Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
If you agree with volosong in that there are definitely more important things to worry about, then why worry about "Prospector Pete" in the first place? As stated, when I attended CSULB, I was too busy studying to worry about any statues on campus. In fact, the only statues I remember looking at were the weird abstract ones on the northwest side of the engineering complex, yet I somehow managed to study without them bothering me.
Who said I was “worried” about anything ... let alone a statue? Eating healthy is much more important than fishing a piece of floating trash out of my harbor. Should I ignore the trash? What would be a reason I shouldn’t do both?

I said symbology is subliminal. Different meanings and impacts for different people. Why is your condition supposed to be a benchmark for people different than you? If the statue is basically invisible to you and doesn’t bother you, then why does it bother you that it bothers other people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
We pay people to make decisions like this?
We paid people to make the decision to create and place the statue. We paid a person to sculpt it. We paid people to install it. So yeah, we pay people to decide and do things ... big and small ... and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Wtf are you talking about OC? What “new masters”? What’s “white guilt” got to do with shucking off the bullsh*t of past cultural errors?
You wrote that the effects of symbols on human culture and interaction are powerful. I agreed and essentially proposed that new symbols as well as replacement of old symbols combined with criticism thereof, do have an effect. I pointed out that with respect to whites, including even first generation whites such as myself, the intended effect is blanket white guilt. Stop pretending it isn't happening. Perhaps you are so unaware of what is happening on college campuses that you do not see how widespread it is. I strongly suspect you just don't know.

By the way, are you following news from the Republic of South Africa, the world's supposedly first post racial society? Does the EFF mean anything to you? Julius Malema? Expropriation of land without compensation?

Old 09-22-2018, 04:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Oh yes, like perpetual white guilt is one such impact, an intended one.

The problem too is that this equalizing presupposes equality by the new masters in the future. As we are seeing in the Republic of South Africa now, that is just not panning (get the pun?) out.
Still have no idea what the item had to do with the complaint??? I suspect 99% of people have no idea.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
You wrote that the effects of symbols on human culture and interaction are powerful. I agreed and essentially proposed that new symbols as well as replacement of old symbols combined with criticism thereof, do have an effect. I pointed out that with respect to whites, including even first generation whites such as myself, the intended effect is blanket white guilt. Stop pretending it isn't happening. Perhaps you are so unaware of what is happening on college campuses that you do not see how widespread it is. I strongly suspect you just don't know.

By the way, are you following news from the Republic of South Africa, the world's supposedly first post racial society? Does the EFF mean anything to you? Julius Malema? Expropriation of land without compensation?
What guilt??? My family had nothing to do with it. Racial guilt is a phony ploy.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Not following S. Africa, so no, can’t comment.

You are really into the conspiracy thing, aren’t you? Who is ”intending blanket white guilt”? For what gain?

Old 09-22-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Not following S. Africa, so no, can’t comment.

You are really into the conspiracy thing, aren’t you? Who is ”intending blanket white guilt”? For what gain?
For starters, academia as is the topic at hand.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
For starters, academia as is the topic at hand.
Wait. Academia is conspiratorial? ALL colleges and universities are in this (except Christian, no doubt)? Secret meetings across the nation (globe)? Agendas mapped out to take over the world, I presume? To do what with it? Who are what kind of beneficiaries?

This is fascinating ... you’re right ... I had no idea all this was going on.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Who said I was “worried” about anything ... let alone a statue? Eating healthy is much more important than fishing a piece of floating trash out of my harbor. Should I ignore the trash? What would be a reason I shouldn’t do both?

I said symbology is subliminal. Different meanings and impacts for different people. Why is your condition supposed to be a benchmark for people different than you? If the statue is basically invisible to you and doesn’t bother you, then why does it bother you that it bothers other people?
Everything is offensive to somebody, and nobody is offended by nothing. Part of being an adult is learning the emotional maturity required to filter out things which we find offensive, and it's my belief that the student body of quite a few colleges need instruction in this topic because it seems to be lacking with quite a few of them.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What guilt??? My family had nothing to do with it. Racial guilt is a phony ploy.
Good that it wasn't instilled in you. Sadly, it is being instilled in colleges and universities now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California