Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Seeing where you lived inCA I can understand why you think the quality of life in “CA” has gone downhill. The other 95% of CA has not gone downhill. If LA and the other places you mentioned were all that CA was I would have left too.
We actually did leave SoCal for many of those reasons after growing up there. I think for those newer to the area it is not as bad, perhaps. But watching what it became over several decades really makes one stop and think if its still worth living there or not.

To your point, there is more to CA than the just the Southland's concrete jungle as it came to be. Central and Northern Cal do provide other options within the state itself. Somewhat ironically, the central coast where we live in now is actually more laid back than the area I grew up in even 'before' the developers and investors went hog wild. Those nostalgic times when there were fewer homes crammed together, less traffic and more wide open spaces do exist to an even greater extent in Monterey and other coastal towns like San Luis Obispo now. The population growth is essentially flat. This is due at least in part to city growth restrictions and environmental laws throughout the most beautiful parts of the county including Big Sur and Carmel. I can't help but laugh to myself as I drive Hwy 1 'freeway' to work and it takes me all of 10 minutes after years of fighting some of the worst freeways in the nation with millions of others doing the same (405, 5, 10, 91, 110, 101). That's like an entirely different life and experience... all within the same great state.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:41 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
I live in Naples Island, and I do not believe there is an equivalent place in either Colorado, Idaho or Texas.

Also, why is there such a fixation on states like Colorado and Idaho? Those states are so cold and dry, and the landscapes are very windswept and barren-looking. Additioanlly, people in those states tend to be aloof, humorless and narcissistic.

Have you ever been to Middle Tennessee, Northern Michigan or the Eastern Shore of Maryland? Those places are much prettier country with noticeably friendlier people.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:27 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But be honest; most of us are not here to get "our money's worth." We're here because our jobs, family, and friends are here. Yeah, the weather's great, and so are the mountains and beaches, but how great would they be without a way to get there (jobs) and people with whom to go (family and friends).
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!! Those are the primary reasons why I'm still here, and I think this is true of many native or long-time Californians. I wasn't born in CA, but my family moved here when I was 6 years old; so I fall under the latter category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
And to be honest, most of us don't live our lives around our friends and extended family. Jobs: you can find one somwhere else unlike family and friends who won't follow you elsewhere.
Some of us do, though - especially those of us without our own spouses/children, who ONLY have "extended" (immediate or relative) family & friends in our lives. Without my family and friends, I only have pets for companionship. They're great, but hardly a substitute for human loved ones.

Jobs are just a way to make money, and if you're lucky (thankfully I am), you'll enjoy what you do to earn it. But how many of us would continue working without getting paid? And if you have a good relationship with your family/friends, how many would abandon them for a paycheck? And humans are social creatures by nature, so for most of us, it IS important to be around our loved ones. Maybe not all of them, but I wouldn't be happy moving somewhere with NO family or friends. That was fine when I was in college, since you have sort of a built-in social network... but now, as a single woman in my 40s? Not so appealing or easy.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-30-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I challenge you to support your assertions with facts.
In case you ask the same of me, I am only speaking for myself... you're the one who claimed "most of us (don't live our lives around friends/family)," but then challenged someone who responds with a personal opinion? Solid logic there, lol.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
So true Ruth...Once you experience Summer or Winter in other parts of the Country you really appreciate the weather we have here in California
Agreed! I was born in Maryland, but came here as a child... and whenever I visit the northeast again, I remember why we left. I was just in Maryland for a wedding this summer, and ugh the humidity was stifling. I can manage some rain and snow (as I did when I lived in Oregon & Lake Tahoe), but that oppressive humidity is where I draw the line. Oh, and the bugs too!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!! Those are the primary reasons why I'm still here, and I think this is true of many native or long-time Californians. I wasn't born in CA, but my family moved here when I was 6 years old; so I fall under the latter category.

Some of us do, though - especially those of us without our own spouses/children, who ONLY have "extended" (immediate or relative) family & friends in our lives. Without my family and friends, I only have pets for companionship. They're great, but hardly a substitute for human loved ones.

Jobs are just a way to make money, and if you're lucky (thankfully I am), you'll enjoy what you do to earn it. But how many of us would continue working without getting paid? And if you have a good relationship with your family/friends, how many would abandon them for a paycheck? And humans are social creatures by nature, so for most of us, it IS important to be around our loved ones. Maybe not all of them, but I wouldn't be happy moving somewhere with NO family or friends. That was fine when I was in college, since you have sort of a built-in social network... but now, as a single woman in my 40s? Not so appealing or easy.
True, money is not even close to being as important as family and friends.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Because Californians are moving to Texas in droves
Lol. No they’re not. I have a few friends who moved to Texas. They all took a paycut to move there. I had two tenants move from Texas to SoCal and they all had a 30/35% higher income here than Texas.
Don’t get me wrong. I like Texas. I’m not sure if I would want to move there.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:02 AM

716 posts, read 539,476 times
i can tell that the COL in central texas is 30% plus lower than SO Calif after living here since April - gas 2.50, elec rate 9.4 kw net, car registration 2/3 lower than calif and most important no tricking traffic

plus you add in the southern hospitality and we cant be happier - born and raised in So calif 64 years - but the taxes, the dilhole people, the stupid fracking voters, traffic, fees, and the liberals has made the state unlivable for us. good bye you moonbeam and your taxing ahole legislators

Old 11-01-2018, 11:28 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i can tell that the COL in central texas is 30% plus lower than SO Calif after living here since April - gas 2.50, elec rate 9.4 kw net, car registration 2/3 lower than calif and most important no tricking traffic

plus you add in the southern hospitality and we cant be happier - born and raised in So calif 64 years - but the taxes, the dilhole people, the stupid fracking voters, traffic, fees, and the liberals has made the state unlivable for us. good bye you moonbeam and your taxing ahole legislators
Tell us how you really feel. If a 30% discount is worth living in central Texas more power to you. Personally I’d rather pay 30% more than I’m paying now to stay here, but that’s me. You left and found your nirvana, cheer up and move on.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:36 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post

What's your property tax rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California