Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

I have helped several of my retired friends navigate license renewals... even with an appointment it takes at least half a day door to door.

I just received my renewal 10 weeks out... there is not a single appointment in any of the 6 nearest offices until several weeks after my license expires... what kind a sham is this?

The head of the DMV said the backlog has been addressed by spending lots of money expanding services... my opinion is the taxpayers have been robbed...

Never seen anything like it... took a neighbor a few weeks ago and the line went around the building and down the street... Pleasanton Office...

Lifetime driving and never a ticket and now I am told the best I can do is plan to take a day off of work for finger print and picture?

I have many friends in other states with zero issues... and California is suppose to be the leader in technology... Horse Pucky

Fix the DMV and you will have my vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 01:58 PM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I just received my renewal 10 weeks out... there is not a single appointment in any of the 6 nearest offices until several weeks after my license expires...
That's horrible. Apparently some of this is due to all the requests for Real ID. Still, no excuse.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
I went through the same thing. Here’s another issue...when you go in, they won’t offer you the real ID license. If you say nothing you’ll get the same old license that won’t be good to get on a plane in the next couple of years.

You need to ask for it and you have to bring extra documents to prove who you are. Check the DMV website.

There are some DMV offices that have self serve kiosks. I think Genesee is one, but I’m not sure. Otherwise be prepared for a 3-5 hour wait.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:18 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I agree Ultrarunner. Dealing with the DMV now is a nightmare. I had an issue in August over my vehicle registration. As I've done for years, paid the fees online, received the tags in a matter of days. This year, did the same and though it was okay until I received an email stating I wasn't eligible to register online. Tried to get an appointment but, like you, I wouldn't have gotten one until six weeks after my registration expired.

Drove by my local office but the line wrapped around the building. I finally called and after two days attempting to get an actual live person, I was successful. After inquiring why I got this email, they told me they they didn't know why I was receiving it because my tags had been mailed out the previous day. I did receive the tags and haven't had any other issues but now I'm wondering how bad it will be, come January, when I have to renew my license.

Wish I could find out where that special office is in Sacramento where all the politicians go. Apparently, they have their own little office where there's no waiting and you're in and out in five minutes. Maybe Gov Brown could look into this before he leaves office. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:19 PM

The last time I was there with a friend was in March... she had an appointment and we were there three hours and twenty minutes they said her Social Security Card was faded and she needed to get it replaced... she has had it since 1945... needless to say we never went back… she will not be able to fly or enter a Federal Building or Military Base...

Sacramento is blowing this big time...

Old 09-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I agree Ultrarunner. Dealing with the DMV now is a nightmare. I had an issue in August over my vehicle registration. As I've done for years, paid the fees online, received the tags in a matter of days. This year, did the same and though it was okay until I received an email stating I wasn't eligible to register online. Tried to get an appointment but, like you, I wouldn't have gotten one until six weeks after my registration expired.

Drove by my local office but the line wrapped around the building. I finally called and after two days attempting to get an actual live person, I was successful. After inquiring why I got this email, they told me they they didn't know why I was receiving it because my tags had been mailed out the previous day. I did receive the tags and haven't had any other issues but now I'm wondering how bad it will be, come January, when I have to renew my license.

Wish I could find out where that special office is in Sacramento where all the politicians go. Apparently, they have their own little office where there's no waiting and you're in and out in five minutes. Maybe Gov Brown could look into this before he leaves office. Yeah, like that's going to happen.
My license renewal states I must begin the application online... but I went through that and then it said not eligible...

I printed it out and have my renewal notice and will be visiting my elected representative...

Your registration almost sounds like my nieces passport renewal... they were going to attend a wedding... her renewal was 14 weeks and counting...

I wrote Senator Diane Feinstein and said it is a shame the 11 year old has to stay home alone while her entire family out of the country... she got her new passport in 48 hours...

Just imagine if everything was run like the DMV or Passport Office???

My latest DMV registration snafu was a notice of penalties for delinquent registration... thing is I have the sticker and my cancelled check cashed weeks ahead of time...

DMV said it was a computer glitch... and that was all...

Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
May I suggest a lovely day’s drive to Field Office 661 to get your license renewal?

Arvin DMV Office
317 Campus Dr.
Arvin, CA 93203

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ice?number=661

Alternatively you might wish to drive north to Field Office 524:

Crescent City DMV Office
1475 Parkway Drive
Crescent City, CA 95531

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ice?number=524

You are welcome!

Old 09-16-2018, 02:28 PM

I did try as far away as Ukiah... about 160 miles away to the North and every office in between to get an appointment.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:36 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Crescent City’s your best bet ...

Old 09-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Crescent City’s your best bet ...
8 hour drive each way to cover 365 miles...

Maybe I can collect unemployment if I am dismissed for not having a license as occasional driving is part of my job description?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California