Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Of course, you can find authentic Japanese food anywhere, from Idaho to Buffalo, New York, to Charleston, SC...really anywhere, so don't come to SoCal just for that.
Authentic Japanese is one of the most difficult of all the Asian cuisines to locate, for the very simple reason that there are very few Japan-born people in the U.S. compared to more recent immigrants. Decades ago there were numerous Japanese-owned markets and restaurants, but they have dwindled significantly, even here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Nijiya Market, with ten locations in California, is very good. They have two stores in Honolulu, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 08:47 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usklx View Post
Hi all!

My wife and I are thinking of moving to California after I retire from the military in a few years. We are looking to live in an area that has very low crime and is diverse. We are Asian, so a large requirement is to have authentic Asian food. Surprisingly, the only two requirements we have are safe areas with good asian food!

Our budget is around 500k comfortable, 600k if it was the perfect neighborhood. We prefer more property, 4 bed 2 bath, swimming pool if possible, and mountain views from a balcony or outside would be AMAZING.

Lastly, we would like to be within 45-1 hour of Los Angeles. And as a retired fella, peace and quiet is an absolute.

We are also somewhat conservative. No, we are not right wing. But we believe in standing for the flag and kneeling for the cross. We support our military and law enforcement and for a lack of better words, we are against liberal lunacy (or far right for that matter). We're looking to move here for the weather and food! I have had a few surgeries in my life and the cold weather and rain ache my bones and body.

Any recommendations or places to go? We've thought about fullerton, rancho cucamonga, and temecula.
As a bit of an outsider (libertarian), don't ever let the political tendencies of a place sway you away from being where you truly want to be. I'll never find a really politically comfortable place anywhere on the globe, but if I had the finances, I'd still move back to California if I could.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:05 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Orange County.
Well, it's gotten bluer lately. There's a thread about it in the OC forum I started months ago.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Authentic Japanese is one of the most difficult of all the Asian cuisines to locate, for the very simple reason that there are very few Japan-born people in the U.S. compared to more recent immigrants. Decades ago there were numerous Japanese-owned markets and restaurants, but they have dwindled significantly, even here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Nijiya Market, with ten locations in California, is very good. They have two stores in Honolulu, too.
Actually, Malaysian/Singaporean food is even harder to locate, authentic or not.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Only thing is, they want nearby access to Asian-related amenities. The closest area to Temecula, for that, would be Garden Grove, Irvine or Westminster over in Orange County.

Temecula seems a bit remote. Corona might be a better option, don't you think?
Temecula is quite nice, but if one wants access to Asian amenities, I'd think Kearny Mesa would be closer than going north to those Orange County communities. It would still be a bit of a drive, though.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Mitsuwa Marketplace is another chain with multiple locations as well.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:02 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Are you still having a cow about bag laws? What's the big deal?
Plenty of people regardless of party preference or whether they consider themselves liberal or conservative hate this policy. I get in line at different places and still often hear customers and cashers expressing their frustrations on how on earth it survived a vote. When people voted for plastic 90% of the time at the counter when given a choice prior to this passing even at stores in the bluest or most liberal parts of the state.

Though Democrat politicians in CA at least are afraid they will be politically wrong if they stand against this. And republican politicians on the other hand while they rejected it in voting they are out gunned as they don't have the reputation of working in unison compared to counterparts and the fact that CA is 2/3 Democrat in politician makeup.

Though the worst thing is that this idealist policy is actually causing an environmental disaster by turning our state into one giant landfill since 2017 just like it did for the SF Bay area since 2013 which passed the largest concentration of similar local ordinances.
Shoulders of streets, highways, and freeways around me in SoCal that were once almost free of spilled litter in 2016 are now knee deep in all types of items that escaped paper bags and hard to tie bin liners from garbage trucks which also flys out and cause traffic hazards. Interestingly the hated by radical environmentalists lowly plastic grocery bag actually kept our streets from being covered by all types of other trash plastic and other wise as they sealed all those other waste packaging from our everyday items, including other types of plastic bags not covered by the ban by keeping them tied up and secure until they reached the disposal sites.

Google street view images will offer all the evidence needed as they take mulitple images a year in the same spots. It always shows much more spilled garbage plastic and otherwise in the pictures after a ban than prior to a ban. I just been to Colorado which rejected a statewide similar policy and their streets even in crowded Denver metro area are litter free compared to California. Though Colorado is often known as Cali-rado in many respects including legalized pot.

I have no problems with places that take the approach like American Samoa or Hawaii that merely requires bags to not made of plastics but they replaced it with eco friendly materials in which the end user can not notice a difference and they are just as waterproof, sturdy and won't disintegrate in rain as the plastic bags they replaced. They are also much useful for reuse containing garbage and other household or travel purposes compared to paper or the thick plastic bags they use in CA these days. There is really no need to switch to paper only for a plastic bag ban. Though for CA their goal is not the bag itself but social engineering on the end user.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-29-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 10:59 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
plenty of people regardless of party preference or whether they consider themselves liberal or conservative hate this policy. I get in line at different places and still often hear customers and cashers expressing their frustrations on how on earth it survived a vote. When people voted for plastic 90% of the time at the counter when given a choice prior to this passing even at stores in the bluest or most liberal parts of the state.

Though democrat politicians in ca at least are afraid they will be politically wrong if they stand against this. And republican politicians on the other hand while they rejected it in voting they are out gunned as they don't have the reputation of working in unison compared to counterparts and the fact that ca is 2/3 democrat in politician makeup.

Though the worst thing is that this idealist policy is actually causing an environmental disaster by turning our state into one giant landfill since 2017 just like it did for the sf bay area since 2013 which passed the largest concentration of similar local ordinances.
Shoulders of streets, highways, and freeways around me in socal that were once almost free of spilled litter in 2016 are now knee deep in all types of items that escaped paper bags and hard to tie bin liners from garbage trucks which also flys out and cause traffic hazards. Interestingly the hated by radical environmentalists lowly plastic grocery bag actually kept our streets from being covered by all types of other trash plastic and other wise as they sealed all those other waste packaging from our everyday items, including other types of plastic bags not covered by the ban by keeping them tied up and secure until they reached the disposal sites.

Google street view images will offer all the evidence needed as they take mulitple images a year in the same spots. It always shows much more spilled garbage plastic and otherwise in the pictures after a ban than prior to a ban. I just been to colorado which rejected a statewide similar policy and their streets even in crowded denver metro area are litter free compared to california. Though colorado is often known as cali-rado in many respects including legalized pot.

I have no problems with places that take the approach like american samoa or hawaii that merely requires bags to not made of plastics but they replaced it with eco friendly materials in which the end user can not notice a difference and they are just as waterproof, sturdy and won't disintegrate in rain as the plastic bags they replaced. They are also much useful for reuse containing garbage and other household or travel purposes compared to paper or the thick plastic bags they use in ca these days. There is really no need to switch to paper only for a plastic bag ban. Though for ca their goal is not the bag itself but social engineering on the end user.
+1

Old 09-29-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Plenty of people regardless of party preference or whether they consider themselves liberal or conservative hate this policy. I get in line at different places and still often hear customers and cashers expressing their frustrations on how on earth it survived a vote. When people voted for plastic 90% of the time at the counter when given a choice prior to this passing even at stores in the bluest or most liberal parts of the state.

Though Democrat politicians in CA at least are afraid they will be politically wrong if they stand against this. And republican politicians on the other hand while they rejected it in voting they are out gunned as they don't have the reputation of working in unison compared to counterparts and the fact that CA is 2/3 Democrat in politician makeup.

Though the worst thing is that this idealist policy is actually causing an environmental disaster by turning our state into one giant landfill since 2017 just like it did for the SF Bay area since 2013 which passed the largest concentration of similar local ordinances.
Shoulders of streets, highways, and freeways around me in SoCal that were once almost free of spilled litter in 2016 are now knee deep in all types of items that escaped paper bags and hard to tie bin liners from garbage trucks which also flys out and cause traffic hazards. Interestingly the hated by radical environmentalists lowly plastic grocery bag actually kept our streets from being covered by all types of other trash plastic and other wise as they sealed all those other waste packaging from our everyday items, including other types of plastic bags not covered by the ban by keeping them tied up and secure until they reached the disposal sites.

Google street view images will offer all the evidence needed as they take mulitple images a year in the same spots. It always shows much more spilled garbage plastic and otherwise in the pictures after a ban than prior to a ban. I just been to Colorado which rejected a statewide similar policy and their streets even in crowded Denver metro area are litter free compared to California. Though Colorado is often known as Cali-rado in many respects including legalized pot.

I have no problems with places that take the approach like American Samoa or Hawaii that merely requires bags to not made of plastics but they replaced it with eco friendly materials in which the end user can not notice a difference and they are just as waterproof, sturdy and won't disintegrate in rain as the plastic bags they replaced. They are also much useful for reuse containing garbage and other household or travel purposes compared to paper or the thick plastic bags they use in CA these days. There is really no need to switch to paper only for a plastic bag ban. Though for CA their goal is not the bag itself but social engineering on the end user.
I bring my own usable bags when I shop. I don't have a problem with that...obviously you must feel differently if you had to opine at length. In my area most of the cities where I live have bag ordinances that require a charge (very nominal ) if you need one. Not something to get all red in the face for.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:19 AM

782 posts, read 759,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Mitsuwa Marketplace is another chain with multiple locations as well.
Most of those and more are in San Diego, beyond Japanese there is 99 Ranch, Zion Market and etc.

Mitsuwa in Kearney Mesa has a nice little Food Court serving lots of authentic dishes.

There is also a Minamoto Kitchoan in Newport Beach at Fashion Island that sells Japanese sweets and desserts. I walked in the place and was overwhelmed with the selection.

https://www.kitchoan.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California