. A more realistic rent option for something decent, and you're looking at $1200 and up.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I've been living in Tulare since 2009 and will try my best to answer your questions.

Not many. Sometimes they have little picnics, music festivals, and car shows in and around Zumwalt park. These events, like Tulares downtown as a whole, is/are pretty forgettable. Farmers Market and other events in Visalia is generally far better.

East side, east side, or east side. No brainer. Avoid anything west of J/K streets and the railroad tracks at all costs. Also a nice pocket exists in the towns middle, roughly bordered by Cross St, M and Oaks Streets to where M/Oaks meet near Cartmill is also a generally very upscale and nicer area mixed with new and well kept mature/older. Visalia-if you live on the south side can be very doable. But Visalia is very disparate and neighborhoods can range from half million dollar upscale to bombed out ghetto and everything in between in a relatively small area. If you look in Visalia, you'll have to look on a case by case basis. Commuting from anywhere north of 198 to Tulare can be time consuming and tedious, just because of the way the roads are laid out.

Tulare's nightlife is pretty much nonexistent. Better off going to Visalia, which has a very nice downtown loaded with restaurants and dive bars. I highly recommend Brewbakers and Crawdaddys.

COS-College Of Sequoias is a public JC in Visalia located at Mooney/198.

Tulare is an absolute mess and basket case-both politically and economically. The Mayor is an arrogant cuss who refuses to step down even though almost everyone in town absolutely despises him. But that's another subject. Anyway, yes. Any viable business that's not a thrift shop, car wash, or dollar store would most likely be welcome.

Classic Central Valley: Cool/foggy winters. Gorgeous but brief springs. Very hot/dry summers. Very hot/dry/dusty falls. Also, dirty air is a problem.

None that I'm aware of. Tulare is almost perfectly split between white/Redneck/WASP and Hispanic/Latino. There are a few Blacks in Tulare (including-ironically-the Mayor), but not many nor have I seen very many Asians either. Visalia seems to be marginally more diverse. But for a Black population of any size, you'll need to go to Fresno.

Tulare had a hospital but it's currently shut down. That's also a never ending ongoing soap opera best Googled for yourself. The next closest one is Kaweah-Delta in Visalia. Its reviews are all over the map so I'd best defer that to your own reading and you can draw your own conclusions.

I don't know about nursing homes in the area, but I do know that elderly care is huge in Fresno/Clovis.

CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens all exist in plentiful supply in Tulare. So this is pretty much a nonissue.

Even for Tulare, that's going to be tough. You CAN get "something" for that price. But it will be of questionable condition in a sketchy area. A more realistic rent option for something decent, and you're looking at $1200 and up.
Thank You so much on your input. You have been really helpful. I think my best bet would be to live on the south side of Visalia.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:38 AM

317 posts, read 307,557 times
I almost said sorry for having to move to Tulare for work, but I think congratulations are more in order. Being a pharmacist in your twenties, I can imagine that is no easy feat. I have nothing to add to the above, I just know the area to be painfully hot and smelly in the summer with little to do. I would presume you could take that job almost anywhere once you get a bit of experience in.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Let us know how it works out for you, OP, once you get moved and settled in.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Good career choice, babanla. I have a couple of former classmates who became pharmacists. They've done well. It's a very good profession. One with opportunities to move anyplace, should you decide Tulare isn't for you. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM

Hi everyone a quick update. I ended up going to Tulare this past week and this is my observation so far.

1.It is hot in Tulare, but it isn't as hot as pheonix, so it's bearable.

2.There isn't that much economic growth in the area so it may be a good place to start invest in terms of real estate. Especially because Visalia is growing at a real good pace.

3.Most of the people that work here are into agriculture. I wonder what it would take to be a passive investor in the agricultural sector, since that is a really big chunk of the economic activity in the city.

4. I would definitely reside in Visalia and commute to Tulare. This is because Visalia is miles ahead of its sister city in terms of economic development.

if I think of anything else I'll add

Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Quote:
1.It is hot in Tulare, but it isn't as hot as pheonix, so it's bearable.

To be fair, that is the entire Valley, from Bakersfield to at least Sacramento. It isn't limited to just Tulare. You will encounter that anywhere here.

Quote:
2.There isn't that much economic growth in the area so it may be a good place to start invest in terms of real estate. Especially because Visalia is growing at a real good pace.

I alluded to this in my first post to you. But you are absolutely correct. Tulare seems to be perfectly content sticking to its ag roots and keeping modern development and commerce at a pace that's at best, flat and tepid, to at worst, nonexistent. Part of this is the gridlocked and inept City Council (update: since my last post, the Mayor was removed. Actually demoted to councilman).

Quote:
3.Most of the people that work here are into agriculture. I wonder what it would take to be a passive investor in the agricultural sector, since that is a really big chunk of the economic activity in the city.

This, I can't really provide much insight or advice on. Perhaps what you might want to do is wait till February then to check out the Ag Show to get a one shot snapshot and feel of the entire sector and related industries. I must warn you though that if you do, prepare for very long lines to get in and out and you better have food at home for those three days. Because the towns population balloons during that time, hotel/motel rooms are sold out from Bakersfield to Fresno and the wait time to eat at the local Chilis....CHILI's.....can be three hours. That's not a typo or hyperbole.

Quote:
4. I would definitely reside in Visalia and commute to Tulare. This is because Visalia is miles ahead of its sister city in terms of economic development.

Depends on where in Visalia you settle in. And to some extent, where in Tulare you are going. Both towns are very irregularly shaped. So the lines between points A and B can be anything from an arrow straight line to a byzantine zigzag maze where, by the time you arrive, you are hoping for a piece of cheese as a reward. Getting from South Visalia to Tulare however is a breeze. Getting from Central and especially north Visalia OTOH to Tulare is quite a hassle. And I concur on growth and development as I already mentioned. Visalia is really trying to grow itself and keep up with the Times. Tulare, meanwhile, can barely be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Tulare, meanwhile, can barely be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.
Lake Elsinore was like that many years back and so the development came outside the city limits. Once all the old timers died off on the council, things started to change but ... a bit too late for better city things changing rapidly. The growth now is even further out.

That said I went to a friends wedding in Tulare and kinda liked the town.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
To be fair, that is the entire Valley, from Bakersfield to at least Sacramento. It isn't limited to just Tulare. You will encounter that anywhere here.

I alluded to this in my first post to you. But you are absolutely correct. Tulare seems to be perfectly content sticking to its ag roots and keeping modern development and commerce at a pace that's at best, flat and tepid, to at worst, nonexistent. Part of this is the gridlocked and inept City Council (update: since my last post, the Mayor was removed. Actually demoted to councilman).
Yeah You are right on the Valley been hot, but its something I can stomach. Also, I did some research on the mayor and I wonder how on earth he became mayor in the first place. Considering how the racial distribution cut almost evenly among White and Hispanics, with a few Asians and Blacks. He seems too me like the black version of Donald trump; Always criticizing the ag sector, yet not offering any better solution. Good thing he was demoted to councilman hopefully the next mayor steer the town in a better direction.

Quote:
This, I can't really provide much insight or advice on. Perhaps what you might want to do is wait till February then to check out the Ag Show to get a one shot snapshot and feel of the entire sector and related industries. I must warn you though that if you do, prepare for very long lines to get in and out and you better have food at home for those three days. Because the towns population balloons during that time, hotel/motel rooms are sold out from Bakersfield to Fresno and the wait time to eat at the local Chilis....CHILI's.....can be three hours. That's not a typo or hyperbole.
Waow if the Ag show is that big of a deal, then I should definitely look into it. I know the return on investment on ag as a business is very high if you find the right sector. Thank you very much for the little information I will do more research on my own.

Quote:
Depends on where in Visalia you settle in. And to some extent, where in Tulare you are going. Both towns are very irregularly shaped. So the lines between points A and B can be anything from an arrow straight line to a byzantine zigzag maze where, by the time you arrive, you are hoping for a piece of cheese as a reward. Getting from South Visalia to Tulare however is a breeze. Getting from Central and especially north Visalia OTOH to Tulare is quite a hassle. And I concur on growth and development as I already mentioned. Visalia is really trying to grow itself and keep up with the Times. Tulare, meanwhile, can barely be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century
Yeah I know what you mean. My best bet would be to settle on the South West side of town that way I'm close to highway 99, 198 and less than 15 minutes from the part of Tulare I will be working. I thought of staying in Tulare too, but the prices to rent and buy are somewhat similar in both cities, so I thought too myself I might as well stay in the better city. Also from my conversation with the residents of Visalia, the north side seems to be the more dangerous part of town, where crime happens the most. Therefore, it's probably better I stay further away from that area ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California