U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 PM

237 posts, read 165,069 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Came out to South OC about 12 years ago, love it here. But reality check says I'll never be able to own any sort of home here I'd like.

So where to folks that like CA, but want more house go?

I've heard things like "Prescott Az", "Bend Or" and others...

Anyone know where folks migrate to, that actually like SoCal, and they end up happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 PM

192 posts, read 101,923 times
Dallas TX, Austin TX, Phoenix AZ, Seattle WA, Portland OR, Houston TX, Atlanta GA, Las Vegas NV and Denver CO is what comes to my mind first.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 PM

18,596 posts, read 24,269,411 times
Had friends from SoCal who bought in Reno, NV area, lasted a year, then sold it and bought a home in Oceanside.

You can probably find something you can afford, just maybe not in the exact location you'd prefer.

From my experience, if you love CA, you're better off finding a compromise within CA than moving to another state. Unless you just can't find a job in any affordable areas.

But, there will always be a trade-off. And be sure you really understand the tax structures of wherever you are looking at, that might seem cheaper. Because if there are amenities there, there are taxes. And many places outside of CA will reassess your property and hike up your taxes. Here, we have Prop 13, which keeps your assessed value at the value you purchase it, forever. That's pretty amazing and shouldn't be discounted.

Just speaking as someone who moved away and was never really happy anywhere else. People in CA forget to check out other options in this state before looking outside the state. This is a huge state with lots of options. If you can't afford Beverly Hills, there's always other options like Oceanside, etc.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM

151 posts, read 93,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Had friends from SoCal who bought in Reno, NV area, lasted a year, then sold it and bought a home in Oceanside.

You can probably find something you can afford, just maybe not in the exact location you'd prefer.

From my experience, if you love CA, you're better off finding a compromise within CA than moving to another state. Unless you just can't find a job in any affordable areas.

But, there will always be a trade-off. And be sure you really understand the tax structures of wherever you are looking at, that might seem cheaper. Because if there are amenities there, there are taxes. And many places outside of CA will reassess your property and hike up your taxes. Here, we have Prop 13, which keeps your assessed value at the value you purchase it, forever. That's pretty amazing and shouldn't be discounted.

Just speaking as someone who moved away and was never really happy anywhere else. People in CA forget to check out other options in this state before looking outside the state. This is a huge state with lots of options. If you can't afford Beverly Hills, there's always other options like Oceanside, etc.
Love reading your posts. Where are you from originally? What part of CA are you living now?

I'm like you. I could never live outside the state. The top 3 reasons why I love it here:

1. Biodiversity:CA has it all. Beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, lakes, rivers, islands, canyons, volcanoes, hot springs, etc.

2. Public Land:Approximately half the state is protected and set aside for public use. So many states prohibit their citizens from enjoying the land by privatizing the majority of it like Texas, Maine, Oklahoma, Ohio, etc.

3. Recreation: The sheer amount of cool things to do here is incredible. For example, last weekend I went to the San Diego Zoo. This weekend I'm going to Seaworld. In 2 weeks I"m going to Big Bear for a week. I'm most likely taking my wife to Laguna Beach for her birthday in August. I'm taking my son to Disneyland on his birthday in September.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,928,994 times
Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Yeah, you can't afford a home in OC that you'd like. Maybe Temecula? Or (gasp) Hemet? You don't have to leave Southern California to find more affordable real estate than Southern Orange County. The beach is a lot closer to communities in Riverside County than it is to Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM

7,451 posts, read 4,645,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalocker View Post
Want to know something stranger than fiction? Alabama has just a small section of beach. It's overwhelmingly better than any beach in CA or on the west coast. Should you move to Alabama? No idea. But facts are facts.

People in CA do not know how much nicer the beaches are in the gulf. Shhhh..
The OP didn't mention beaches. If he'd said, "Where are the beaches better, by XYZ criteria, than they are in SoCal?", then the Gulf would no doubt have come up.

In fact, we don't know anything about the OP other than that he loves SoCal but wants to live in a bigger house. It would be helpful to know what specific aspects of the area he really likes. Is the beach? the weather? the amenities? The fact that he even mentioned Prescott, AZ and Bend, OR implies that the beach is not vital.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,814,601 times
OP, what do you have in mind for a budget?

Do you want a single family home, or would you be OK with a condo/townhome? Do you want a more urban setting, or are you OK with a small town or a rural/semi-rural area? How important is weather to you? Are jobs and schools a consideration for you?

It's awfully tough to make recommendations without knowing your answers to these questions.

And, what makes a place "perfect" for one person may not make YOU happy.

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM

80,972 posts, read 74,061,957 times
Some folks go to Gold Country; the Sierra foothills. There are lakes up there, if you like proximity to water, beaches. A few go to the north Coast, though it can be pricey up there, too, depending. Some move to Sacramento. Some stay in place, but downsize their expectations to a townhouse or condo. Some go for communities in the early stages of gentrification; Vallejo, on San Francisco Bay, is such a place. Check out the RE prices there (but don't wait too long, as rock-bottom prices are already going up and up).

What kind of job market do you require? That would help you identify viable options.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:26 PM

151 posts, read 93,959 times
Lol Sure dude.

Alabama Gulf Shores

Laguna Beach

The problem with the Alabama Gulf Coast is that it's flat as a pancake. There's no dramatic scenery like Big Sur or Torrey Pines.

Sure the white sand & different shades of color looks pretty nice, but to say the beaches are a lot better than CA is laughable. Also, those high-rises on AL Gulf Shores & Orange Beach look tacky as hell. Very Florida-esque.

Last edited by RuggedAlpha; 07-19-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,112,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Lol Sure dude.

Alabama Gulf Shores

Laguna Beach

The problem with the Alabama Gulf Coast is that it's a flat as a pancake. There's no dramatic scenery like Big Sur or Torrey Pines.

Sure the white sand & different shades of color looks pretty nice, but to say the beaches are a lot better than CA is laughable. Also, those high-rises on AL Gulf Shores & Orange Beach look tacky as hell. Very Florida-esque.
Nice shot of Treasure Island.

Anyone who wants a house there better have 20m and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or