Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
It's all well and good that you're happy with you're move to GA. Just don't be making up lies about how you can get 90% in GA that you can in CA. You're deceiving and misleading people, especially those who want to enjoy the great outdoors as much as possible.

CA & the West offer the greatest outdoor recreational opportunities in the country.
No they're right. It's just that Georgia like NC doesn't tout itself. In both states you have beaches and mountains withing a 3-4 hour drive from each other.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, people are now discovering this and the sky rocketing real estate shows as such. They pulled down my favorite boiled peanut shack and put up live/work/play homes from the 800k... Damn Yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 11:56 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,025 times
Quote:
It's not relative. TBH, we're just never going to see eye-to-eye. If you can't even admit that CA & the West in general is a better place for outdoor lovers due to the sheer amount of public land, National Parks, and spectacular scenery in comparison to the South, then you're just in denial. Just look at the numbers.
CA & the West offer the greatest outdoor recreational opportunities in the country.
I really don't care about outdoor recreation. The outdoor recreation info is completely irrelevant to me. I have lived in California for 25 years and I have never been to Yosemite. Also I really dislike mountains. I find them oppressive and I don't like driving on mountain roads.

Another subject California excels in is Chess. California has almost 400 players rated 2000 and above. This is even above New York. Georgia has less than 50 players rated above 2000. California is the best place in the country for competitive chess players. However if one does not play competitive chess this info is meaningless.

There are also many things I like about California. California has the most diverse Asian cuisine in the United States. The Bay area probably has the best Indian food in the USA as I described in this previous post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post20431025

However my cousin who lives in the Midwest and has never tried Indian food finds this info completely useless.

I also am planning a Thanksgiving week trip to LA. I am looking forward to visiting Koreatown,Little Tokyo, Little India in Artesia, Thai Town in East Hollywood, Little Cambodia in Long Beach and the fabulous Little Saigon in Westminster. I am also planning to visit some great gyms in the LA area like Gold's in Venice(aka "The Mecca"),Metroflex in Long Beach and the hidden Iron Bodies Gym in Santa Ana. I also hope to see a Lakers games at Staples if I can get some good tickets. Not really interested in travelling to the wilderness to just see "big rocks and big trees".

All this info about the greatness of California is insignificant to the OP who cannot afford a decent house or condo in coastal California. If one lives in Atlanta they might suffer for the 37 days/year when the temperature climbs above 90. However if one can't afford a livable place in CA they will suffer 365 days/year in a substandard apartment.

Last edited by capoeira; 07-23-2018 at 12:58 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post

So,let's look at what you do 90 percent of your life, not your vacations and weekends. All the places you want to go spend a week at I can easily spend a week there too. Because of my financial advantage I can actually spend more time enjoying those places than you can. .
I completely agree about Georgia offering 90% of the Bay area! Here is a previous post comparing life in SF to life in Gwinnett County.

//www.city-data.com/forum/3440218-post27.html

I think the only advantages of the Bay area are the mild summer weather and the early start to Monday night football!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Georgia is beautiful has ocean, forests hills, low cost of living. Savannah is one of my fav southern cities. Love the cemetery's there. The op should seriously consider moving there.
Savannah is a great choice and there are several under $400k housing options there. For $315k one could be in a condo near the historic downtown with a walkscore of 81.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ga/savannah...01--1004662628

Or one could get a respectable looking house for just under $200k.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ga/savannah...05--1010478125

Or one could go really cheap with a townhome for $134k.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ga/savannah...19--1002168098

At 1500 sq ft. it is bigger than most 900k houses in the city of San Francisco!

If the OP really wants to stick with California there is always the Sacramento area. One can still get a basic house in suburban Sacramento for under $400k.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/elk-grov...58--2085765418

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/rancho-c...70--2085585687

Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM

10,276 posts, read 8,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I completely agree about Georgia offering 90% of the Bay area! Here is a previous post comparing life in SF to life in Gwinnett County.

//www.city-data.com/forum/3440218-post27.html

I think the only advantages of the Bay area are the mild summer weather and the early start to Monday night football!
I will concede a few things that may not be important to some.
In California I had a few favorite Americanized Chinese restaurants. So far I haven't found any here I like as much.
BBQ here is much better and plentiful.

I'm still a huge longtime warrior fan and I do have to stay up pretty late to catch some games so that's a bit of a drawback. Luckily I can sleep in the next day.

Living in the valley in Pleasanton the weather has more variety than it used too. I don't know if the weather was changing, but in the evenings in the winter I'd often see the temperature drop to the 30s whereas many years ago I was amazed to see it hit the 40s. The summers were often quite hot. Saw a lot of 90s and it seemed every summer we'd have a heatwave or two hitting the 100s making outdoor activities a bit more limited. What was peculiar was the last 2 years before I left California was actually seeing humidity creeping up. I have never experienced that in California.
Global warming?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 PM

156 posts, read 161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I really don't care about outdoor recreation. The outdoor recreation info is completely irrelevant to me. I have lived in California for 25 years and I have never been to Yosemite. Also I really dislike mountains. I find them oppressive and I don't like driving on mountain roads.

Another subject California excels in is Chess. California has almost 400 players rated 2000 and above. This is even above New York. Georgia has less than 50 players rated above 2000. California is the best place in the country for competitive chess players. However if one does not play competitive chess this info is meaningless.

There are also many things I like about California. California has the most diverse Asian cuisine in the United States. The Bay area probably has the best Indian food in the USA as I described in this previous post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post20431025

However my cousin who lives in the Midwest and has never tried Indian food finds this info completely useless.

I also am planning a Thanksgiving week trip to LA. I am looking forward to visiting Koreatown,Little Tokyo, Little India in Artesia, Thai Town in East Hollywood, Little Cambodia in Long Beach and the fabulous Little Saigon in Westminster. I am also planning to visit some great gyms in the LA area like Gold's in Venice(aka "The Mecca"),Metroflex in Long Beach and the hidden Iron Bodies Gym in Santa Ana. I also hope to see a Lakers games at Staples if I can get some good tickets. Not really interested in travelling to the wilderness to just see "big rocks and big trees".

All this info about the greatness of California is insignificant to the OP who cannot afford a decent house or condo in coastal California. If one lives in Atlanta they might suffer for the 37 days/year when the temperature climbs above 90. However if one can't afford a livable place in CA they will suffer 365 days/year in a substandard apartment.
There's nothing wrong with that. Some people prefer the indoors to the outdoors. You're more of a city mouse, I'm a country mouse. Though I've never heard anybody say they found mountains oppressive. That's a first. lol

I love to breath the sweet mountain air and go apple picking in the fall & strawberry picking in the spring. Stand on top of the mountain & see God's Country all around me for miles & miles. Be surrounded by wildlife & natural features instead of man-made ones. Become spiritually rejuvenated by the peace & tranquility of the mountains.

Anyways, tt sounds like a fun trip to LA! I'm glad you're avoiding the touristy, overrated stuff like Hollywood Walk of Fame and having a foodie trip. Thanks to my wife, I've really acquired a taste for Asian cuisine, in particular Thai food. Might have to check out Thai Town pretty soon. Fun Factoid: It's the only designated "Thai Town" in America.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,902,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Hi All,
Came out to South OC about 12 years ago, love it here. But reality check says I'll never be able to own any sort of home here I'd like.

So where to folks that like CA, but want more house go?

I've heard things like "Prescott Az", "Bend Or" and others...

Anyone know where folks migrate to, that actually like SoCal, and they end up happy?
Have you not considered the Inland Empire? Eastvale, Murietta, and Temecula are all newer, upscale suburbs close to the OC, and far more affordable.

As a lifelong Southern Californian, I actually love the Gulf Coast. The Gulf Coast has scenery and weather that could rival anywhere in California. Maybe Houston or Orlando will do it for you. Austin has breathtaking hills, and it stays much greener than SoCal during the summer.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Have you not considered the Inland Empire? Eastvale, Murietta, and Temecula are all newer, upscale suburbs close to the OC, and far more affordable.

As a lifelong Southern Californian, I actually love the Gulf Coast. The Gulf Coast has scenery and weather that could rival anywhere in California. Maybe Houston or Orlando will do it for you. Austin has breathtaking hills, and it stays much greener than SoCal during the summer.
Houston was pretty meh when I stayed there for a month. Humidity was a killer and found the city to be pretty bland. At least it's close to the coast and has cheaper housing costs. I get the feeling though that it wouldn't interest the OP.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,902,304 times
Quote:
Houston was pretty meh when I stayed there for a month. Humidity was a killer and found the city to be pretty bland. At least it's close to the coast and has cheaper housing costs. I get the feeling though that it wouldn't interest the OP.
Houston has a large Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indian population. The ethnic food matches or exceeds Orange County.

If you find Houston, the 4th largest city in the country bland, then surely the OC, a collection of masterplanned suburbs, is bland. Yes, Houston has tons of cookie cutter sprawl, but same with the OC. Is your issue with the absolutely flat terrain of Houston vs. Orange County? I don't know about you, but I'd trade Saddleback Mountain, bone dry, barren hillsides, and chilly OC beaches for the 85 degree Gulf waters, bayous, and pine forests, even if it's pancake-flat. Who really needs skiing in tiny, drought-stricken Big Bear ski slopes anyways? If I ski I'd fly to Colorado or Utah. Plus, Houston has Texan and Southern heritage, while California has no unique accent, no unique food of its own other than Bulgogi beef (just kidding, that's Korean).

Yes, Houston is hot and humid, but the rain helps cool things off, and provide some excitement (vs. OC's bone dry, monotonously sunny summers). Other things that moderate Houston mugginess: AC (which is everywhere in Houston), as well as a well-insulated house with plenty of shade trees planted around it. If it's too warm at night, just sleep without a blanket and turn on the ceiling fan.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Houston has a large Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indian population. The ethnic food matches or exceeds Orange County.

If you find Houston, the 4th largest city in the country bland, then surely the OC, a collection of masterplanned suburbs, is bland. Yes, Houston has tons of cookie cutter sprawl, but same with the OC. Is your issue with the absolutely flat terrain of Houston vs. Orange County? I don't know about you, but I'd trade Saddleback Mountain, bone dry, barren hillsides, and chilly OC beaches for the 85 degree Gulf waters, bayous, and pine forests, even if it's pancake-flat. Who really needs skiing in tiny, drought-stricken Big Bear ski slopes anyways? If I ski I'd fly to Colorado or Utah. Plus, Houston has Texan and Southern heritage, while California has no unique accent, no unique food of its own other than Bulgogi beef (just kidding, that's Korean).

Yes, Houston is hot and humid, but the rain helps cool things off, and provide some excitement (vs. OC's bone dry, monotonously sunny summers). Other things that moderate Houston mugginess: AC (which is everywhere in Houston), as well as a well-insulated house with plenty of shade trees planted around it. If it's too warm at night, just sleep without a blanket and turn on the ceiling fan.
The OP is the one that loves OC. I don't believe he mentioned anything about Asian cuisine, that was another poster.

Personally, 85 degree beach water when it's hot & humid as hell outside is not appealing to me. It feels like I"m taking a bath, no thanks. I rather have colder water to refresh myself on a hot day.

Texas has that nasty Tex-Mex, fake Mexican food. California has real, authentic Mexican cuisine which is my favorite food of all time. TX excels in BBQ, no doubt. But California is a foodie paradise, especially if you want healthier, organic cuisine. In general, Texan food is not healthy which is why it is the 8th highest most obese state in the nation.

Also,the majority of Texas landscape is flat and unremarkable as hell. Parts of it are pretty, but most of it is not.

So you would trade the emerald waters of Laguna Beach for the brown waters of Galveston Beach? Cool beans. Not me.

California has cool history as well. Juan Cabrillo actually landed on the West Coast before the Pilgrims did on Plymoth Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California