Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
^ I don't think that's a clinical study; ergo, there's no control group, so they're just conflating correlation with causality.
Roflmmfao ... you go Exitus ... keep on keepin on bro

Bottom line re your previous protest: aside from Prop 47 cause/effect ... prisoners have been let out ... recidivism is down ... prison population reduced and remains low ... so ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
how about the thief's that stole my bike out of my garage? or the one that stole my succulent plants off my patio? or when my car was stolen from my driveway? Or the multiple car stereos I've had stolen from my car in my driveway? Are those felonies?
Theft of something from your garage is felony burglary. Assuming the value is below $950 the other situations you describe would be charged as misdemeanors, but check this out...they were always misdemeanors the only thing that prop 47 changed was raising the felony threshold to $950 from $400 which is pretty low considering that the threshold in Georgia is $1,500 and in Montana $2,000

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...eft-thresholds

Any other questions?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Roflmmfao ... you go Exitus ... keep on keepin on bro

Bottom line re your previous protest: aside from Prop 47 cause/effect ... prisoners have been let out ... recidivism is down ... prison population reduced and remains low ... so ...
L.A. County Sheriff Dept. deputies and LAPD officers say otherwise, and I know this because I've talked to them in person about Prop 47.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
L.A. County Sheriff Dept. deputies and LAPD officers say otherwise, and I know this because I've talked to them in person about Prop 47.
So, in one post you cry foul because you want a formal research study with controls ...
And in the next post you say it’s a wrap for your belief because you personally talked anecdotally with a couple cops on the beat.

Ok.

Got it.

Validation that can’t be denied, eh?

Lmao

Old 09-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Here's something to keep in mind. The way to get promoted in a Police or Sheriff's Dept is to make a lot of felony arrests. A large number of those arrests in the past consisted of addicts who were charged with a felony after being caught with a small amount of dope. Since prop 47 possession of a controlled substance is a misdemeanor, cops don't get promoted for making lots of misdemeanor arrests. Would you like prop 47 if you were a cop?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, in one post you cry foul because you want a formal research study with controls ...
And in the next post you say it’s a wrap for your belief because you personally talked anecdotally with a couple cops on the beat.

Ok.

Got it.

Validation that can’t be denied, eh?

Lmao
I knew you were going to say that.

But come on, wouldn't the people actually policing the streets have a better understanding of the situation than people who conducted a "study" with nothing to confirm a causality relationship with those numbers?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here's something to keep in mind. The way to get promoted in a Police or Sheriff's Dept is to make a lot of felony arrests. A large number of those arrests in the past consisted of addicts who were charged with a felony after being caught with a small amount of dope. Since prop 47 possession of a controlled substance is a misdemeanor, cops don't get promoted for making lots of misdemeanor arrests. Would you like prop 47 if you were a cop?
Okay, so now you're disparaging the integrity of law enforcement, not that I'm surprised since we all know you have a strong emotionally driven bias against law enforcers for some reason.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Okay, so now you're disparaging the integrity of law enforcement, not that I'm surprised since we all know you have a strong emotionally driven bias against law enforcers for some reason.
I'm not disparaging anyone and you know it. I stated a fact; in large part promotions are based on arrest stats, cops who make large numbers of felony arrests are more likely to be promoted than those who don't. Some agencies have an 'informal expectation' of a number of arrests or traffic citations and failure to consistently meet the 'expectation' can result in counseling which never looks good on a promotional review.

Before prop 47 addicts were a quick and easy way to rack up felony arrests, addicts rarely pose any real threat and there is no extensive investigation involved so if you know who the junkies are and you know which are on probation or parole and can be searched without a warrant you can arrest them all day long.

I'm sorry that reality got in the way of your perception of Police Officers as knights in shining armor, but facts are facts. My first husband was a CHP Officer, he hated getting "counseled" for not writing enough tickets so if it was near the end of the month he would hand out tickets for the stupidest most inconsequential violations that you can imagine. He didn't lack integrity, he was doing what he had to do to keep his job, just like I did when I worked in LE and just like all those cops who whine about prop 47 to you are doing.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I knew you were going to say that.

But come on, wouldn't the people actually policing the streets have a better understanding of the situation than people who conducted a "study" with nothing to confirm a causality relationship with those numbers?
No. Actually.

The view strictly from the street is anecdotal to the particular experience of one cop on one beat ... and subject to what sleepy is pointing out to boot.

Anyway, as I said earlier, you don’t need a study of causality to answer what you declared as a generalization. Your generalization said: “letting criminals out of prison increases crime” ... but the numbers show crime and recidivism is down even as more criminals have been released.

End of ‘effing story, bro.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:14 PM

So the two of you honestly believe that releasing criminals from prison does not increase crime in the free world? Do you two also believe that releasing sharks into a swimming pool does not increase a swimmer's chance of getting attacked by a shark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California