Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Newsom is similar to Eric Garcetti Mayor of L.A . They are your typical empty suit politician.
Their suits are always pressed and their hair perfect but just a bunch of empty words coming out of their mouth .

It’s encouraging that the polls don’t show Cox and Newsom too far away. Hopefully Cox can win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 02:49 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So why vote for him? Leave it blank or Vote for the other guy.
Because throwing away your vote (or not showing up) is precisely why we have the orange clown in office now... and some of us would like to make sure that doesn’t happen again, even if it means voting strictly along party lines.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjube View Post
If you can't trust him with your wife, how could you trust him with the state?
Maybe we should ask that question of everyone who voted for Trump... can’t trust him with money, either, and yet somehow he convinced them he could run our country!

Old 09-11-2018, 04:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I can't stand Newsom. I don't really know much about Cox and I'm sure I disagree with most of his positions but will vote for him anyways. He won't be able to do much with a Democratic Super-Majority anyways. Better to create gridlock in the state legislature than give them a blank check. Seems it's better that they do nothing that try to "fix" things.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No surprise. Won't stop people from voting for him, simply because he's a democrat. I'll need Pepto-Bismal on the day I vote for him. It will only be an anti-Cox vote, which I'm sure he's well-aware of.

Newsom has only ever had his eye on the White House, in my opinion. He's never really cared about any political job he's had. He's just doing time until he can run for president. My vote is never guaranteed, though. If his opponent is a better choice, even if he/she is a Republican, they'll get my Democratic vote. I just really can't stand him.
You don't like him but will still vote for him?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Exactly how is. Newsome going to get Trump out of office?? So you will live with a horrible gov who will probably destroy Ca on the dream he'll get Trump out of office? If this is the average liberal mentality I can't get out of this state fast enough

I am sure Gavin will win handily as he has his hands on the cookie jar for everyone. That said, what part of Arizona are you moving too? Mesa looks nice but it is as warm as Phoenix. I sort of lean to Prescott.

You are aware that the U-Hauls are twice as expensive to leave California as it is to rent on the way in?
Perhaps, Gov. Gavin can have the legislature pass a regulation to make that more equitable?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How many times can people here explain why? Read the last few pages, as we've already more than covered this.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So why vote for him? Leave it blank or Vote for the other guy.
Because I don't want Cox as the next governor. My vote is only strategic. It doesn't reflect who I really want. I will just say I'd rather have Newsom than Cox. That doesn't mean I really want Newsom.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Yes. It's an anti-Cox vote, just like all of those anti-Hillary votes that got Trump elected, even if they really hated Trump. Lesser of two evils, eh?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 PM

Here... I'll even do the homework for you guys, so we don't have to keep answering this question (why we'd vote for someone we don't really like)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Because throwing away your vote (or not showing up) is precisely why we have the orange clown in office now... and some of us would like to make sure that doesn’t happen again, even if it means voting strictly along party lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I voted the way you described when I voted for President. Sometimes the choices are so horrendous that you have to think of what ideology fits you best when you vote. I’m not going to vote for a third party that stands no chance of winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not this time... we must vote BLUE on every line, as a blank space is essentially giving your vote away to the other side.

I don't even consider myself a Democrat, but I am decidedly liberal/left - so when I vote in major elections, I am often forced to "vote for the greater good" instead of the candidates. Trust me, I would almost always vote third-party if I thought they had a chance. But until they do, I'd rather have my votes count for something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I completely disagree. I will definitely vote for someone I don't like, if the goal is to unseat an opponent.

I won't like it, but I understand long-term strategy.

One of the reasons the democrats don't always win, is because their vote is split with other parties, like the Green party or other independent candidates. The Republican party is well-aware of this and they exploit it. Just as the Russian influence does.

So, we need to decide what the real goal is. Is the goal to get Trump out of the White House? If so, then how do you accomplish that? If the answer is that you vote for someone you don't really like - but, they are a better alternative - then you vote for that person.

You don't have to like it. Under certain circumstances, you can't afford to stick to your principles - if by doing so, you keep a bad person in power. Sometimes, you have to think strategically.
So, it would be stupid for those opposed to Trump to split their votes based on some moral ideology. We all need to think strategically.

So, vote for Newsom for governor, if the alternative means Cox gets elected, even if you hate Newsom. Then, work towards getting anyone but him elected to any higher office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California