Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:52 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Stand Your Ground is not good anywhere. SYG basically lets trigger-happy gun enthusiasts live out vigilante-styled fantasies withour fear of retribution. Approached me or brushed my shoulder in passing? I feel threatened, so here's some lead! Gun nuts of course love that, but it's really a recipe for unjustified homicide. You can already act in self defense if the circumstances warrant it.
That's really the important point here -- you can still defend yourself if attacked, therefore, SYG law is unnecessary. The likelihood of accidental injuries or death increases significantly since human judgement is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
do you need stand your ground law to protect yourself? other person? your property?

isn't it thats very basic. self-preservation/self-defense

no need to pass a law for that basic right.

what is needed to be deleted from statutes or common law is I AM AFRAID Of MY LIFE HE IS GOING TO KILL ME even if the victim is running away, walking away, his back is turned on you already.

in civil law jurisdictions, killing a person whose back is turned on you is always murder
The point of this is: if the law in your state or county, etc doesn't have a law that allows you to carry a gun self defense of not, you kill someone, you can be guilty of murder or manslaughter unless they are actually entering your home. It is against the law to carry a gun in some states,

Old 08-31-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, opining publicly based on what “friends” say anecdotally, while refusing to acknowledge police-verified statistics, is irresponsibly feeding the fires.

You say you still believe in Stand Your Ground use of deadly weapons. But you haven’t answered my question:
Should the homeless be armed to shoot attackers?
Drop it for heavens sake. I never said friends felt one way or the other.. I acknowledged I only know what I have heard and am no expert. You certainly like to go on and on don't you. Let's just agree to disagree on this. I think we will all save time. Debating this isn't going to change my mind, your mind or anyone else's mind.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The point of this is: if the law in your state or county, etc doesn't have a law that allows you to carry a gun self defense of not, you kill someone, you can be guilty of murder or manslaughter unless they are actually entering your home. It is against the law to carry a gun in some states,
Yes that is my understanding as well .

The thing is CA politicians have created this problem by not being tough enough . One example recently was a man that was killed while eating at a restaurant. A crazy homeless person was acting strange police were called then the police said the guy wasn’t a threat and the homeless guy came back and killed him .

Whenever I hear about these random killings or violent attacks it’s usually a homeless person that did it . Due to politically correct policy they aren’t keeping neighborhoods safe .
But then at the same time innocent citizens don’t have the right to protect themselves . This young college kid could of easily been killed .

Old 08-31-2018, 12:40 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
can somebody just cite what the law or jurisprudence says on self-defense in CA?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
No one is advocating violence again the homeless; the point is, if someone, homeless or not attacks another it makes sense to allow t he person who is being attacked a way to defend him or her self.
Good thing you're absolutely allowed to defend yourself without SYG. The only difference being that if you can remove yourself from the situation, you're no longer allowed to use force.

This is of course not very macho and for a certain subset of those who' d carry loaded firearms, simply an affront. Back down and have both parties to the conflict live? (Fun fact: The first attempts at SYG laws were marketed a "Make my day" laws. Really.)

Quote:
Not to mention, if individuals were allowed to stand their ground would some people think twice before attacking another?
Most attacks just aren't that well thought out. People get into stupid fistfights over nothing all the time.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:03 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
can somebody just cite what the law or jurisprudence says on self-defense in CA?
Pretty good cite here:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/califo...ense-laws.html

You're perfectly within your right to use force, even lethal force, in self-defense.

Quote:
The defendant is not guilty of [whatever forceful act was used in self defense] if he/she used force against the other person in lawful self defense or in defense of another. The defendant acted in lawful self defense or defense of another if:

- The defendant reasonably believed that (he/she or someone else) was in imminent danger of suffering bodily injury (or was in imminent danger of being touched unlawfully);
- The defendant reasonably believed that the immediate use of force was necessary to defend against that danger; AND
- The defendant used no more force than was reasonably necessary to defend against that danger
I have no problem with any of this, honestly.

The Castle Doctrine is in effect in California as well, but is mostly irrelevant to what we're discussing here.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pretty good cite here:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/califo...ense-laws.html

You're perfectly within your right to use force, even lethal force, in self-defense.

I have no problem with any of this, honestly.

The Castle Doctrine is in effect in California as well, but is mostly irrelevant to what we're discussing here.
thats what i was saying. self defense is universal or basic right and it is the law also in CA

Old 08-31-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
thats what i was saying. self defense is universal or basic right and it is the law also in CA
But the problem with this is: no one without an concealed weapon permit is supposed to carry a gun. So depending in interpretation someone may not be guilty if it is self defense but he/she can be held for carrying a concealed weapon depending on what a judge has to say. It is a thin line

Old 08-31-2018, 01:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Hardly anyone has a concealed carry permit in L.A

Only the well connected ( aka elitists ) get them .

Why isn’t this viewed as inequality and injustice ? The left is always harping on those issues.
But when it actually matters . A situation that can be life or death .. nothing from the left .

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...s-own-policies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California