Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 AM

13,514 posts, read 7,870,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
All you have to do is move somewhere else and you will regularly be saying - this is why I don't hate CA.

See that enormous scorpion climbing on the wall? This is why I don't hate CA.

Feel that god-awful humidity? This is why I don't hate CA.

Smell that smog? This is why I don't hate CA.

On and on. If you were born and raised here, you really do need to move somewhere else to get perspective. And then, of course, come back.

There's no such thing as a perfect place. But, another thing I don't hate about CA is that we keep trying to get it right - for everyone. Not just rich people or white people, etc.

I spent my first 25 years in San Francisco, 3 in Dallas Tx, 8 in San Diego, 10 overseas and now time in Gilbert Az.

I always liked SF esp the weather and the fact you don't need a car. However, the cost of housing makes the city not worth it. Better to rent out my home for almost 50 grand a year and live somewhere else.

San Diego the weather is fine but you need a car and I'm not a fan of the Southern Cal traffic.

Dallas Tx didn't like the weather. The cost of housing was very affordable but Dallas just wasn't for me.

Spent time in Osaka, Japan. Great public transportation, very safe. Weather? Not a fan of cold winters at all. Also cost of living is extremely high.

Gilbert AZ cost of living is o.k. July and August? You best be sure the AC is working but other than that I like it. Traffic isn't as bad as Southern Cal but it's on its way.

The winner for me is Gilbert. I can live a comfortably life with a nice home in a safe area near plenty of shopping and whatnot. And while I don't like July and August I can deal with it.

For me Cal just isn't worth the cost of housing in the major urban areas. The weather in many parts is perfect esp. San Francisco (not too hot or cold) but if someone wants to pay me $4150 a month to rent my house. Fine. I'll go somewhere else. (The couple renting from me earn 250 grand a year. One works for Google and the other a law firm) It should also be noted if Prop 13 were removed I would find myself paying an additional $1400 or so in property tax for the privilege of owning in SF.

No, I'm getting out and selling while housing prices are at a record high..

I still like to visit SF though. Walk to SF State, walk around downtown and visit GG park.

But after a few days I don't mind leaving. I've noticed a weird vibe which I attribute to people feeling frustrated. Who wants to be 35 years old and living in a rental house with three roommates. Then you see some guy in the morning hop on a Google bus. And you just know he's making more than what you pull in working at a coffee shop.

Southern Cal? Not particularly interested in returning. Never was one for the beaches or hanging out around a pool. I liked going camping in Yosemite a couple of times a year during my youth but never the beach. Can't swim.

Last edited by john3232; 07-31-2018 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 AM

26,659 posts, read 26,633,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Prop 13 runs the risk of being repealed if the Dems regain a super majority. Cal. needs the money and there already has been such talk among Dem politicians.
Doubtful. There would probably be another taxpayer revolt. If anything, the corporate tax loophole will most likely be changed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ange-prop.html

https://www.hjta.org/propositions/pr...-13-look-back/

Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Doubtful. There would probably be another taxpayer revolt. If anything, the corporate tax loophole will most likely be changed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ange-prop.html

https://www.hjta.org/propositions/pr...-13-look-back/
Not at all and those like yours truly who bought a home in 1996 for $250,000 that's now worth 2 million will get smashed hard in the pocket book. The prevailing wisdom used to be property owners held the power because they had the money. However. the tide turns when renters significantly outnumber those who own. Then it's a race for politicians to side with renters. I saw this first hand in San Francisco as home values and rents began to rise.

This is how dismantling Prop 13 starts:
A major change to Proposition 13 takes its first step toward the 2018 ballot

I belong to this organization which is fighting to keep Prop. 13 intact
https://www.hjta.org

Then there is the Costa Hawkins ballot measure
A single law is devastating the affordability of housing in California. Repeal Costa-Hawkins

The Cal Apartment association is spending big bucks to defeat the Costa Hawkins bill.

Many Democratic politicians in Cal have been itching for some time to remove Prop. 13 and I see the same tide that turned against property owners in SF turning across the state.

A ballot measure to repeal Costa-Hawkins? A ballot measure to chip away at Prop 13? And SF home prices at a record high?

Time for this property owner to cash out.

Last edited by john3232; 07-31-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 AM

255 posts, read 182,871 times
I do like the scenery and history, but overall it's a ridiculously greedy state.stop giving away government assistance and start making parks and recreation free!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 AM

21,672 posts, read 16,211,923 times
Quote:
... However. the tide turns when renters significantly outnumber those who own. Then it's a race for politicians to side with renters.
Um, actually ... politicians tend to side with monied interests... you know: like the people who own all those rentals?

But, that detail aside - Prop 13 will remain a political 3rd rail for a long time for lots of reasons.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,665,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

I wear my California (and especially Northern California) T-shirt proudly. No other state comes as close to ours in environmental protection and Public Health, and that matters a lot to me. I am also glad that the states to our north, thus the entire West Coast, are blue states.
Thank you for perfectly articulating my feelings too!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,665,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
All you have to do is move somewhere else and you will regularly be saying - this is why I don't hate CA.
Oh, no lie! And you forgot "-30 deg with the wind chill and four foot drifts to shovel through: that's also why I don't hate California!"

Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um, actually ... politicians tend to side with monied interests... you know: like the people who own all those rentals?

But, that detail aside - Prop 13 will remain a political 3rd rail for a long time for lots of reasons.

Nope.. Prop. 13 is no longer considered a political 3rd rail. I provided a link in my previous post to a current Cal. ballot measure this year designed to chips away at Prop. 13.

Democratic governor hopefuls take on single-payer care, Prop. 13 changes

On Prop. 13, Villaraigosa and Eastin said reforms are needed in the 1978 measure that capped property-tax increases for homes and businesses. Under the law, properties can be reassessed only when they change ownership. Because many commercial properties change hands infrequently, they are often assessed at decades-old rates.

Eastin, who served eight years as the state’s superintendent of public instruction, called for more regularly assessing commercial and industrial real-estate property values to raise more money for schools. “Disneyland is paying what they paid in 1975,” she said. “It’s time to review Prop. 13.”

Villaraigosa said he didn’t vote for Prop. 13 in 1978 and wasn’t a big fan of it now. “We’ve got to fix Prop. 13, period,” he said. “Prop. 13 is broken.”

After the debate, Villaraigosa said he wants to make sure all aspects of the landmark tax law are reviewed, not just commercial rates. “Everything ought to be on the table,” he said.

Neither Chiang nor Newsom mentioned Prop. 13 when asked about how the state’s tax system should be reformed.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...r-12303473.php

Two of the four candidates clearly come out in favor of discussing changes to Prop. 13.

The other two ducked the issue. Their campaign staff probably isn't sure which way this is going. So for now it's best to stay quiet and keep their options open.

Last edited by john3232; 07-31-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 AM

21,672 posts, read 16,211,923 times
Quote:
Nope.. Prop. 13 is no longer considered a political 3rd rail. ...

Two of the four candidates clearly come out in favor of discussing changes to Prop. 13.

The other two ducked the issue. Their campaign staff probably isn't sure which way this is going. So for now it's best to stay quiet and keep their options open.
Um. Is Villagairosa running now? Or did he get bumped? Huh.

And Newsome, who “ducked the issue”? ... He running? Huh.

I agree 13 could use a remodel ... specifically to tag its benefits for primary residences ... and allow ownership of 1 or 2 additional investment rental units. For commercial landlords? Nuh-uh.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um. Is Villagairosa running now? Or did he get bumped? Huh.

And Newsome, who “ducked the issue”? ... He running? Huh.

I agree 13 could use a remodel ... specifically to tag its benefits for primary residences ... and allow ownership of 1 or 2 additional investment rental units. For commercial landlords? Nuh-uh.
And that's how it starts. With a remodel

There is a lot of money in homes all across the state that were bought two and three decades ago. Homes that many politicians in Sacramento would love to hammer with a huge property tax increase.

True, Newsom had no comment. Why say anything at this time if you're not sure which way the political winds are blowing. One thing is certain and that is Prop. 13 is no longer off the table for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California