U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 PM

27,527 posts, read 56,658,555 times

Advertisements

I realize I am just venting... so I appreciate the latitude given.

In the scheme of things... it really isn't that big a deal...

The rub comes when something so simple and predictable gets so screwed up... why would anyone think California can manage anything better?

DMV use to be very simple... this was in the days before it became a money making machine for outside agencies...

I think California is the only State that charges a $21 fee NOT TO OPERATE your vehicle... and this extends to things like NOT OPERATING a simple utility trailer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 PM

13,753 posts, read 11,800,193 times
I appreciate your venting, Ultrarunner. If you hadn't posted the thread, I would have probably waited until December to even consider renewing my DL. I went ahead and printed out the application for a new one, wrote the check and mailed it off yesterday. I have no need for the CA ID but will probably get one sooner or later. Until things settle down with the DMV, I'm staying away. But I'm glad you brought it up because it spurred me to do it now instead of waiting. So thanks.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:56 PM

You made my day... really!

Hope all goes smoothly with the renewal...

My brother's is due first week of January so he is already set to get an appointment 90 days out... he is good at things like this such as using his frequent flyer miles to book within minutes the date is open...

I expect I will be using my passport card and passport a lot more in the future...

Old 09-22-2018, 12:18 AM

13,753 posts, read 11,800,193 times
Thanks. I'm sure it will work out. If I run into a glitch, at least I have time to fix it as my birthday is also January. Your brother should be fine with an appointment 90 days out.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 19,772,437 times
What a shame.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:29 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,545,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have helped several of my retired friends navigate license renewals... even with an appointment it takes at least half a day door to door.

I just received my renewal 10 weeks out... there is not a single appointment in any of the 6 nearest offices until several weeks after my license expires... what kind a sham is this?

The head of the DMV said the backlog has been addressed by spending lots of money expanding services... my opinion is the taxpayers have been robbed...

Never seen anything like it... took a neighbor a few weeks ago and the line went around the building and down the street... Pleasanton Office...

Lifetime driving and never a ticket and now I am told the best I can do is plan to take a day off of work for finger print and picture?

I have many friends in other states with zero issues... and California is suppose to be the leader in technology... Horse Pucky

Fix the DMV and you will have my vote!
Just go to AAA.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Just go to AAA.
AAA is prohibited from any services pertaining to Domestic Driver's licenses... no pictures, no thumbprints, no vision or knowledge tests...

AAA can only provide an International Translation for existing issued licenses.

I do use AAA for registration that cannot be done online.

For example: My trailer PTI is due and it is not possible to renew online... tried just to verify the info is correct.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 PM

1,499 posts, read 977,955 times
If there's long lines, go in wearing Border Patrol hat, and see how long it takes to empty the place.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 PM

987 posts, read 487,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
If there's long lines, go in wearing Border Patrol hat, and see how long it takes to empty the place.
Ha Ha I actually went Monday with an APT wearing a US Coast Guard Cap, waited was under 20 minutes to get my new registration Sticker that never came in the mail after I paid online last month. The DMV is under construction sort of for now .

Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 AM

2,297 posts, read 1,074,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Yes, that's the way I understood it too....that your passport counts as a real ID and gives you all the permissions that the real ID does. You can get a passport from the Post Office pretty quickly without standing in line usually.
I totally agree Real ID has no real advantages for the end user, they are not the same as Enchanced drivers licenses which allows travel between US Canada and Mexico https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-%28edl%29%3F

Many people already hold a passport these days and if you don't want a to carry a book you can have a passport card instead which actually allows you to use Ready Lane at Mexican border as well as go through TSA checkpoints. They don't require going through the nightmare of DMVs which are severely understaffed these days. Just getting a handicapped placard took a very long time even being allowed to skip the line with family member in a wheelchair due to an unfortunate injury.

The whole Real ID scheme is a way for feds to bully states into violating their privacy laws in order to make every state's DMV records transparent to information sharing nationwide not only to the federal government but all the other states as well, maybe even to Canada and other countries too. Initially many states resisted so they had delayed the implementation date of the Act for over a decade and will probably keep delaying it until they can coerce all the states to give in. Their ultimate goal is to force states to give in the scheme so they will not enforce it until pretty much every state gives in. Unfortunately while many politicians in different states including those in California resisted the initial push when the Act was introduced in 2005 over the years the newly elected politicians give in, probably due to the fear of bad publicity if their state's residents could no longer fly with their licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California