Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:41 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And all of CA will pay for something that helps how many in reality?
Where I am there is something called the blue rail light that runs through some part of the city. Every time I see one passing through, I count about 5 passengers in a train that looks like it can accommodate 200 people. Yeah all taxpayers pay for those five people to ride that train. I am not sure if these 5 passengers even voted on this thing. Now taxpayers are on the hook forever. One has to wonder: how does something like this got on the ballot and passed? To find the answer, you have to look at who ultimately benefits. The people who built it, run it, police it, etc. are the real beneficiary of these taxpayer funded projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm hearing numbers like 70 or 80 billion. Does California need a bullet train?

We've already got Amtrak, MetroLink, and Southwest Airlines. There isn't anyplace I can't get to in California in an hour or so.

What's an 80 billion dollar train going to get us
I knew it would be a boondoggle, which is why I voted against it in the first place. I'm truly not happy to be proven correct.

The bullet train is a poster child for why America's infrastructure s*cks. Corruption and ineptitude are the primary problem, not lack of funds.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Yes yes yes

Old 10-22-2018, 04:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Where I am there is something called the blue rail light that runs through some part of the city. Every time I see one passing through, I count about 5 passengers in a train that looks like it can accommodate 200 people. Yeah all taxpayers pay for those five people to ride that train. I am not sure if these 5 passengers even voted on this thing. Now taxpayers are on the hook forever. One has to wonder: how does something like this got on the ballot and passed? To find the answer, you have to look at who ultimately benefits. The people who built it, run it, police it, etc. are the real beneficiary of these taxpayer funded projects.
Sad but true.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:46 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Yes yes yes
Care to tell us why?

Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Speaking as a person with some familiarity with the rail industry (transportation major and former railroad (Amtrak) employee), it doesn't suprise me in the least that good intentions and unrealistic promises are coming back to haunt us.

The system sold to politicians and a naive public was modeled upon economic conditions in Europe, public...
Interesting information; thanks for posting it.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Care to tell us why?
This happens because of what people familiar with urban transportation call the "peak/off-peak" pattern. People who commute to work tend to travel (and return) at the same time, and only on business days. Offering employees more flexibility in scheduling would be a help here, but I wouldn't expect it in the "culture of micromanagement" of the present day.

But so long as the equipment is there, its cheaper to use it -- even if it's only partially full.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Before contributing to this new thread about the bullet train, please read all of the posts on all of these earlier threads, so that we can avoid dredging up the tired old topics that have been posted over and over and over and over and ...

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...alifornia.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...in-valley.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...n-central.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...nces-amid.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-multiple.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...good-idea.html

Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I don't see how it can succeed, when nobody really understands the point or who would really benefit from it.

For me, in my life, as someone who lives in the SF Bay Area, and might visit a friend in San Diego once a year, that is the only time I'd use it.

So, for me, what would be cheaper? Flying or taking this train?

I don't know anyone who really understands the need for it. So, I see it as doomed to fail, based solely on that.

There isn't some huge need for northern or southern Californians to travel to either end on a regular basis - that can't be met now - for pretty cheap - by simply flying, for example.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Alll that money would be much (MUCH!) better spent making the I-5 freeway three lanes in each direction from the Grapevine to the San Jose / Stockton split up above Santa Nella.

MUCH better spent.
Make it 5 lanes, where one is a dedicated high speed lane (minimum of 90 MPH).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California