Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times

Advertisements

With respect to MI, you'd have a chance of getting on some nice beaches but that's only useful 2-3 mo's out of the year because of the climate. That's the worse part of MI. You have a lot of clouds (about the same as WA) from Oct to Apr. Summers can be hot/humid; winters are dark, snowy, and cold. You probably aren't going to like the weather anywhere else coming from California. Property is cheap in MI though and jobs are making a comeback so it's not all bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Let me give you some advice (since you are asking).

Get out your excel program and run the differences between what you'll save on a mortgage and how much less you'll make in Wisconsin monthly. Also keep in mind the wife's job, if she has one.

Also keep in mind most if not all of those states have a higher income tax if you are making less than 120k (and it sounds like you will be).

I believe you that you found reasons to hate raising a family in LA. That's why millions of us live in suburbs around here. Its not because we are crazy...

But if you work in the basin, you are screwed without enough $ to buy a home for at least 700. You could live in Westminster or Garden Grove for about that.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:56 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Comes down in significant part to: can you do severe winters and humid summers ... and BUGS ... lots and lots of black flies, mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers. If you can, there’s lots of beauty everywhere and, of course far less expensive housing.

Good luck
Agreed. Weather is the driving factor. You can buy yourself a pretty nice lifestyle in most areas of the country with what you would save by not living in California, but the one thing you can't buy is good weather.

The question is, how much do you value sunny skies and mild temperatures year round?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Gold Country and the rest of NorCal (apart from the SF Bay Area) may also have what you're looking for. If you're taking over in a few years, is there a chance of relocating the company north?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:15 PM

36 posts, read 43,928 times
These posts are absolutely correct! We recently moved from CA to TN and this humidity will be the death of me. My advice: definitely consider the weather!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:45 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptiveinCali View Post
These posts are absolutely correct! We recently moved from CA to TN and this humidity will be the death of me. My advice: definitely consider the weather!
Certainly true for me ... but not everyone is highly weather sensitive. So ... if the OP is not, then ...

Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Op check out this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-who-have.html

I also did a financial comparison of my home town in Ca versus my new town of Marietta Ga.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal. To TX View Post
Because of approaching the age of 40, the cost of living here, high prices of houses, and the desire for some land, and our second child due in February, I think it is time for a serious look at moving East.

I could go on and on about the disgusting culture here in Los Angeles, and dont get me wrong it does have some upsides however....

The food, local to the beach, old Spanish Catholic communities (we are Catholic), but I dont think I could retire here, and I most certainly cannot leave my two daughters with any type of inheritance of land.

I am at a bit of a crossroads in that, I have been selected to "Take over" the company I work for in the next 5 years or so, but being as it may, I dont know if a $ 20k bump in salary would be worth it, nor would buying what would be my second home for $ 600k (2bd-1bath. 5500 sq.ft. lot built in the 50's) be a good idea.

I have about a solid year for a go/no go decision on moving, but I think I need some help..

Can any of you testify on a move to the North East from Los Angeles? (We live in Belmont Shore Long Beach).. I am thinking Maine, Wisconson, Minnesota or Michigan..? Penn maybe?

I personally grew up in Washington State, moving to San Diego in 98' and have been here ever since, but my wife and I crave some open spaces and land now, not to mention our 9 year old daughters desire for a "Big yard" and adventure.

Any feedback is appreciated...

GOD bless!

So you’re gonna trade Belmont Shores, Heading up a company 20k additional income, Prop 13, and a second home for back east cold, humidity and short summers

If you have a house in Belmont and you’re about to buy a second home I dont see how you’re not going to leave your kids anything. I’m assuming you’re keeping the first house?

I know plenty of people who moved out of state for all the reasons everyone moves. Lower housing cost, better whatever. 80% want back in and can’t buy back in. Most were making 1/2-2/3 the pay out here fir the same job. It’s really all relative. You dont usually high pay and low COL. Sure there are a few jobs here and there but most jobs pay according to the area.

I worked back east after big storms etc. both n summer and winter times. I didn’t care but I know my wife will never live through a humid summer and snow is fun fir a while but it gets old. She physically can’t deal with high humidity

If i move out of California I would move to Montana Wyoming Idaho. east coast would be a long long shot.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

If i move out of California I would move to Montana Wyoming Idaho. east coast would be a long long shot.
Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are places I would avoid when I move out of California. I might go to Montana or Wyoming for a two week summer vacation but I see nothing there for long term living. There are no NFL or NBA teams there! There is only one Whole Foods in Idaho and none in the other two states. Try finding good dim sum or really authentic Indian or Korean food in any of those three states. Not likely.

When I move out of CA my top five cities under consideration are 1)Nashville 2)Chicago 3)Milwaukee 4)Minneapolis 5)Charlotte. Other possibilities might include Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and the far northern suburbs of Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
The question is, how much do you value sunny skies and mild temperatures year round?
I really dislike sunny skies all the time and miss thunderstorms,fall colors and snow a lot! The weather in L.A. is a negative for me. I put up with before it because I enjoyed other aspects of L.A. such as the food and martial arts.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 AM

129 posts, read 164,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Agreed. Weather is the driving factor. You can buy yourself a pretty nice lifestyle in most areas of the country with what you would save by not living in California, but the one thing you can't buy is good weather.

Well, idk how "mild" I would call the weather here in socal anymore....

This summer was one of the most humid and hottest summers ever (seriously, at one point I joked that I felt like I was living in the desert of Saudi Arabia! ), and every year it seems like the heat just justif getting worse and worse due to climate change. And I'm speaking as someone who was born and raised on the east coast!

Maybe there was a time about 10 years ago when the weather in southern California was mild year round, and never got above a comfy 75 degrees, but idk... I'm sorry to say, but I think those good old days are gone.

I'm just saying.... at least when you live in an area that gets 4 seasons you never get heat indefinitely or cold indefinitely year round. I'm just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California