Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Did you look in Georgia at all? Film production has grown quite a bit out here to a point where it has passed Hollywood and is number one in the United States.
I've seen that Georgia peach logo in ending credits more often now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 AM

298 posts, read 303,127 times
CA has great weather and lots of tourist attractions. The pay is very good there but housing is really high cost unless you want to move out to suburbs and commute. CA is popular with homeless because they can live outside year round and there is lots of generosity from the public with donations of food, clothing, handouts of money. Undocumented can get insurance for their children now so that is popular or will be in January 2020 when it starts. There are lots of good hospitals and Universities in CA. There are lots of free clinics offered to the poor and free meals. There is lots of shopping at Outlet Malls, and also lots of health food stores to shop at. There are lots of Govt type jobs in CA and Union jobs. Lots of public transportation. CA doesn't have tornadoes or hurricanes. The cost of living isn't cheap there and housing costs are high, its very crowded and lots of traffic and crime high in some areas. I think a lot of people go there because of the weather and better paying jobs.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I've seen that Georgia peach logo in ending credits more often now.
You won't see it much if that heartbeat bill passes.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
You won't see it much if that heartbeat bill passes.
Perhaps. But a lot of Hollywood actors said they would move out of the United States if trump won, yet I think none did. Just a bluff.
I think if the film industry leaves, it won’t be all of it. There’s some home grown studios here.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 518 times
yes it may be ,over all california is best and very famous city of USA

Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,305,550 times
https://laist.com/2019/07/05/ridgecr...uake_crack.php

I guess this explains the reason why roads in California are always so crumbly. I guess it’s because of frequent earthquakes. That traveling on the roads feel like an earthquake all the time. I guess those other states even with all that rain, and freeze thaw cycles and salt couldn’t compare with what roads in California goes through.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Another thing I should add, too, is that wildfires are inevitable given California's Mediterranean climate. It's a vicious cycle:

1. California very rarely receives rain between April and October. Summers are always very hot and dry; most summers go by without a drop of rain (no kidding, summer rain in most of California is as rare as snow in Houston). Any natural, hillside vegetation inevitably dies and shrivels up.
2. During Autumn, very hot, dry winds called Santa Ana winds bring 80 mile per hour gusts with single digit humidity and 80+ degree temps. Inevitably some arsonist or kid playing with matches or spark from a bonfire or a downed power line ignites a fire. The strong winds fan the flames, and with the vegetation all dead from the bone dry summer, the fire grows exponentially.
3. The fire strips vast areas of vegetation. Entire hillsides are barren and vulnerable to erosion.
4. Winter comes (winter is the rainy season in California). EITHER the pouring rains cause landslides on the barren, erosion-prone hills, OR a drought happens, the rainy season is underwhelming, and the Santa Ana winds, bone-dry conditions, and wildfires continue.
5. Go back to No. 1. and start all over again.
This doesn't sound like very much fun …

Old 10-16-2019, 10:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Admittedly, I'm team Northeast … however hurricanes are some scary sh*t. We had one in 2012 (Sandy) that was like barely a Cat1 and everyone freaked out. It caused so much damage and no one was prepared & our homes & buildings are not designed to withstand it.

I would not be worried about earthquakes. It's the wildfires that would freak me out!! & they are cutting power to CA?? NO WAY.

The Northeast doesn't get devastating hurricanes too often so I'm staying put. Usually we'll get blizzards which is the worst thing & they aren't that bad … you just work from home, wear jammies and drink wine … then when it's over, you shovel for a bit & then the next day it's back to normal.

IMO, if I HAD to choose a natural disaster that I would rather have, it'd be blizzards.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:10 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Admittedly, I'm team Northeast … however hurricanes are some scary sh*t. We had one in 2012 (Sandy) that was like barely a Cat1 and everyone freaked out. It caused so much damage and no one was prepared & our homes & buildings are not designed to withstand it.

I would not be worried about earthquakes. It's the wildfires that would freak me out!! & they are cutting power to CA?? NO WAY.

The Northeast doesn't get devastating hurricanes too often so I'm staying put. Usually we'll get blizzards which is the worst thing & they aren't that bad … you just work from home, wear jammies and drink wine … then when it's over, you shovel for a bit & then the next day it's back to normal.

IMO, if I HAD to choose a natural disaster that I would rather have, it'd be blizzards.
And blizzards VS fires do not contribute to bad air quality for days and days and ....

Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 AM

33,298 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. But any notion that California would be in any degree less “discovered”, smaller in population, lesser in present revenue generation is about as silly as suggesting: if not for the Wright brothers, airplanes would not fly today.

The Wright brothers happened to be the first guys to put what they did together ... but any number of other visionaries would have done the same within years.

Same for California. I was one of those G.I.’s sent to train and base in California and shipped overseas to Vietnam. Grew up in Minnesota. Now have never left the coast since. Given my extreme dislike for frigid, long winters and mosquitoes the size of warplanes, the idea that I would never have travelled to California and stayed is, well, simply nonsense.

And none of those hippies that descended on Haight-Ashbury in the mid-60’s by the ten’s of thousands came because of service in - or to - the military.

The state is magic. Pure and simple.

Pioneers and Spanish Conquistadores alike felt the same. ‘Grapes of Wrath’ refugees from the mid-west Dustbowls of the 30’s felt the same.

Etc.

The state was, flat out, the ‘Promised Land’.

LOL re the bolded.

'You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Tulemutt again'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California