U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,124,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
Dallas TX, Austin TX, Phoenix AZ, Seattle WA, Portland OR, Houston TX, Atlanta GA, Las Vegas NV and Denver CO is what comes to my mind first.
Seattle is very expensive. And, it is not like California weather-wise. Maybe the politics as they are moving more radically to the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 PM

5,836 posts, read 12,754,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Hi All,
Came out to South OC about 12 years ago, love it here. But reality check says I'll never be able to own any sort of home here I'd like.

So where to folks that like CA, but want more house go?

I've heard things like "Prescott Az", "Bend Or" and others...

Anyone know where folks migrate to, that actually like SoCal, and they end up happy?
We're sort of in your same boat. We love CA and moved out from coastal SoCal once already. Bought a big, cheap house in CO with a view of the Rocky Mtns. It was awesome... until it wasn't anymore and we missed CA too much. So we returned home to an even better, nicer part of the state (for us) in Monterey. We've been living in Monterey for over 10 years now and it still feels like a dream, seriously. We literally couldn't wait to return home after about a week on vacation in Hawaii.

However, like you we are priced out of the market here. We've combed the state far and wide looking for the next best fit considering all the things *we* enjoy and hold dear. Basically, the greater Sacramento area was the next best (affordable) thing around the foothills - Auburn, Grass Valley, El Dorado Hills. We compared that to some out of state options in our next favorite states which are WA and OR. After more research and time spent there, we are leaning toward WA (Vancouver or Olympia). Both have many of the outdoor activities we enjoy, some more so (Columbia River Gorge, The Sound, lakes, rivers, Mt. Rainier NP, Olympic NP, rugged PNW coast, San Juan Islands, etc...) But no place will have weather as perfect as Monterey for us. My wife's family lives in San Diego and I'm from Manhattan/Hermosa Beach. So we've also lived in those SoCal coastal areas for a long time as well. I also did my undergrad in the Inland Empire and couldn't wait to get out of that place.

Basically, you have to take everyone's input with a Big grain of salt. Then really think carefully and honestly about what you enjoy most. That is what is most important. Next, think about what you are willing to give up if you want to own a home, like perfect weather. And start walking down that path. Ok, so if the weather wasn't perfect what could you live with vs. could not stand? For us, we're ok with a cooler climate and more rain vs. somewhere hotter all the time. So the PNW works for us more. However, for some others, they just have to have the heat and sun - max sunny days is their thing! Who needs rain, right? So maybe AZ is better or even inland CA (Central Valley, Inland Empire, Inland San Diego County) if you're ok with the added heat.

Finally, when you think you've clearly identified your own strong preferences vs. someone elses (our Colorado lesson) go visit, preferably multiple times. If all else sucks badly in comparison, just accept you will be renting in your preferred location for a very long time. Or wait out the next market crash if/when that ever happens. Hey, for some renting a lifetime is ok, seriously. In other cultures it is perfectly normal and actually for many Californias its an accepted thing to enjoy living in such a beautiful place.

As always, YMMV.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-20-2018 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 PM

18,181 posts, read 11,411,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Nothing is like it was but you can still park on the street at Corona and walk down to the beaches.
I visit it every time I am there and will be again in a couple of weeks. If no parking spaces open on the street I will drive down to the State parking lot and ...pay to park.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,522,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
I never wanted a 6 bedroom, 5,200 square foot house! We are happy with our small home less than a mile from the beach and in a very walkable area. Different people want different things. Many of us that love living near the beach in SoCal can do with less because what we gain in coastal living is well worth it to us.
La Jolla is an awesome place. I fell in love with that place the first time I saw it.
I would be happy in a small house there like you, but how much to buy a house there like that now?
I have a large house because it is cheaper for me than a 1600 sq ft house.
I have a daylight walk out basement that serves as an in law suite and the renter pays over half my mortgage.
After tax deductions my net housing expense is about 1300 a month inc piti and utilities.
In a year my property taxes will drop and it will drop to about 1k a month.
I wasn't planning on getting a house that large, but after running the numbers it made sense to go large.
I may start up my photography business part time so the extra room stores all my photo equipment from my 3000 sq ft studio I had in California. I also have 2 large adjoining room I can use for my office/studio. I wanted that option.
Is the chart house still there or is it gone?
Congrats on getting a home in a great area. Have you owned it long?

Last edited by aslowdodge; 07-20-2018 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
How does one earn or obtain most of $2M in 3 years? *That* is an interesting question.

That said, Atlanta in definitely on my list of "never unless I'm starving" places.

I truly don't understand why anyone would want to live in places like Detriot, Atlanta, NYC, LA, and so on. (Any big, high crime city basically.)
For me it was real,estate and forcing equity. I feel your pain. I'm older and was facing an uncertain financial future. I didn't want to,leave ca, but when you back is to the wall, you try to figure out options.
I'm actually butted up against Atlanta in a town called Marietta. My neighborhood and most of my area is extremely safe and low crime. I lived in Pleasanton which is a pretty well off area in the Bay Area. I feel like where I am at is the equivalent.
Like I said earlier, it's a mistake to generalize a city. Even in the Detroit area there are affluent safe areas.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
You sound torn, since it seems that you want to stay in this general area, but you also have thoughts of owning a large home, but due to high local prices, that would have to be elsewhere.

I have a few "hard" questions. Since you are now 55 years old, have you considered how much labor and money could potentially be involved down the road in the maintenance of a large house on a big lot? Are you prepared for possibly ever-increasing property taxes on that spread?

Also, what is your budget? Have you searched to see if you could find a reasonably priced condo/townhouse so that you would not have to leave South County where, as in all of CA, property taxes are pretty much set?
I must have missed it. I don't think the op wants a bigger home as much as he doesn't want a condo, doesn't like the style.
Based on his income and financial history I think his budget is limited.
I think he will be forced inland.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 PM

1,505 posts, read 654,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
We're sort of in your same boat. We love CA and moved out from coastal SoCal once already. Bought a big, cheap house in CO with a view of the Rocky Mtns. It was awesome... until it wasn't anymore and we missed CA too much. So we returned home to an even better, nicer part of the state (for us) in Monterey. We've been living in Monterey for over 10 years now and it still feels like a dream, seriously. We literally couldn't wait to return home after about a week on vacation in Hawaii.

However, like you we are priced out of the market here. We've combed the state far and wide looking for the next best fit considering all the things *we* enjoy and hold dear. Basically, the greater Sacramento area was the next best (affordable) thing around the foothills - Auburn, Grass Valley, El Dorado Hills. We compared that to some out of state options in our next favorite states which are WA and OR. After more research and time spent there, we are leaning toward WA (Vancouver or Olympia). Both have many of the outdoor activities we enjoy, some more so (Columbia River Gorge, The Sound, lakes, rivers, Mt. Rainier NP, Olympic NP, rugged PNW coast, San Juan Islands, etc...) But no place will have weather as perfect as Monterey for us. My wife's family lives in San Diego and I'm from Manhattan/Hermosa Beach. So we've also lived in those SoCal coastal areas for a long time as well. I also did my undergrad in the Inland Empire and couldn't wait to get out of that place.

Basically, you have to take everyone's input with a Big grain of salt. Then really think carefully and honestly about what you enjoy most. That is what is most important. Next, think about what you are willing to give up if you want to own a home, like perfect weather. And start walking down that path. Ok, so if the weather wasn't perfect what could you live with vs. could not stand? For us, we're ok with a cooler climate and more rain vs. somewhere hotter all the time. So the PNW works for us more. However, for some others, they just have to have the heat and sun - max sunny days is their thing! Who needs rain, right? So maybe AZ is better or even inland CA (Central Valley, Inland Empire, Inland San Diego County) if you're ok with the added heat.

Finally, when you think you've clearly identified your own strong preferences vs. someone elses (our Colorado lesson) go visit, preferably multiple times. If all else sucks badly in comparison, just accept you will be renting in your preferred location for a very long time. Or wait out the next market crash if/when that ever happens. Hey, for some renting a lifetime is ok, seriously. In other cultures it is perfectly normal and actually for many Californias its an accepted thing to enjoy living in such a beautiful place.

As always, YMMV.

Derek
Nailed it. Great post

Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 PM

5,076 posts, read 6,620,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I must have missed it. I don't think the op wants a bigger home as much as he doesn't want a condo, doesn't like the style.
Based on his income and financial history I think his budget is limited.
I think he will be forced inland.
Of course, the OP would have to clarify since it's not very clear, but it sounds like a combination of not wanting a small condo plus, wanting a large house:

Quote:
I'm with you on this, there are aspects of CA I don't care for... the "taxed everything" and "regulated everything" aspects naturally.

But all said, I'd be happy as a clam here, except the place I lease was bought a few years back by Irvine Corp... and I swear they are in my living space every few months... repiping, air filter changes, check the water meters, blah blah blah. No privacy at all, and they've made it like living in a construction zone constantly.

I'm a somewhat private person as far as my living space goes...

I mean, of I owned this unit and could lock the front door to outsiders (read that Irvine Corp maintenance folks) I'd live here forever if need be. Everything I need is in walking distance, and I just like it here.

I feel at peace here, except for my "digs", LOL!

For me, that's been a rare thing in this life.

Yes, I really, really want a large home... on a decent chunk of land. But I'll never have it here, that's to be sure.

There was a lot at the top of the hill over in Laguna Beach in "Top of the World"... last lot next to the cul-de-sac and the park... *That's* the spot I really wanted... never did price it... was definitely out of reach... someone finally built on it...

Anyway, I digress. Aside from my aggravation with Irvine Corp. (and to be honest MV gov't that's in here inspecting fire sprinklers and alarms every year, etc.) I just like it here. They're going to be in here next week to "do maintenance on the water meters"... It's just getting old being a "tenant" and other folks having "right of access"... That's not a home. It's a barracks or a stall or something... it's being a cow milked for rent.

Cried the first time I had to leave because of career. Came back when I could.

And the pressure is on to do something as the Property Management is telling me that end-of-lease they may choose to not renew as there are about 10% remaining units in here Irvine Corp. wants to refurbish or some such.

So like it or not I have to move in the next 12-14 months.

The question is where.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:10 PM

555 posts, read 209,112 times
Go inland
Riverside/temecula/palmdale or the central valley if you cant afford socal

Weather isnt as bad as ppl make it out to be and youll be 1 hour to 2 hours from the coast, depending where you live.
Its upper 80s/lower 90s right now and it feels great being outside cause theres a lot of cool wind coming from the ocean(im in fresno).
If you move to az or vegas, youll be stuck with that desert wind ;p
And the south is mostly humid as f..
Gl, op

Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 PM

151 posts, read 94,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

As always, YMMV.

Derek
Sad to hear we'll be losing you Derek. I consider you one of the finest posters on the CA forums. Your insight, perspective, and beautiful photography will be greatly missed.

You're actually one of the few posters I wouldn't mind posting on our forums even if you lived out of state. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or