Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 PM

237 posts, read 410,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Now that the Bay Area is pretty much full-up, if not downright bursting at the seams, why don't the tech companies start locating in places like Kansas City? Why are they all (STILL) rushing to the Bay Area & Seattle? I guess there are a few in Denver and Atlanta, but they need to keep spreading the wealth of jobs around. If traffic increase any more, no one will be able to get to work.
To answer the question... no one wants to spend years getting a Bachelor's or Master's degree... to end up in Kansas City, LOL!

To be honest though, I work in tech, and wouldn't want to live in Silicon Valley. Home prices still outstrip the salaries, and there's a landfill problem there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 12:52 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
To answer the question... no one wants to spend years getting a Bachelor's or Master's degree... to end up in Kansas City, LOL!

To be honest though, I work in tech, and wouldn't want to live in Silicon Valley. Home prices still outstrip the salaries, and there's a landfill problem there as well.
I also work in tech and home prices are one of the reasons we're planning a move out of state. However, I think the the Bay Area is a good place to launch a career. To your point, I tend to agree that many do not want to work their tails off in school to live in the midwest right out of the gate. Sure they may return there one day after a season of living somewhere else first. I've seen it happen quite a bit with IT staff moving here for time and then going back home after a while.

To the larger question of why the companies don't branch out more. Well, I think there are pockets of tech centers throughout the US which have expanded. Some are doing better than others. The south has been really growing in the areas of tech. And I predict those will continue growing more. Amazon's new headquarters choices have been interesting and strategic focusing on an east coast counterpart. I think it completely makes sense for their mission and customer bases in DC and NYC.

Derek

Old 12-28-2018, 04:52 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
The 12% drop in November sales from a year earlier was the fourth consecutive monthly decline for the six-county region. However, housing experts aren’t ready to declare that a bust is underway. The falloff in sales so far this year is still less pronounced than in 2014. And the regional median price is still rising slightly — 3.5% from November 2017, to $522,750.

Southern California home sales drop 12% in November as price gains slow:
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...227-story.html

Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Traditionally not much happened from Thanksgiving through January... and winter in many markets is always off season...

I do think some potential buyers have dropped out... just my opinion.

When the market is hot... it drives sales... when it slows it tends to magnify...

Old 12-29-2018, 05:44 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
My kid and spouse are in STEM professions and finally gave up on the Bay Area and relocated to another state, so that they could finally buy a house. More brain drain from California, and being a CA native, I never thought I would say it, but I’m glad they did it.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
My kid and spouse are in STEM professions and finally gave up on the Bay Area and relocated to another state, so that they could finally buy a house. More brain drain from California, and being a CA native, I never thought I would say it, but I’m glad they did it.
How many “brains” does California need? This state already pretty much dominates the world for STEM brains. And more arriving than leaving everyday.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
What state did they realize their dream of ownership?

Old 12-29-2018, 01:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What state did they realize their dream of ownership?
Colorado, it suits them.

Tulemutt, your comments perplex me.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:42 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
I've never heard of sales being hot in the winter months (must be a slow news months for the Times to be highlighting something like this as they should know this).
They didn't highlight it, though; one had to search for it, in the back of the Business section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Any realtor I've known have always suggested selling in the Spring/Summer months if you want to maximize your profit.
Received two flyers this month discussing how GREAT it is to put your property on the market in winter months, especially during the holidays, for varying reasons such as: emotional buying, homes look great decorated for Christmas, etc, etc. Of course they will promote this; that's their business.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Colorado, it suits them.

Tulemutt, your comments perplex me.
Always nice to be somewhere you like...

A few I know have moved to Colorado and they found what they are looking for...

We have somewhat new neighbors that moved to the Bay Area from 31 years on Colorado to escape the ice and snow... the wife had a nasty slip and when she recovered they said we need to move and they have kids here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California