Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times

Advertisements

With so many hot locations in CA currently and millions of folks living in them, do most simply endure the heat when it comes? Or do some actually like the feel of it? By liking it I mean being active outdoors sweating it up rather than simply observing from an air conditioned home, gym or office.

I have seen folks playing tennis, golf and other activities in some sweltering locations like Phoenix, Palm Springs, etc... Then there's that crazy Death Valley race - the Badwater Ultramarathon. But I've never known anyone who actually likes it. Maybe some do?

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,101 times
The answer is no. Nobody enjoys being in scorching heat, especially knowing that a few miles away the weather is significantly better with the beach nearby. Those who live inland are settling. In SoCal it’s pretty much a game of “how much can I afford while being as close as to the beach as possible”.

The reason there are millions more people live in the San Fernando Valley is because there is simply more land than the limited coastal land. The way it works is that the SFV is jealous of the basin, the Santa Clarita Valley envys the SFV, and the Antelope Valley envys Santa Clarita and so on.

Same thing in Orange County and San Diego. Inland Empire envys OC and El Cajon/Temecula envy’s SD. All of Southern Nevada and Southern Arizona just wishes they were anywhere inside CA’s property state due to closer proximity to the coast.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:18 PM

764 posts, read 2,035,942 times
I like it. I think being outside in the heat actually feels therapeutic. I grew up in Fresno and we did all kinds of sports and activities in the heat. You'll find people running, cycling, etc. in the hot weather. As long as you're smart about it, it's doable.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,067 times
I prefer much cooler weather and these intense heat waves I just endure it. During the day I can get through it but at night I need to sleep with it as cool as possible. Of course the beach is great with the breezes and water which makes it bearable and the hot sand does wonders for the feet, but yeah let’s bring in October.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,451,996 times
Born and raised in Sacramento. Summer is 95+. A heat wave is 105+.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
My dog. She'll go lie out in the sun in the heat of the day and come back in all smiles and panting like she just came from an expensive spa treatment.

For me, no way.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Born and raised in Sacramento. Summer is 95+. A heat wave is 105+.
Yeah, I think the actual number varies relative to the area. For example, in Monterey our heatwaves begin at 85+ and are rare. And that is actually hot to us though tolerable. Never will it reach 90. Death Valley is probably 110+, etc...

So back to the original question. Do you endure it or enjoy it? And if 95+ is normal for Sac summers does that feel fine outside doing active things in it until it reaches 105+?

Derek

Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My dog. She'll go lie out in the sun in the heat of the day and come back in all smiles and panting like she just came from an expensive spa treatment.

For me, no way.
Well, at least the dog loves it! lol

NoMoreSnowForMe, we might need to change your name to NoMoreSnowOrSwelteringHeat!

That being the case, if you had to pick one which would it be?

Derek

Old 07-07-2018, 09:55 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,120 times
Well, I was born and raised in Indio, so obviously, I am no stranger to intense heat nor heat waves. For me, it normally doesn't start to feel hotter until +110°F, and I don't pay much mind to it as long as I am hydrated enough.

Sometimes, I go for a walk out in +110°F weather if I'm in the mood enough for it. I have even walked outside when it was around 120°F also.

So, I suppose that you could say that I can go both ways (either liking it or enduring it).

Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, at least the dog loves it! lol

NoMoreSnowForMe, we might need to change your name to NoMoreSnowOrSwelteringHeat!

That being the case, if you had to pick one which would it be?

Derek
LOL, so true. Well, between Redding and Crescent City weather, I'd choose CC in a heartbeat.

My saying in CC was, "It ain't too hot and it ain't snowing," so I would remember not to complain about the cloudy, rainy, windy days.

Fortunately, in San Jose, even if the days are hot, it really cools down at night.

But oh boy, if you told me I had to choose living in snow in winter vs. sweltering summers somewhere else...that would be a painful decision, but I'd probably have to go with sweltering summers. At least you don't have to sweep snow off your car, or put chains on your tires, or worry about frozen pipes or put on layers of clothing only to go inside somewhere like a restaurant or the grocery store, where you have to peel off the layers only to put them all back on.....

But, I'm glad I don't have to make that choice right now. Crossing fingers I never have to make that decision again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California