Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:34 AM

957 posts, read 757,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They divert the previous tax funds that you are still paying that were being used for roads and the net result is no improvement because the new tax does not bring in new funds it replaces old funds no longer being spent where they were supposed to be spent. I have been watching this for going on 6 decades.
In the works>Due to SB-1.

Gas tax to fund I-5 construction from Sacramento to Elk Grove
26 other states have raised their gas taxes since 2013. Using your logic, they too must have misappropriated funds. https://itep.org/most-states-have-ra...-recent-years/

Last edited by Mellowmike; 07-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Then let them get worse. It doesn’t matter where funds got diverted. I’m voting to repeal and I think there’s a decent chance it will be repealed.
Translation> I would rather pay for damage to my vehicle due to terrible roads than fix the roads. On the plus side, I guess the repair shops profit and with no road repairs, you'll be a frequent customer.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,273,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
In the works>Due to SB-1.

Gas tax to fund I-5 construction from Sacramento to Elk Grove
26 other states have raised their gas taxes since 2013. Using your logic, they too must have misappropriated funds. https://itep.org/most-states-have-ra...-recent-years/
What are you talking about? It’s stated fact that they misappropriated money. But you go ahead in your ignorance.

Quote:
Translation> I would rather pay for damage to my vehicle due to terrible roads than fix the roads. On the plus side, I guess the repair shops profit and with no road repairs, you'll be a frequent customer.
You presume a lot. Translation - I’m ignorant of the facts, just want to lockstep with my masters in Sacramento and blindly pay additional taxes that aren’t needed.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:17 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So you don't like taxes and you don't trust the state ok I get that, but how the hell do you think roads are get fixed without it?
When's the last time you got to vote on a federal tax increase, or an executive order that changes policy, or an increase in the price of a postage stamp?
And you don't care that the government mishandles money and happily write a new check when they come asking for more? I understand that you as a retired gov employee have a vested interest to keep this Ponzi scheme going but everyone else is questioning it.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
Government wastes so much money. as a goverment employee you cant get fired so you don't have to do much. 5 guys standing around and 1 guy working.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Government wastes so much money. as a goverment employee you cant get fired so you don't have to do much. 5 guys standing around and 1 guy working.
Owning multiple business in CA I am in contact with Govt employees at various level of State, County and City. All have been very helpful.

It isn't the employees in general, though the unions protect the bad ones, but the Politicians and their friends who get hired to run new agencies, etc and are doing a lousy job.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? It’s stated fact that they misappropriated money. But you go ahead in your ignorance.

You presume a lot. Translation - I’m ignorant of the facts, just want to lockstep with my masters in Sacramento and blindly pay additional taxes that aren’t needed.
Funds were not misappropriated or stolen. Funds had earlier been moved from the general fund to transportation. Transportation subsequently has to transfer funds back to the general fund as the general fund is not used for transportation. California has always relied on fuel taxes for roads.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,273,421 times
Quote:
Funds were not misappropriated or stolen. Funds had earlier been moved from the general fund to transportation. Transportation subsequently has to transfer funds back to the general fund as the general fund is not used for transportation. California has always relied on fuel taxes for roads.
Link?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Link?
"Gov. Ronald Reagan imposed a statewide sales tax on gas for the expressed purpose of supporting the General Fund. The California Legislature, in 1990, given the large surpluses generated by the economy, eventually adopted a Republican idea, later championed by Gov. Gray Davis, to transfer a portion of the revenues generated by the sales tax of gas, to transportation under certain budget conditions. Of course, and in very short order, the dot.com bubble broke and the state budget was a wreck and this transfer was ended by the legislature.
This is the origin moment of the myth that transportation dollars have been diverted to General Fund purposes when the opposite is without a doubt the actual truth".

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/...-some-drivers/

Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,305,550 times
I would be curious would this be another failed ballot measure like many in California before i.e SB270 aka prop 67 where the only people who vote are the strong pro tax groups. Though its true that the gas tax has not be adjusted for inflation for many years. I guess California would not want Baja California to beat them in gas prices which was shortly the case back in 2017 when Mexico deregulated gas prices but before the new CA gas tax kicked in. Otherwise we will have more Baja residents from south of the border clogging our streets and causing wear and tear without paying for it.

While I don't like new taxes in already overtaxed California I would be curious of the consequences should the ballot measure worked and repealed the tax. Seeing how California works I would bet they would quickly think of a new way to screw the residents of their hard earned money and in worse ways than the gas tax.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-09-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California