Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:05 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times

Advertisements

Never been bothered by either Wall Street moguls OR drug lords as my life doesn't revolve around how others make money. But isn't it nice these vermin who profit from the production and distribution of drugs and weapons, not to mention human trafficking, have someone like you in their corner. No reason to even challenge your reasoning so good luck in Mexico or wherever your heart leads you, pittsflyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 11:34 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Same with most capitalists. I am not saying cartels are good people, I am saying they are the SAME as any goldman sachs or other such capitalist. Just because some guy in an office building does not have to get his hands dirty does not mean he is not morally bankrupt and equivalent to a drug cartel member.

But yet as americans we tolerate our own criminals and let them run the country through lobbys and other unscrupulus activities that bring suffering and sometimes death to average american people. Just because they are not pulling a trigger does not make them good people.

So when people say ooooohhhh theres drug cartels, its like lol, you lived among the most ruthless wolves in the USA that would watch you freeze to death from their bentleys after they just evicted you from their mega plex.

So for me, I am not going to live in fear of drug cartels when we live in one of the most morally bankrupt nations on the face of the earth. I have been to Mexico and its nice. Its little hot for my liking along the coast but I would love to visit the interiour some day high up in the mountians.
I see your equivalancy, pittsflyer. I have often made similar points about the realities of the consumer capitalist / Wall St. complex. One is every bit as murderous as the other ... in fact, the consumer capitalist culture we live in kills, maims, and crushes far more than cartels for sure.

That said, presenting the two as either / or / equivalencies ignores the foundational unacceptability of both. One is not “more honorable” than the other. Neither have a bit of honor or any redemable qualities. They are both pure psychopathic avarice and greed and violence.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:00 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
A little envious are you
Nope not at all, its nice there are nice places where these people arent.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see your equivalancy, pittsflyer. I have often made similar points about the realities of the consumer capitalist / Wall St. complex. One is every bit as murderous as the other ... in fact, the consumer capitalist culture we live in kills, maims, and crushes far more than cartels for sure.

That said, presenting the two as either / or / equivalencies ignores the foundational unacceptability of both. One is not “more honorable” than the other. Neither have a bit of honor or any redemable qualities. They are both pure psychopathic avarice and greed and violence.
I agree but US capitalists have FAR longer reach can can cause significantly more devastation. Drugs lords are only issues in certain areas.

And yes this is the fault of the average US citizen who chose to start leveraging themselves out on credit decades ago which made things super easy for capitalists to keep pumping up the value, artificailly, of key asset classes.

So now almost no one owns there home (unless you are a super old retiree or hier), many dont own their car and many are saddled with student debt and still dont have a good job. I am now reading linkedin posts where wealthy capitalists want to start buying up land in 3rd world countries and make the locals share croppers. So when the wealthy want to go into another country and buy up land and have it confiscated by authorities I find it difficult to have sympathy because I know what they are attempting to do.

I have to wonder if this supposid military retiree was not a general rank officer with a LARGE pension and a NICE house right on the beach. I highly doubt the mexican govt would roll in and take some E6's modest town house clustered in with everyone else. That just doesnt happen. But if you have beach front property you are renting not buying, its not like in the USA where a small oligarcy of filthy rich can come in and force people off rivers, lakes and oceans.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I agree but US capitalists have FAR longer reach can can cause significantly more devastation. Drugs lords are only issues in certain areas.

And yes this is the fault of the average US citizen who chose to start leveraging themselves out on credit decades ago which made things super easy for capitalists to keep pumping up the value, artificailly, of key asset classes.

So now almost no one owns there home (unless you are a super old retiree or hier), many dont own their car and many are saddled with student debt and still dont have a good job. I am now reading linkedin posts where wealthy capitalists want to start buying up land in 3rd world countries and make the locals share croppers. So when the wealthy want to go into another country and buy up land and have it confiscated by authorities I find it difficult to have sympathy because I know what they are attempting to do.

I have to wonder if this supposid military retiree was not a general rank officer with a LARGE pension and a NICE house right on the beach. I highly doubt the mexican govt would roll in and take some E6's modest town house clustered in with everyone else. That just doesnt happen. But if you have beach front property you are renting not buying, its not like in the USA where a small oligarcy of filthy rich can come in and force people off rivers, lakes and oceans.
Bubba ... the thing is: there’s no “BUT” about it. The use of”but” is a conjunction that raises issues of ‘exception’ ... in this case to essential, a-priori morals.

The murderous cartels are no less evil just because they have less agency and reach. A psychopathic murderer is a psychopathic murderer whether s/he is a mass murderer or simply an occasional one-off murderer. Sorry. That there dog you’ve got just don’t hunt, bro.

Enjoy Mexico all you want, though I’m staying right here at home ...

Old 08-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Bubba ... the thing is: there’s no “BUT” about it. The use of”but” is a conjunction that raises issues of ‘exception’ ... in this case to essential, a-priori morals.

The murderous cartels are no less evil just because they have less agency and reach. A psychopathic murderer is a psychopathic murderer whether s/he is a mass murderer or simply an occasional one-off murderer. Sorry. That there dog you’ve got just don’t hunt, bro.

Enjoy Mexico all you want, though I’m staying right here at home ...
Sure no less evil but agency and reach are a big deal. If some oligarch can leverage a drone strike on me anywhere in the world and another thug only has influence in a few city blocks of a given area, that is a BIG difference.

Not acnoloaging that difference or trying to trivialize is how we have what we have, basicly, an NSA/CIA/military with global reach to take someone out if they dont like something they are doing. It does not even have to be terrorizing innocent people. If I am working on disrupting the US economy or proliferating nuclear weapons, such as kadalfi was doing by starting an African currancy and central bank, guess what the USA will murder you.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Sure no less evil but agency and reach are a big deal. If some oligarch can leverage a drone strike on me anywhere in the world and another thug only has influence in a few city blocks of a given area, that is a BIG difference.

Not acnoloaging that difference or trying to trivialize is how we have what we have, basicly, an NSA/CIA/military with global reach to take someone out if they dont like something they are doing. It does not even have to be terrorizing innocent people. If I am working on disrupting the US economy or proliferating nuclear weapons, such as kadalfi was doing by starting an African currancy and central bank, guess what the USA will murder you.
No. It’s not. Have a nice day.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No. It’s not. Have a nice day.
And a passive aggressive good day to you as well.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:57 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
There is always room in Anahiem for one homeless more

https://kpbs.media.clients.ellington...1d859a8f88077d

this picture is now dated.

Speaking as someone who has USED that very bike trail, they spent a couple million cleaning it up, evicted the tents, and put up the homeless in hotels at taxpayer expense. It is a "major" story in LA/OC. I can provde links to youtube video if anybody doubts me.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:19 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
OK, to the original question of 'would you retire in Mexico' I say maybe, it depends.

C-D is not really the place where people who have loads of experience can share the experience with you, over the months and years of what they learned, the mistakes they have made, and where they had their triumphs and success.

I found a blog of a guy, who is in a similar line of work, and he detailed the nitty-gritty of many struggles he went thru, finding work as an American Expat, and how the social/nightlife/dating scene was very different. On top of that, he is what we call a "perpetual tourist" where he stays in one place for the legal limit to his visa, then he has to pack up and go to another country for a spell, then swing back.

I have dated several mexican girls, who came here to the US, I can say most of them had zero plans to ever go back. I have dated one mexican girl in mexico, so maybe I was the one to consider relocating (but even she settled in Coronado). So it's complex - you need a deeper reason and a person you can talk to EVERYDAY to really get the inside scoop.

I would retire there, if I was going there as a well-heeled, comfortably rich man. I wouldn't go there to live a 'subsistence' life. To be on a fixed-income, anywhere near the poverty line - is safer/better here in the US. I would choose a rural state in the US with a lower COL, over Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California