Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you glad you left California?
Yes, definitely. Things are better for us now. 36 67.92%
Not sure. Jury still out. 4 7.55%
No. We miss it for a lot of reasons. 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:59 PM

25 posts, read 35,900 times

Advertisements

I’m a San Francisco native and eventually moved to CO for 6 years. I liked CO but missed my family so much I moved back. I was happy to be around family again but was miserable living in the Bay Area. The traffic, the rude people, and the ‘we’re better than everyone else’ attitude was not for me. Now I live in the Sierra and can visit family in the Bay Area and be happy with where I live at the same time.

The thing about California is you can live in one area and be miserable then move to a different area of the state and it feels like a whole different world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well I've posted enough that people know my story. I moved from the Bay area to Atlanta for financial reasons. Most fearful for me was the weather expectations. Been here for 3 years. Financially set, retired early from it, and It's pretty nice here. The best part was the weather was not as bad as everyone in Ca told me it would be.
I wouldn't rule out moving back, but I visit home in Ca enough to realize it isn't worth it for me at present. I don't mind that it has gotten more crowded somewhat, but the traffic dives me insane.
You live in Atlanta and the traffic doesn't drive you insane???

Old 08-03-2018, 08:13 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I moved to Michigan for school. Although I was familiar with the region visiting family growing up, it was another thing living there. Of all the drawbacks weather wise, amongst others, the lack of sunshine, and everything looking dead in the winter gave me depression. Despite many offers to stay there, and make really good money in a low cost of living state, I couldn’t wait to get back. Five years was enough for me to last a lifetime.

It taught me a very valuable lesson early in my adult life, and that is you can’t put a price tag on happiness. As I’ve gotten older, and become more successful financially, my overall level of happiness hasn’t changed much since I came back 20+ years ago. Only my wife has been able to do that.

I can respect those who leave, or never come here because of the costs. I’ve been all over this country, and there’s many great places you can have a good life.
Bingo!! I've learned this as well "you can't put a price tag on happiness". There seems to be a common thread of people coming back, and visiting multiple times a year.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:34 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
We moved to Orlando in 2016 and are very happy with our decision. We now own multiple properties in the area because we like it here so much. San Francisco was still a good time, no bad feelings, still visit often as my girl-friend's family lives there. I loved it at first, but just grew bored of it, always hated the weather, and the whole homeless/drug/trash thing really started getting to me. Cost of living wasn't a factor as I owned my condo outright because I bought during the crash. I went from an 800 sqft condo next to Candlestick to a 3,300 sqft custom-built house on a lake, with a private pool, on a 1/2 acre lot in one of the best neighborhoods in the city. I'm only 5 minutes from Trader Joes, Whole Foods, restaurants. Universal Studios is only 10 minutes away. Always new things openings, a very fast changing and growing city which is what I like. I hated the anti-development attitude in San Francisco. It's easy and cheap to go kayaking, swimming, boating, etc. We were happy in San Francisco, but we are even more happy now.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Moved to AZ. It looks very similar here to where I left in CA minus the beach of course but a nice pool and bbq that I can use almost year-round make up for it. I take an hour flight a couple times in the summer to SD for my beach fix and to visit family. Compared to CA, the cost of living is great, I have a really nice house for such a low price. The taxes are nonexistent compared, and everything is new. The politics are moderate so I don't really even notice. I look forward to the summer heat because I love hanging out by the pool. The people here are really relaxed and nice without being too chatty. I never notice extremes here.

Even when I go back to CA for vacation I can only take a week. I miss AZ. I rarely have anything to worry about, unlike CA. Money, natural disasters, dangerous driving, tolls, taxes, taxes, and more taxes are all a thing of the past. I'll never go back. The first year I missed it sometimes but after that, I now miss AZ when I travel.

When you're in CA you get this feeling that there is no place better but I found that is simply a mindset and not true at all. There is a reason AZ has so many CA transplants.

Even if I was the 1% I wouldn't move back now, it's changing so much and not in a way I find livable.
My brother and especially his wife have this belief Southern Cal. is heaven on earth. And I`m thinking... the LA freeways are a nightmare and you (brother and wife) earn a nice income but can`t save much. A home equity loan is nice to take out when you need the money but you best not fall behind on your payments.

My brother and his wife have paid into social security but with a mortgage and two kids they never have been able to save a lot. My brother is pushing 60 and has talked about working until he is 70.

Fortunately, they hit the jackpot when the wife`s grandmother left them 2.5 million in her will. So I am sure this helps with their financial concerns.

Having lived in a number of places I still find the weather in SF to be the best. However, I own a home in Gilbert, AZ where I will be heading next week. The ave. temp in Aug is what...110.

But my wife and I have a very nice home with a pool to boot!

Yes, there are Mormons who come knocking every so often but so what? Beats running across the homeless panhandlers in SF and San Diego. Telling the Mormons no is a piece of cake. And speaking of cake. One Mormon family down the block came calling with cookies.

Last edited by john3232; 08-03-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 10:21 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I live in Marietta which is a suburb of Atlanta. Traffic is bad here, but Ca is just as bad if not worse. On trips into LA in the middle of the day sometimes traffic would just stop on the freeways.
In Ca I lived in Pleasanton and could do mostly everything in town and take surface streets. Same here in Marietta.
For some reason the road system isn't as good as Ca. The freeways do weird split. The worse is when they close off a road or exit and don't give you any warning. No detour signs to reroute you either. In Ca they let you know miles ahead and have signs that get you back on the freeway.
As I've posted before the lower COL allowed me to retire early so since I have all day free if I need to go where traffic might be an issue I just adjust my travel time. Drivers here are often more courteous than Ca.They will stop and let you merge in from a parking lot or if a road pinches off. In Ca they usually don't

Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
When you're in CA you get this feeling that there is no place better but I found that is simply a mindset and not true at all.

Even if I was the 1% I wouldn't move back now, it's changing so much and not in a way I find livable.
Gosh this is so true. So many people believe this. I used to be one of them. But honestly I hadn't been around much of the rest of the country. Now that I have I think differently.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:43 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It is bad for sure, but LA traffic is worse by far.

When Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced his Vision Zero plan, he envisioned an almost immediate 20 percent drop in traffic-related deaths. Instead, Los Angeles saw a 43 percent increase in fatal car accidents during the first year of Vision Zero.
In 2017, the second year in which Vision Zero was in effect, Los Angeles saw an additional 22 percent increase in fatal accidents. Today, Los Angeles has the highest rate of injury-causing and fatal traffic accident in the nation.

https://www.citywidelaw.com/car-acci...nt-statistics/

Old 08-04-2018, 07:05 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
Didn't vote.

Left in '89.

Native born

Could not afford L.A. any longer, so moved out. Moved to Rustbelt area. Moved around Rustbelt over the years. Rustbelt is getting high priced now.

If I lived in L.A. I'd be homeless. When I'm in NYC I camp out in Jersey City. Can't afford NYC either.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 AM

36 posts, read 43,918 times
Default Wanna go back

After spending my entire life in Northern California, one month ago I (with my husband and 2 children) moved to Tennessee. I want nothing more than to return to California. Sure, Tennessee is beautiful and green and affordable, but the weather! Oh. My. Gosh. The weather. I cannot stand it. It is hot & humid, with little cooling off. Nights don't bring a beautiful, cooling breeze like you get in California. I haven't been able to open my windows once yet. And, the bugs! Bugs are awful here. Flying bugs that insist on being your bff. It doesn't help that my 18 year old daughter decided to stay in California. I miss her so much it hurts. Yes, I did research before moving, but nothing really prepares you for the reality of moving to a climate that you've never experienced before. If we had visited in the summer months, instead of in December, I never would have relocated. We made the mistake of buying a house. We should have rented, so we wouldn't be stuck to a house here. Although, it's important to note that my husband and son LOVE it here, and they're thrilled with the house. It is my youngest (7 year old) and me, who desperately want to go back. I miss the awesome weather and minimal bugs. I miss living in a place with everything and everyone I have ever known. I realize that a month is not long enough to judge, but I am extremely sensitive to climate, so I don't think I'll ever appreciate Tennessee. I am getting involved with the community, and I got a job. Today, we are headed to the county fair. I feel like I am honestly trying to make a go of it. My husband said he won't ever move back to California, and I already have plans to spend next summer there. It will be interesting to see how this turns-out. I've rambled long enough. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California