Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on Prop 10 on rent control?
Yes 15 21.13%
No 56 78.87%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:44 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwest View Post
Yes because rent is affordable in california right now , california has the highest rent in all of the united states if u vote no your pretty much saying lets let greedy landlords charge more and more every year and get away with it. A yes would let the city decide a fair price for all renters and make it more affordable.

Its a no brainer its a yes
So like communism?

No thanks

Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 836,165 times
Quote:
How would yes stop new construction do you have any proof of this? And california rent is at its peak if companies dont wanna make new construction because they will make less profit thats on them they already charge to much voting no means everything is fine with rent and nothing is wrong with the prices.
Like I said, sorry you can't look beyond the obvious. The only way construction of new units happens is if the builder can see an opportunity for profitability. If prices are controlled by cities, that takes that element of control out of the hands of the builder so they are less incentivized (this really isn't that hard to understand). If you can't see this, it's not worth it to continue this conversation with you. Just put your "yes" vote in and the majority that understand this will vote "no".

Old 10-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Lol no proof as i expected
Do u even live in california stupid
It sounds like your okay with the rise on rental properties
Voting yes means more affordable housing
Voting no means im okay paying 4k a month for rent i wanna let realtors charge as much as they please afterall rent is cheap in california.
Like I said, just vote "no". I'm not going to waste my time producing any stats for you as I know it's beyond you and I would just be wasting my time. I get tired of nonsense.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:36 PM

Like I said, I'm not too concerned about people that don't get it as it looks like it has no chance to pass

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/10/17/179...ia-survey-poll

I wish there was some place I could put a wager on it. Most people can see through the nonsense.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Pay more money for rent so your landlord lives good meanwhile the renters struggle to pay rent yeah that makes sense.
Umm, yeah. That's how it works in a free market society. You get to decide what to do with YOUR property.

Every landlord I know, struggled, saved, and invested THEIR money. Don't like it, move or buy a home.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:47 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Voting no only benefits the realtors
Agreed.

Proposition 10 would not change rent control laws anywhere in the state. Rather, it would overturn the Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act, a pro-landlord measure signed by Republican Gov. Pete Wilson in 1995. Costa-Hawkins barred municipalities from imposing rent control on single-family homes, condos or apartments constructed after Feb. 1, 1995, and sometimes even earlier. It generally mandated “vacancy decontrol,” in which a rent-controlled apartment is exempted from control after a tenant moves out.

Proposition 10 would take those handcuffs off municipal lawmakers and voters. Developers have spent heavily over the years to keep the handcuffs in place...

Proposition 10: Here's why you should vote for a measure even though it won't instantly help renters

Old 10-21-2018, 01:03 PM

145 posts, read 104,459 times
Voting Yes for now because the housing market in California is getting more and more like Taiwan, and I really don't want to see our economy relying too heavily on one sector.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed.

Proposition 10 would not change rent control laws anywhere in the state. Rather, it would overturn the Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act, a pro-landlord measure signed by Republican Gov. Pete Wilson in 1995. Costa-Hawkins barred municipalities from imposing rent control on single-family homes, condos or apartments constructed after Feb. 1, 1995, and sometimes even earlier. It generally mandated “vacancy decontrol,” in which a rent-controlled apartment is exempted from control after a tenant moves out.

Proposition 10 would take those handcuffs off municipal lawmakers and voters. Developers have spent heavily over the years to keep the handcuffs in place...

Proposition 10: Here's why you should vote for a measure even though it won't instantly help renters
Unfortunately, the LA Times wants money from me to be able to read the above article.

This proposition puts rent control at the local level. Let's say my city says rent must be controlled to a degree that landlords can't raise the rent anymore. Does that guarantee that now there will be a rental available at a price I want? No.

Do you think they'll be successful passing rent controls that lower current rents? No way.

Do you think all landlords will keep their properties as rentals? Would you?

So, what happens when the landlords simply sell out?

People need to think beyond their initial knee-jerk reaction. Yay! Rents will be cheaper! Let's vote for that!

But, people need to take a deep breath and think it through. Okay, what happens when the government says they can't raise their rents? What would you do, if you were a landlord? What happens if they decide to get out of a business that is hampering their ability to make a profit? What happens if they all sell out?

I think people need to understand that it's just not going to work to force private property owners into providing government housing, and that's exactly what rent control is all about.

If you don't subsidize a private owner for providing affordable housing, yet impose price controls on them, why on earth would they continue to provide any housing? I sure wouldn't.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-21-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Why stop there? Maybe the government should limit how much doctors can charge? Or plumbers, or car dealers, or the grocery store.

Hell, went not let the government control everything? Look how well it's worked out for Venezuela, or Cuba, or The Soviet Union?

Old 10-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
Voting Yes for now because the housing market in California is getting more and more like Taiwan, and I really don't want to see our economy relying too heavily on one sector.
So you're OK with the government controlling this? OK, what do you do for a living, and do you want the government to decide how much you make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California