Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is true, but the OP says he uses public transportation in NYC. That's not an option here, so he is (potentially) going to have to switch over to dealing with driving in traffic and other headaches associated with car use, even if parking is not usually much of a problem.

Still, having lived in both places, that's not much. Also, there are a variety of other problems associated with living in NYC that can make life there far more stressful.

OC is easy; very, very easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:57 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And so we have another 3-post newbie who seeks the Fantasyland promised by "liberal' policies, but doesn't make the connection between those policies and streets despoiled by urban riffraff who simply seek to eat, copulate and defecate at the expense of the rest of us.

Non comps mentis?
Back at you with the bolded. You should just stay in the political forum.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:15 PM

13 posts, read 12,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I understand the need to get away from the hectic life and cold weather of NYC since I lived there (Manhattan) for a long time.

While I'm not in sales/marketing, my impression is that there are plenty of people in both Irvine and South OC who make a nice living that way.

So, it's seems to be entirely possible to live near the coast and enjoy the good weather while working in that field.

The kicker is that rents are high in OC, and it might be a challenge to find a 2 bedroom for $2100 or less. There are nice studios and one bedroom apartments.

You might want to try Indeed.com to see what's available.

As far as finding "liberal" areas, well, OC is changing politically and going in that direction, but few cities can actually be called liberal.

Laguna Beach is liberal, but also extremely expensive. Aliso Viejo is about 50:50 liberal/conservative, and Irvine may be politically liberal, but otherwise socially very conformist and unbending.

Regarding gas costs, of course, it would be best to live close to your new job, wherever that might be, since there is no real public transportation in Irvine or South OC.

Good Luck.
Thanks so much for the feedback! $2100 is definitely a really good deal even here. I actually most likely want to get a studio or 1 bedroom, but I would prefer less than $2000 for it.

Glad to hear someone who came from NYC! How are the people in the areas you mentioned vs California? I hear people in California are more laid back, is that true?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 12,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Still, having lived in both places, that's not much. Also, there are a variety of other problems associated with living in NYC that can make life there far more stressful.

OC is easy; very, very easy.
What are the stresses to look out for? I hear LA traffic is bad, is it like that everywhere? I am clueless, I've been on vacation in California a few times but it was years ago. I don't even know how much to calculate in my budget for gas or car insurance

Old 07-14-2018, 08:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, could you clarify for us, please, what you're looking for employment-wise, and living environment-wise? We'll be better able to help you meaningfully, if we have a clearer picture.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post
What are the stresses to look out for? I hear LA traffic is bad, is it like that everywhere? I am clueless, I've been on vacation in California a few times but it was years ago. I don't even know how much to calculate in my budget for gas or car insurance
Traffic is bad in all the desirable areas, so if you do not yet have a job, so you can get a place to rent close by it, you will potentially have a lot of traffic issues to deal with.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post
I don't live on LA, but the traffic there is bad. I live in Orange County in the city of Aliso Viejo, about midway between LA and San Diego. Traffic within this particular city, as in much of South Orange County, is a piece of cake.

It is crazy on the freeway, outside the city, during rush hour.

People complain (What's new?), but Aliso is only 7.47 sq miles and traffic flows smoothly. It's frustrating for some to wait at busy intersections since they all have left turn signals. Still, no one in AV lives more than 2-3 miles from the center of the city. A "long trip" might take 10 minutes when traffic is "bad."

Honestly, I can't think of very many "stresses" to look out for in this city. Yes, it can be annoying if the line at the grocery store is long, but that's true almost everywhere. On the bright side, there are plenty of stores to choose from, and fresh produce, unlike in NYC, is always available.

Oh, I know, it can be "stressful" if one decides to go to the beach (Laguna Beach) during tourist season. Solution: Don't go. Or, go very early in the morning, and also leave very early.

People complain about "June Gloom" when the marine layer spends a bit too much time over coastal cities.

Let's see, the gardeners' leaf blowers can be annoying. Hmmm, what else? You occasionally run across people who let their dogs run off leash in one of this small city's 23 parks.

Ah, Joe Coyote has to be watched because he will swoop away your small pet if given a chance.

Yeah, life is rough in South Orange County.

Gas is currently running at about $3.45-$3.75 a gallon:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=92656&fuel=1

Car insurance varies with the type of vehicle, coverage, city, and company. You could use Google to check rates.

If you are thinking of locating into LA, then, I'm sure you could use feedback from residents of that city.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Show and Tell time.

Cheesy and dry official video, but this gives a quick overview of Aliso Viejo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplA4VMQrns

HA! Here's a more jazzed-up, but still quick, private version (I have no association with the company that produced this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgGMqlB4W4

Last edited by pacific2; 07-14-2018 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I have no argument that OC is in general less stressful than NYC. Just about anywhere would be less stressful!

On the other hand, even supposing a person could manage to spend their entire life within the city limits of Aliso Viejo (which is doubtful), they might be less stressed, but they also might die of boredom.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have no argument that OC is in general less stressful than NYC. Just about anywhere would be less stressful!

On the other hand, even supposing a person could manage to spend their entire life within the city limits of Aliso Viejo (which is doubtful), they might be less stressed, but they also might die of boredom.
The same could be said of any OC city, including Rancho Santa Margarita. However, as you said, it's doubtful that anyone would spend their entire life within the city.

NYC, on the other hand, is super charged, and there is no way that anyone could possibly die of boredom there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California