Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times

Advertisements

The registration fees go with the car, not the person. So if you sell your car while it's currently registered, there's an assumption that your selling price includes both the car and the unused registration.

For those that want to move to a 2-year registration--write or email your Legislator. The requirement that cars be renewed annually is in the California Vehicle Code, so the legislators would need to pass a law to change it.

A lot of people that go in person to DMV for simple vehicle registrations are often: 1) expired and hoping to get the late fees waived; 2) have put it off and are expiring in a few days and can't wait for it to be mailed; 3) have some odd issue that they feel they need to address in person.

Getting everyone to take care of their registration on time, via online or mail falls under the classification of "personal responsibility"--good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:03 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This is more stupidity. Why don't you just pay by mail annually?

I want my money in my own pocket, not in DMV's funds.
i think you are the one who is stupid. if you think paying year after year by mail or whatever is a good thing, then how much more if you dont do that year after year?

if you buy a house, isnt it the tax must have been paid up to the point of sale? what is stopping you from collecting from the buyer the portion of the registration you paid? i mentioned about discount in my other post if they implement things like these to get your moneys worth

innovation is thinking out of the box or anything that has not been done before. a

Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I pay online and avoid all the hassle. If everybody did that there would probably be no unreasonable waiting for those who make appointments.

The only thing that is broken is the masses of people who go to DMV when they could use mail or online. And people thinking the DMV will waive a late fee? Good luck with that. The rules are clear and a DMV employee would probably be disciplined if they excused a late fee. Anyway the process is probably automated and designed to spit out the exact amount due including late fees.

For people who are afraid the check won't get to DMV in time to avoid a late fee, and thus appear in person, DMV should make it their policy to assess a late fee only if postmarked after the due date.

As far as registering 7 years in advance, I don't want to tie up what could be a few thousand dollars of my money financing California (they already suck too much of our money), and yeah okay the registration goes to the buyer, how does putting my money in his pocket help me? In bargaining a sale price I bet that would be the first thing to go out the window.

I'm pretty sure the long lines are a result of people appearing unnecessarily at DMV to handle matters that could have been easily handled by mail or online (or at AAA for members).

Maybe the way to fix it would be to start charging service fees for people who appear at DMV when they could have handled their matter by mail or online. That would be much simpler than changing the registration period.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
Quote:
For people who are afraid the check won't get to DMV in time to avoid a late fee, and thus appear in person, DMV should make it their policy to assess a late fee only if postmarked after the due date.
That's been a standard policy for MANY years now.

Quote:
Maybe the way to fix it would be to start charging service fees for people who appear at DMV when they could have handled their matter by mail or online. That would be much simpler than changing the registration period.
I'm sure that would be considered to be unfair to poor people. Plus there are still a huge amount of people that are called "unbanked" or something like that, and do everything in cash. You can't force people to find some way to do online banking if they're not able to (too many bounced checks, whatever). No way would the Legislature approve charging a fee to people who need to pay cash.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
You can renew your vehicle registration by mail. You can renew your vehicle registration online. For the vast majority of us there is absolutely no reason to ever appear in person at DMV except for drivers license transactions (which often require a sight test, written test, photograph and fingerprinting).
Exactly.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:13 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:
Most people won't care about RealID. And we still have almost 2 years to comply if we wish to use our CDL as RealID.

I'm pretty sure my passport booklet or passport card will suffice, but I'd rather have it on my CDL.

Again: we got about 2 years before we have to care. And most of us won't care.

Yes, that's the way I understood it too....that your passport counts as a real ID and gives you all the permissions that the real ID does. You can get a passport from the Post Office pretty quickly without standing in line usually.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Yes, that's the way I understood it too....that your passport counts as a real ID and gives you all the permissions that the real ID does. You can get a passport from the Post Office pretty quickly without standing in line usually.
Although those who don't have a passport will have to pay $145 ($110 plus the $35 execution fee) to obtain one.

Anyone who wants to buy a firearm or ammunition will need a REAl ID after Oct.1, 2020.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
When it is said you need a Real ID to fly... I think they mean to fly domestic?

I can just see showing up in Paris at immigration with my California Real ID and giving everyone a laugh...

Sure a long way from when I went to Canada with my High School ID as idenification...

Plus... I have the Passport Card... which generates some strange looks... needed to have ID for HR at work and I presented my Passport Card and they had never seen one.

Let's just face it... the day will come when we are all chipped like pets...

Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
So... 2 hours and done.

It was not planned and as I could not get an appointment... mentioned to my Boss and was told to go NOW... thanks Boss.

I showed up 1:10 BEFORE the doors open and 45 minutes inside.

Staff was friendly but I was told without a Real ID I will be severely restricted including entry to many government buildings like court houses, elected representatives offices... flying to even lottery winnings... one more reason not to play the lottery!

I did ask a question no one could answer...

If summoned to Jury duty can I ignore it since Real ID is required and I will not have one?

PS... several around me were not able to do the required On Line renewal as directed by the Renewal Notice... apparantly another glitch?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-21-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
According to last night's news, the computer system crashed yesterday and people were given rain checks . . . well, sticky notes with a number on them. This morning's news said that a router had been to blame and was fixed or being fixed - can't remember as it was early and I was half asleep when I heard it. Maybe those people got caught up in the system problem? I do remember that you had to have specific platforms, like Internet Explorer and some others, to use the On Line renewal so maybe they didn't have the right ones.

Just glad you got it done. What a great boss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California