Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Fix the DMV and you will have my vote!
The simplest way is to manage demand. Make automobile registrations good for 2 years rather than 1 year. That will cut down on the number of people in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Sacramento is blowing this big time...
... and yet they will all get their gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health care when they retire.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
DMV has known about this since like 2004 or 2005. They knew exactly how many people would be involved and could take a reasonable guess on how many would want to rush in.

I really thought there would be mass temporary hiring to handle the influx of customers. Or unlimited overtime. Or something to make this happen.

I don't have a clue who's idea this was to "business as usual" this. I don't know if the Legislature didn't come through with enough money for advance hiring or what.

But this whole thing has been a fiasco that seriously didn't need to happen like this.

That's all I got.
The DMV has no incentive to do its job well. No one is fired for incompetence. No one is fired even though they've had over a decade to plan for this.

Just the opposite: they all get their gold-plated pensions and Cadillac health care.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 AM

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...215426640.html

California DMV worker slept on the job for three years, audit says

Quote:
A California DMV data operator slept three hours a day at her desk for three years, and the department failed to take disciplinary action — despite complaints from her colleagues, according to an audit released Tuesday.

Four witnesses told investigators from the California State Auditor’s office that the DMV employee consistently slept at her desk. The auditor estimated the employee misused 2,200 hours of work time between February 2014 and December 2017.

The employee continues to work for the state, according to the audit.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Occupational License has special DMV window for most services but a Dealer plate or similar means registration is not required to operate the vehicle and the same for smog... so it would save a bundle in registration fees...

It would do nothing for the drivers license... just being able to operate all the vehicles by moving one license plate from car to car... excluding the two modern that are daily drivers.

I have 27 vehicles insured... so quite a few... oldest is 1905 Curved Dash Oldsmobile, and at least one from every decade going forward.

If I still kept them all registered... the annual reg fees would be over 4k... so most are Non-Op now...
That's an interesting and amazing story! ... And I hadn't thought it would help your CDL problem, because dealers don't have CDL problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Anyone who travels by plane frequently cares, and we'll have to hop to it if we aren't able to get a DMV appointment for months.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...alid/realidfaq
Read the article. You can use your passport if you don't have a RealID drivers license. I renewed my passport recently. In fact I set out to get my passport and RealID CDL the same week, and got my passport in 3-4 weeks. Now two months later I'm no closer to getting RealID because the appointment was so far in the future that I forgot. Yeah, my fault, but in any sane DMV you should be able to get an appointment in 2-3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The simplest way is to manage demand. Make automobile registrations good for 2 years rather than 1 year. That will cut down on the number of people in line.
Most registration related matters can be taken care of by mail or online, or at AAA. Part of the problem is people who are so stupid as to appear in person at DMV for matters that do not require an in-person appearance. Instead of making vehicle registrations 2 years they should just make some services (ordinary registration renewal) available only online or via USPS.

Quote:
The DMV has no incentive to do its job well.
That's the problem, the same situation that makes it so difficult to fire non-preforming or otherwise unsuitable teachers. However, I blame the problem at our state government and at top DMV officials.

It's sad that people in most states complain about their DMV, it's not just California DMV.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
why not sync it with the smog test? + discount if you avail with it

Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Used to be a time when you could renew registration at a AAA office. I'm not sure if that's still true but if you have AAA maybe you could try them.

What a mess
Yes, you can renew your registration at an AAA office, but they don't DL renewals, though.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:42 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
why not sync it with the smog test? + discount if you avail with it
I love the every 2 year idea linked to the smog check! Don't get me wrong, I think both are nothing but huge taxpayer ripoffs, but if we're going to accept this then lets make it more reasonable than every flippin year.

I'm worried because I have to take my mom to DMV to take the written test soon, she's had 3 extensions already. She's 85 and had a ton of arthritis and joint problems and can't sit or stand too long. She barely drives anymore, just the grocery store and drug store around the corner from her house, so we can't just blow this off.

Last week I made an appointment to get my RealID: Dec 11th. I was able to renew my license online earlier this year but I want to get this RealID thing over with AND do some recon before I take my mom in.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I love the every 2 year idea linked to the smog check! Don't get me wrong, I think both are nothing but huge taxpayer ripoffs, but if we're going to accept this then lets make it more reasonable than every flippin year.

I'm worried because I have to take my mom to DMV to take the written test soon, she's had 3 extensions already. She's 85 and had a ton of arthritis and joint problems and can't sit or stand too long. She barely drives anymore, just the grocery store and drug store around the corner from her house, so we can't just blow this off.

Last week I made an appointment to get my RealID: Dec 11th. I was able to renew my license online earlier this year but I want to get this RealID thing over with AND do some recon before I take my mom in.
sometimes people in govt either just want to protect their job or they just lack the imagination to improve efficiency or both.

can you imagine how much we save if a new car can be registered for 7 years? then 2 years thereafter?

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
How is changing the registration period going to help reduce the waiting time to get an appointment at DMV? Only an idiot would renew their registration at DMV (unless there is an irregularity in their registration). You can renew your vehicle registration by mail. You can renew your vehicle registration online. For the vast majority of us there is absolutely no reason to ever appear in person at DMV except for drivers license transactions (which often require a sight test, written test, photograph and fingerprinting).

When you sell a vehicle you do not get a refund of your unused registration. The state gets free money. With a one year registration people lose on average a half year of paid but unused registration fee when they sell. With a two year registration would lose on average a full year of paid but unused registration fee when they sell.

A two year registration period would do nothing except waste more of our already too high registration fees, would result in free money for the state, and would have no effect on DMV office crowding if people would simply avail themselves of registration by mail and online.

It's an incredibly stupid idea because it accomplishes nothing. Instead what we need is an advertising campaign to inform vehicle owners of the availability to renew registrations by mail or online. AAA can also advertise more that they too handle registration and transfer matters without going to DMV.

BTW the first thing I do when I get a renewal notice is pay it online. They send the renewal notices an insane 2 months or longer before the due date. If I don't require a smog test I'm done, I get my new sticker way before it's required. If I need a smog test I usually get a notice from DMV that yeah they got the money now go get my damned car tested. If you have paid in advance the electronic report from the smog test station triggers the process that gets DMV to send your sticker.

The DMV offices are crowded, and the most likely reason is people who appear in person for matters they could take care of via mail or online.

People, please do not appear at your DMV office unless there is absolutely no other way you can take care of your business. That would help matters for people who have no choice except to appear in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
can you imagine how much we save if a new car can be registered for 7 years? then 2 years thereafter?
This is more stupidity. If you sell your car before 7 years, do you think DMV will refund your unused registration? Your registration is highest when the vehicle is new, so on an expensive vehicle if you sold it perhaps 3 years into your 7 year paid registration you could lose a couple thousand dollars of registration you won't be reimbursed for. Now do you think you have a good idea? Why don't you just pay by mail annually?

I want my money in my own pocket, not in DMV's funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California