Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Dumb question perhaps and yes, i know how to find my way to the DMV web-site but if anyone can spare me that and answer my question i will appreciate it.
I've been out of state for awhile and i am still out of state and i am due for a smog test and i'm also quite late in renewing my registration (was due in June).
I've lived in the same county for 14 years.
It would save me a lot of trouble and travel if i could register in a different county than the one i live in, ie; just head over the border and do it there as i'm not ready to return home.
Can i renew and get smog checked in a county that is not mine?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:31 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiree View Post
Dumb question perhaps and yes, i know how to find my way to the DMV web-site but if anyone can spare me that and answer my question i will appreciate it.
I've been out of state for awhile and i am still out of state and i am due for a smog test and i'm also quite late in renewing my registration (was due in June).
It would save me a lot of trouble and travel if i could register in a different county than the one i live in, ie; just head over the border and do it there as i'm not ready to return home.
Thank you.
I believe you can. I just renewed my license a few days ago and there were people there who weren't in their home county. One woman from another county was there with her RV as she was on the road and needed to do her registration. Since the smog shop sends the test results directly to DMV, I can't imagine why it would matter where the shop is located.

Whatever you do, make sure you have an appointment. I don't know if you've been following the news but the DMV is slammed right now. People are waiting for, literally, many hours to transact their business if they don't have an appointment. I had one and was in and out in 40 minutes. On the DMV website, there is a page which will show the wait times at the various offices so you'll see what I mean. Even though the Real ID requirement won't go into effect until October 2020, people are jamming the DMV to get them now.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
I just renewed one of mine online.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:35 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiree View Post
Thank you.
You can register it in any county, or online. The smog check can be done anywhere in California, you don't need a smog certificate from the shop, the data is transmitted electronically. Count on your fees being at least twice what it originally was due to late fees

Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I did my registration online, but got my smog test the next month.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 1,571 times
Thank you everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California