Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I would recommend Visalia as well as some of the smaller cities in the San Joaquin Valley such as Exeter, Clovis, Kingsburg and Ripon.

I've been living in Tulare, which is just south of Visalia since 2009. I've had family roots in the Fresno area my whole life. So I'm pretty familiar with this part of the Valley and try and chime in my suggestions and insights anytime I see a post regarding here come up.

That said. I agree with MOST of your post. Clovis would be at the top of that list as it is arguably the Crown Jewel of the entire Central Valley. Northeast Fresno as well. Kingsburg is kind of take-it-or-leave it, but if you're looking at that part of the world, I would probably recommend Selma, which is just a few miles away and has far better shopping and dining options.

Everywhere else, you have to be a little more selective. Parts of Fresno are good. Some parts are 'avoid at all costs'. Same for the other medium sized cities like Visalia, Hanford, Tulare, etc. All have some areas that are very nice, clean, and somewhat pricey. And they also have areas that are bombed out ghettos. Sometimes just within a mile or two of each other. And everything in between.

As far as the 'small' towns go, I also concur that Exeter would be at or near the top of the list of better places. It has a couple of small, sketchy parts, but otherwise the town as a whole is pretty nice.

The only places I would suggest skipping over completely would be the very small towns. These are the places like Earlimart, Tipton, Orange Cove, Orosi, and so on. Pretty much all are truly hellholes and I don't recommend even driving through them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM

21,726 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
You might have a look at the central coast (San Luis Obispo and its smaller neighbors)... I don't know what the rents are now, but since it's far beyond commuting distance to the big metro areas, it might not be too costly... it's primarily a college town. The area is very scenic.
In 2011, Oprah declared SLO “The Happiest Place in America”
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...e39142755.html

Happy real estate along coastal California doesn’t come cheap ... nope ... sorry.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...e39142755.html

Happy real estate along coastal California doesn’t come cheap ... nope ... sorry.
It's Oprah's fault.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It's Oprah's fault.
... after Obama ... EVERYTHING is first Obama’s fault ... THEN Oprah’s ...

Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
... after Obama ... EVERYTHING is first Obama’s fault ... THEN Oprah’s ...
But it was Oprah who promoted Obama, after hearing him speak at the Democratic Convention, 4 years before he ran for Prez. She gave him her "Book Club" treatment. It worked.

OP, you haven't told us your employment needs, and other requirements and preferences. I don't know if you'd be interested in cities/towns on the north Coast, around Humboldt Bay, but I just thought I'd throw out there places like Eureka, McKinleyville (decent schools). The area is remote, but there's an airport near McKinleyville with scheduled flights to the Bay Area, there's a state university, and other signs of civilization. But It's known to be rainy, which at this point is time, is regarded by some as a good thing. It may not be your cup of tea, IDK.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-21-2018 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But it was Oprah who promoted Obama, after hearing him speak at the Democratic Convention, 4 years before he ran for Prez. She gave him her "Book Club" treatment. IT worked.

Yes, but it’s Obama’s fault that Oprah liked him to promote in the first place ... really Ruth ...

Old 08-21-2018, 03:36 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Yes, but it’s Obama’s fault that Oprah liked him to promote in the first place ... really Ruth ...
Oh, right, sorry. That's me--overlooking the obvious.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
This is a good list. I know all these places with the exception of Clovis:
https://studentloanhero.com/featured...rdable-cities/

Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
[url]www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article39142755.html[url]

If SLO has gotten expensive, the OP might try less-fashionable places like Paso Robles or Santa Maria.
BTW, none of these towns are on the coast, but they're close.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM

234 posts, read 303,465 times
SLO is very expensive.

Paso is getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California