U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 06:38 PM

14,117 posts, read 11,935,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Hope all goes smoothly with the renewal...
Thought I'd catch you up since last posting on this. I completed the application, wrote the check and mailed it in sometime in September. Couple weeks ago, I got everything back in the mail with a note stating something about the license being a duplicate. That was a head scratcher but I just left it alone and figured they'd notify me when the time came.

Sure enough, I received a letter via snail mail that my license renewal would be coming up in January so I should schedule an appointment and gather all the needed documents to bring with me. At least I don't have to take the written or driving test; only the vision test. And, I have the option of either applying for a new license or the new one required by the feds. I figured since I'm going into the office, I may a well get the new one but I doubt I'll ever need it. 'Course, you never know so why not be prepared, right?

The first available appointment date is December 31st and that's the date I chose. I gathered the documents they want me to bring but, holy cow, talk about overkill! Birth certificate, social security card, proof of address (so I'm taking my water and garbage bill with me). I mean seriously, I never knew it ever be this much to prove I'm am who I claim to be. Sheesh. Anyway, good thing I don't have any New Year's Eve plans. Knowing the DMV, I could end up being there several hours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 PM

8,372 posts, read 3,676,312 times
I changed my name, so could not renew by mail. The appointments were past the renewal date, so I had to go into the office. I got there at 7:30 a.m., and there was already a line outside.

I finally left the office at 2:30 p.m., so for a simple procedure, I was there 7 hours.

P.S. In the "handicapped" line, the people were STANDING UP - FOR HOURS - one old man, who looked to be around 100, was staggering - reeling from side-to-side.

I am SURE that some diabetics have gone into shock by missing a meal.

I am SURE people have passed out.

I wonder if anyone has died yet?

Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thought I'd catch you up since last posting on this. I completed the application, wrote the check and mailed it in sometime in September. Couple weeks ago, I got everything back in the mail with a note stating something about the license being a duplicate. That was a head scratcher but I just left it alone and figured they'd notify me when the time came.

Sure enough, I received a letter via snail mail that my license renewal would be coming up in January so I should schedule an appointment and gather all the needed documents to bring with me. At least I don't have to take the written or driving test; only the vision test. And, I have the option of either applying for a new license or the new one required by the feds. I figured since I'm going into the office, I may a well get the new one but I doubt I'll ever need it. 'Course, you never know so why not be prepared, right?

The first available appointment date is December 31st and that's the date I chose. I gathered the documents they want me to bring but, holy cow, talk about overkill! Birth certificate, social security card, proof of address (so I'm taking my water and garbage bill with me). I mean seriously, I never knew it ever be this much to prove I'm am who I claim to be. Sheesh. Anyway, good thing I don't have any New Year's Eve plans. Knowing the DMV, I could end up being there several hours.
Bring snacks, water, and your phone charger.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Bring snacks, water, and your phone charger.
Thanks, I'll consider that. I think the long lines might be for those without appointments? I hope so. If it isn't what's the point of giving someone an appointment time if they can't honor it? smh

Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll consider that. I think the long lines might be for those without appointments? I hope so. If it isn't what's the point of giving someone an appointment time if they can't honor it? smh
You should do much better with an appointment.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You should do much better with an appointment.
Fingers crossed

Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 PM

8,274 posts, read 3,439,868 times
I feel for you people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0woPde7OE1k&app=desktop

Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,690,702 times
Quote:
I had a Saturday 8AM appointment to take the written test, photo, and eye exam and was only in there for 40 minutes. I got there at 7:15AM and there was a line but they pulled the appointment-people aside and there were only a few of us. So we just went in right when they opened at 8AM and did what we had to do. I have no idea how long non-appointment people were there. They were letting them in a few at a time behind us. You should be OK. Happy New Year!

Old 11-09-2018, 11:34 PM

That's a relief, movinon. IKR? Start the new year with a new license and a new photo where I will have aged 20 years since the last one. Oh no!

Old 11-10-2018, 06:25 AM

21,415 posts, read 18,959,516 times
Quote:
Start the new year with a new license and a new photo where I will have aged 20 years since the last one. Oh no!
At one point I had the same CDL for 20 years. At a couple of stores in which I needed to show it to write a check, the clerk looked at the photo and asked, "This is YOU?" Thanks, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California