Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM

169 posts, read 561,986 times

Advertisements

I am looking at places to move to in CA. I have no idea where to start so I was hoping some of you could head me in the right direction. Here are the things that matter... good schools, open minds about religion, nice homes for families no higher than 350k, not too humid or hot. I think that about covers it. Oh yes, and not in the sticks. Any places come to mind? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Humidity isn't much of a problem but most parts of the state get pretty hot. What's your tolerance for heat? Under $350k, good climate, and not in the sticks is going to be a tough combination to satisfy. What are you willing to give up?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
I am looking at places to move to in CA. I have no idea where to start so I was hoping some of you could head me in the right direction. Here are the things that matter... good schools, open minds about religion, nice homes for families no higher than 350k, not too humid or hot. I think that about covers it. Oh yes, and not in the sticks. Any places come to mind? Thanks for your help!
If you can swing it, come on out and explore.
California is a big state and diverse in every way that you can imagine.
I'd drive up and down or down and up the coast (avoiding southern ca. unless you're drawn there - my bias of course) and then cut across and explore the Sierra. The center of the state is hot, hot, hot in the summer. It's not humid heat but it's hot. And much of it has poor air quality.
I'm in Santa Cruz and love it but the average cost of a home in S.C. county is around 750K! ouch. I'm just a little renter .
It might be a good idea to have a feeling for what natural environment you want. That's a pretty simple way of navigating. Ocean?, mountains? (high altitude, ie; Sierra? sea-level? smaller but near the ocean), foothills of the Sierra?, desert?
If you have some feel for that, it would help narrow your search and you may get more specific feedback about particular areas in the kind of natural environment you would most like.
I love the Sierra but i'm most familiar with the Truckee/Tahoe area and it is not cheap. sigh.
Good luck in your search.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 AM

169 posts, read 561,986 times
Thanks for the advice! It is something I will definitly have to research. I don't know if I can stand hot, hot, hot, but I also don't make much money as a teacher so I don't know if I can afford the coast. I have actually looked into Reno NV quite a bit which would be a much cheaper alternative.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! It is something I will definitly have to research. I don't know if I can stand hot, hot, hot, but I also don't make much money as a teacher so I don't know if I can afford the coast. I have actually looked into Reno NV quite a bit which would be a much cheaper alternative.
If you plan on teaching in CA you had better do your homework. CA has an education crisis and is increasing class sizes, laying-off teachers and cutting back in classroom support. My daughter is a teacher and would never consider teaching in CA again, she teaches in Texas. Try to find a state that supports teachers, that would not be CA.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
Quote:
Yes, i was thinking that last night while i was writing that post. Reno or surrounding towns either in CA or NV.
and Reno is less than 25 minutes from Truckee .... then your less than 5 hours from the ocean! And it's a beautiful area ... once you get through the zanyness of Reno (which i kinda like) and into CA, you're in Sierra heaven.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Just be careful if it is snowing on Donner Pass when you come. People get eaten up there!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Just be careful if it is snowing on Donner Pass when you come. People get eaten up there!!!!
LOL there hasn't been any fine dining like that for 150 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California