Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Since I only have scores to look at right now those two towns won't work for us either. Since I have kids in high, middle, and elementary it makes it more difficult because I want good schools for each of them. I know that scores aren't all of it and I'm looking at more than just but not being there it plays a major role in how I can narrow down the search.

Just take this for what it's worth, but I'm starting to get the impression that "you want it all" and are setting your expectations a little unrealistically high. At some point, you're probably going to have to make some compromises and trade-offs, be it distance for good schools, convenience for slightly lower schools, or what have you.

Maybe if you put down your entire wish list in order of priority and preference, we could help you nail down a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 AM

240 posts, read 344,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Look into a Visalia suburb like woodlake or three Rivers. Small Towns that are 20 mins away. I would believe the schools would be upgrades over
Visalia schools. And you'll be closer to the mountains than in Visalia.

Edit:
And fog isn't much of a problem anymore.
It's not 1/4th as bad as it used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Just take this for what it's worth, but I'm starting to get the impression that "you want it all" and are setting your expectations a little unrealistically high. At some point, you're probably going to have to make some compromises and trade-offs, be it distance for good schools, convenience for slightly lower schools, or what have you.

Maybe if you put down your entire wish list in order of priority and preference, we could help you nail down a decision.
I already stated previously that schools are a major factor for me. I don't have a problem with the distance I am just checking to see if there may be cities I don't know about that may be closer when it comes to commute for my husband. I don't know if you have children but when they have been is great schools and you may have to make a move you would want comparable. I don't think my expectations are unreasonable since compromise is already what I was going to be doing since Clovis is a commute. You recommended Clovis and I thank you for that but also wanted to see if others had suggestions. I've never had anyone tell me my expectations were high because of wanting good schools. My husband makes a commute now because of this reason. Like I said I'm from Southern Cal and don't know much about northern so I was just asking for as much info as I could get.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
I already stated previously that schools are a major factor for me. I don't have a problem with the distance I am just checking to see if there may be cities I don't know about that may be closer when it comes to commute for my husband. I don't know if you have children but when they have been is great schools and you may have to make a move you would want comparable. I don't think my expectations are unreasonable since compromise is already what I was going to be doing since Clovis is a commute. You recommended Clovis and I thank you for that but also wanted to see if others had suggestions. I've never had anyone tell me my expectations were high because of wanting good schools. My husband makes a commute now because of this reason. Like I said I'm from Southern Cal and don't know much about northern so I was just asking for as much info as I could get.
Good schools do indeed factor in on a child's education. Balance is another valuable ingredient. Are you willing to give up your husband's availability to witness their games/competitions in exchange for their being in School X vs. School Y? Do I have children? Was I a child? Yes. I truly miss my dad not participating in my activities and he was in the same town!! Did I turn out alright? Yes, could it have been better, most certainly with the proper encouragement.

Not judging or anything, just putting this out there

Old 09-11-2018, 10:34 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Stay the hell away from Woodlake. It has the nursery/arboretum but like most small towns in the Valley, otherwise isn't what you would call the most "savory" of towns. The only....ONLY foothill town I would ever consider or recommend would be Exeter. As far as small Valley towns go, that's probably the nicest one.

I vote for Exeter too. It's small but super nice. It's quaint but cute. Takes about 20 min tops to get to downtown Visalia.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Good schools do indeed factor in on a child's education. Balance is another valuable ingredient. Are you willing to give up your husband's availability to witness their games/competitions in exchange for their being in School X vs. School Y? Do I have children? Was I a child? Yes. I truly miss my dad not participating in my activities and he was in the same town!! Did I turn out alright? Yes, could it have been better, most certainly with the proper encouragement.

Your are correct in what you are stating. To give a little background my husband commutes now and looking at some of the schools it would add maybe 5-7 minutes on his current commute. He makes every game and event now especially since we have no family here in Tx. If you don't mind me asking do you live in Visalia, Fresno, or Clovis? If so then you can give me some insight on the schools. It's hard to know what will work when you're not there. I really want to be able to narrow down some areas. Before moving here I had 3 cities narrowed down. We visited all three and the high schools and let my oldest pick. This is what I want to be able to do again if possible. We do our best to make sure we have a balance for our kids which is one reason we are considering moving back to Ca to be able to be closer to family.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:46 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Are you looking at public schools only or are private schools an option, too?

Both Clovis and Visalia have good schools and strong sports programs, both school-based and community-based.

Clovis differs from Visalia in that it has more access to big-city amenities in Fresno (more shopping, medical care options, educational options, the university, etc.). Visalia has more of a small-town feeling, in that sense.

Northeast Fresno is another option for you. If commuting to Visalia, it's easy to go down 41 to 99. Many parts of Clovis and far from the freeways.

For Clovis/Fresno options, I would look at zips: 93611, 93619, 93720, 93730. These parts of Clovis/Fresno are all in the Clovis Unified School District (the district doesn't follow the city boundaries, so NE Fresno is in CUSD).

Old 09-11-2018, 05:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
A search in the Calif forum (and all sub forums) for posts with "Clovis" or "Visalia" in the Subject will also find you lots of previous inquiries and answers.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Keep in mind the air quality there is bad and that can have a major impact on your children. It can show up much later in life when it is too late to do anything about it.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Are you looking at public schools only or are private schools an option, too?

Both Clovis and Visalia have good schools and strong sports programs, both school-based and community-based.

Clovis differs from Visalia in that it has more access to big-city amenities in Fresno (more shopping, medical care options, educational options, the university, etc.). Visalia has more of a small-town feeling, in that sense.

Northeast Fresno is another option for you. If commuting to Visalia, it's easy to go down 41 to 99. Many parts of Clovis and far from the freeways.

For Clovis/Fresno options, I would look at zips: 93611, 93619, 93720, 93730. These parts of Clovis/Fresno are all in the Clovis Unified School District (the district doesn't follow the city boundaries, so NE Fresno is in CUSD).
Thank you so much. I am mainly looking at public schools. Clovis is an option not only for the education but also the things you mentioned. We want to have the easy access to big-city amenities that Fresno has to offer. Looking at the schools CUSD also seems to have a bit more diversity in their schools than Visalia which is something we want. I was trying to figure out zip codes to look into so thanks for those suggestions.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Your are correct in what you are stating. To give a little background my husband commutes now and looking at some of the schools it would add maybe 5-7 minutes on his current commute. He makes every game and event now especially since we have no family here in Tx. If you don't mind me asking do you live in Visalia, Fresno, or Clovis? If so then you can give me some insight on the schools. It's hard to know what will work when you're not there. I really want to be able to narrow down some areas. Before moving here I had 3 cities narrowed down. We visited all three and the high schools and let my oldest pick. This is what I want to be able to do again if possible. We do our best to make sure we have a balance for our kids which is one reason we are considering moving back to Ca to be able to be closer to family.
I grew up in Fresno and also lived in Clovis. As I stated I don't have kids, so I can't help much in that area. I wish your family the best of whatever city you chose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California