Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Those of us who are old enough remember what places like LA used to be like. The description of being third world like is very apt. Please do not assume that just because we criticize California voters that we have not read, even studied, the initiatives to the extent time permitted.
Don't generalize. I remember perfectly well the way L.A. "used to be," having grown up as a child here in the 1960s/1970s. And anyone who really thinks that L.A. is like a third world country, and needs to post anonymously that the rest of us are all "stupid"--because we voted to pass three propositions on a ballot that will cost us something--is one ill informed person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 04:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
I want to know how this pension issue is going to be resolved without someone getting royally screwed over.

Does the State either A:

Raise taxes to the tune of 100, 200, 1000% across the board?

Or B: Will they have to borrow a play that some companies have gotten some free advertising for-namely firing someone-and nullifying their pension-one day before they became eligible for it?

Are State pensions "all or nothing" like that or are they pro rated (so to speak) for years of service?

Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well david, just to be sure we are clear about your original meaning ... you posted:

The word pensioner refers to someone who is receiving a pension.

Did you mean that? Or did you mean a public employee who will, in the future, receive a pension?

I ask because if you meant the former, as the word is defined, then vested pensioners are already collecting on a guaranteed retirement income ... and future tax increases are irrelevant to the active guaranteed income.

If perhaps you meant the latter, then I suppose you are inferring that, until vested, pension terms might change and more tax revenue will support the pension terms agreed upon when the employee was hired?

As to California pensions being underfunded, California is exactly middle of the pack in national ranking of state pension funding, at 69.5% funded:

You can compare with other states here:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ions/36987979/

The fact that the amount in dollars is huge, is not the critical issue: ability to earn is. And California, as you know, is the nation’s wealthiest economy.

So, public employees already taking their pension have no pension benefit from increased taxes.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...-chp-pensions/

Quote:
Californians in April will start paying more to register their cars — not to help maintain roads, but to keep the pension checks rolling for the motorcycle cops who policed them.
The above is what you conveniently ignored in your response. The government raised DMV tax to pay for pensions of retired CHP cops. How are they not benefiting from increased taxes?

Old 11-08-2018, 05:10 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
It never ceases to amaze me that folks can make blank generalizations of millions of people. The whatever I do and think is correct, but whoever disagrees with me is totally stupid the fact people can think like this is moronic in itself.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:21 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...-chp-pensions/

The above is what you conveniently ignored in your response. The government raised DMV tax to pay for pensions of retired CHP cops. How are they not benefiting from increased taxes?
I didn’t “conveniently ignore” it at all. It doesn’t mean the tax increases are required for vested retired pensioners to continue getting their checks.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 PM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
Citizen you need too read the post again - i never said active duty personnel should not be paid to do a job most won't - but AFTER ACTIVE i see no reason they should paid outrages benefits including medical after their service is complete

on top of that most retire in their 50's and will live longer than they actually worked- simple math shows that it cant be sustain and that taxes will have to go up - you are paying for two employees one on active duty and the at dole

i think this is me to pay outrageous taxes, fees, sales tax and utility taxes because the spineless politicians refuse to tackle the issue

dont give that bullcrap about promises - what about the promises for the taxpayer not to be taxed into debt? don we have rights too?

keep voting those dikheads into office after year - and i will keep reading how the taxpayers keep compiling year in year out on CD- it makes for good reading

Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Citizen you need too read the post again - i never said active duty personnel should not be paid to do a job most won't - but AFTER ACTIVE i see no reason they should paid outrages benefits including medical after their service is complete

on top of that most retire in their 50's and will live longer than they actually worked- simple math shows that it cant be sustain and that taxes will have to go up - you are paying for two employees one on active duty and the at dole

i think this is me to pay outrageous taxes, fees, sales tax and utility taxes because the spineless politicians refuse to tackle the issue

dont give that bullcrap about promises - what about the promises for the taxpayer not to be taxed into debt? don we have rights too?

keep voting those dikheads into office after year - and i will keep reading how the taxpayers keep compiling year in year out on CD- it makes for good reading
Spoken by someone who obviously has never served in military conflict or as a first responder.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Don't generalize. I remember perfectly well the way L.A. "used to be," having grown up as a child here in the 1960s/1970s. And anyone who really thinks that L.A. is like a third world country, and needs to post anonymously that the rest of us are all "stupid"--because we voted to pass three propositions on a ballot that will cost us something--is one ill informed person.
Another Ad Hominem. Those who disagree with your political opinions are all ill informed huh?

Let us just start with this: Tell us about the schools in LA since the time period you described. Are they as good? If not, why is that the case? Oh, let me guess, because we don't spend enough on the schools. Well, LA County starves Arcadia of funds and it still does well. Please explain why Arcadia does well.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Another Ad Hominem. Those who disagree with your political opinions are all ill informed huh?

Let us just start with this: Tell us about the schools in LA since the time period you described. Are they as good? If not, why is that the case? Oh, let me guess, because we don't spend enough on the schools. Well, LA County starves Arcadia of funds and it still does well. Please explain why Arcadia does well.
What is it with you and the obsession with “ad hominem”? CA4Now wasn’t referring to a specific person, she was generalizing about a type of mindset.

Good grief man ...

Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Ad hominem must be your buzzword tonight. What happened to you accusing everyone on this thread who doesn't share your beliefs of "virtue signaling"?

Quote:
That's not the topic of this thread. Nice try, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California