Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:46 AM

191 posts, read 311,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResnoResno View Post
Northern California's Shasta and Oroville reservoirs ,California delta, California aqueduct.

The only right answer in the thread.

And don't forget stealing from the Colorado River and Owens Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 12:02 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjube View Post
The only right answer in the thread.

And don't forget stealing from the Colorado River and Owens Valley.
what stealing?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:02 PM

396 posts, read 421,021 times
Is there an easy way to upload photos from one's computer? I'd love to post some photos I've taken around our neighborhood so people can see what I mean.

I think a lot of it is expectations. I looked up places I've lived previously how many yearly inches of rainfall each got. Richmond VA -44 Monmouth county NJ- 48 Hartford Connecticut 50, Tampa FL 50............thousand oaks, 17 inches per year.

So I expected the summers to be much more brown here in Ventura county since it hardly rains. I thought it would look more like a desert. People warned me about CA not being as green as the east coast. So yes, it's not that dark lush green. But you can have that. Lush green means lots of rain and mugginess. I'll take CA green any day.

I have no plans to ever leave this state. I know it has a lot of issues but really every place I've lived has issues. I feel so at home here. I wish I could have gotten here sooner in life but I'll take 40s

Old 08-26-2018, 02:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
Is there an easy way to upload photos from one's computer? I'd love to post some photos I've taken around our neighborhood so people can see what I mean.

I think a lot of it is expectations. I looked up places I've lived previously how many yearly inches of rainfall each got. Richmond VA -44 Monmouth county NJ- 48 Hartford Connecticut 50, Tampa FL 50............thousand oaks, 17 inches per year.

So I expected the summers to be much more brown here in Ventura county since it hardly rains. I thought it would look more like a desert. People warned me about CA not being as green as the east coast. So yes, it's not that dark lush green. But you can have that. Lush green means lots of rain and mugginess. I'll take CA green any day.

I have no plans to ever leave this state. I know it has a lot of issues but really every place I've lived has issues. I feel so at home here. I wish I could have gotten here sooner in life but I'll take 40s
Yes, I think some posters are confusing 'lawn watering' with the natural environment including the local hills you speak of. That has nothing to do with where our tap or lawn water come from.

You can easily share photos online through uploading them first to a free photo hosting site such site such as Flickr or Google Photos. Then copy the URL to the photo and paste it in here clicking on the 'photo icon' button above your text. I use Smugmug which also owns Flickr and cost a little for unlimited storage/backup:

https://www.flickr.com/
https://photos.google.com/
https://www.smugmug.com/

Here's an example of our coastal hills in Monterey - no lawn watering required.

Derek

Old 08-26-2018, 04:30 PM

Yess!!!! that's what I'm talking about! Nobody is watering that! Thank you for those gorgeous photos.

We were in Malibu and I was just in awe of the beauty of it all. And to think we are only going to get greener going forward as we get into fall and winter.

This gardener and nature lover is happy to finally be "home".

Old 08-26-2018, 04:33 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I live in Orange County and spend a lot of time in the hills. Yes, from a distance it can look all "brown," but it's surprising how many green trees and bushes are still out there, and even plants which are flowering though they haven't had any water for many months. Native vegetation can tolerate the dry season--obviously, or it wouldn't be able to survive here at all.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in Orange County and spend a lot of time in the hills. Yes, from a distance it can look all "brown," but it's surprising how many green trees and bushes are still out there, and even plants which are flowering though they haven't had any water for many months. Native vegetation can tolerate the dry season--obviously, or it wouldn't be able to survive here at all.
Exactly, some parts do dry up and turn brown. But there are other plants and trees which remain green. In addition, regardless of what people say, we do get seasonal changes such as wildflowers in the spring and color changes in the fall. Here are some oaks in Big Sur from last fall:

And if one drives to the Sierra they will find a whole lot more!

Derek

Old 08-26-2018, 10:35 PM

Those are gorgeous fall photos! And that is autumn enough for me.

Here are just a couple from right in my neighborhood. There is no amount of sprinkler or watering that could save plants like these if we were on the east coast with 3 months of no rain. Plants and trees are hardcore in CA!

Last edited by TheLonelyGoatherd; 08-26-2018 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 PM

Very nice and green, TheLonelyGoatherd! I'm glad you were able to post a shot. While some of those are obviously watered plants in the neighborhood, I can see a lot of green trees in the hills in the background. I've also driven through Thousand Oaks more times than I can count. So I know what you are talking about - lots of nice trees and rolling hills.

Derek

Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 PM

Here's a nice shot of Thousand Oaks showing the green hills in the winter from Wikimedia commons:

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Oaks,_California

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California