Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 10:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Update: today, 2/1/2019 we caught another cat in the trap. This cat has a tag with phone numbers and the owners are on the way to get her. This cat went missing the same day on November 8, 2018 and survived almost three months. Amazing creatures, they really are. The common statement with the nine lives of the cat is a major understatement.
You are my hero. In spite of all you've been through, you've stepped up to help those who can't help themselves. I am truly touched. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,735,262 times
What you guys don't know is that our Airedale went missing the very first day when we returned to Paradise. Our fence was severely damaged on two sides and before I realized the problem I let Tobi run in the backyard.
He got out and didn't return. He had our address and the useless landline phone number on his collar tag, plus the internal micro chip with more details.
I requested call forwarding from the disabled landline to our cell, but Comcast/Xfinity flatly declined even for a week. Shame shame on Xfinity.

Next morning before I could contact the nearby animal shelters a white Ford F150 stops in front of the house. A dear man, named Todd Miller, gets out and asks me if we have a dog.
We used to have one, I told him.
Come take a look, he says, he is in my truck, and he spent the night with us. I mean Tobi spent the night with him, not the other way around.
So I hugged Todd rather hard and when he recovered he pulled Tobi out of the truck, on a leash, before he could bolt again. I mean Tobi, Todd is very reliable.

Ever since then I feel I'm in debt to Todd Miller, or in humanity in general, and try to do my best.
That trap was meant for Ariel, the neighbors' cat, but even if we didn't find her (not yet, but there is hope, isn't ?) we helped two other families and their beloved pet.

I wouldn't last a day under these cicumstances, out in the cold wind and rain with no shelter, while Tobi could make it for a week, maybe, and these amazing cats survived three months, and they still look as good as the day they get out of the groomers' salon.
Karma all over, there is simply no better explanation. Remarkable creatures, I am humbled beyond belief.

Last edited by mgforshort; 02-03-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,375 times
Quote:
What you guys don't know is that our Airedale went missing the very first day when we returned to Paradise. Our fence was severely damaged on two sides and before I realized the problem I let Tobi run in the backyard.
He got out and didn't return. He had our address and the useless landline phone number on his collar tag, plus the internal micro chip with more details.
I requested call forwarding from the disabled landline to our cell, but Comcast/Xfinity flatly declined even for a week. Shame shame on Xfinity.

Next morning before I could contact the nearby animal shelters a white Ford F150 stops in front of the house. A dear man, named Todd Miller, gets out and asks me if we have a dog.
We used to have one, I told him.
Come take a look, he says, he is in my truck, and he spent the night with us. I mean Tobi spent the night with him, not the other way around.
So I hugged Todd rather hard and when he recovered he pulled Tobi out of the truck, on a leash, before he could bolt again. I mean Tobi, Todd is very reliable.

Ever since then I feel I'm in debt to Todd Miller, or in humanity in general, and try to do my best.
That trap was meant for Ariel, the neighbors' cat, but even if we didn't find her (not yet, but there is hope, isn't ?) we helped two other families and their beloved pet.

I wouldn't last a day under these cicumstances, out in the cold wind and rain with no shelter, while Tobi could make it for a week, maybe, and these amazing cats survived three months, and they still look as good as the day they get out of the groomers' salon.
Karma all over, there is simply no better explanation. Remarkable creatures, I am humbled beyond belief.
I agree re Comcat/Xfinity--shame, shame, shame. They have lost my business.

Again, msforshort, your giving, selfless and kind actions and heart are an example I think we might all consider emulating. Respect!!!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times
Quote:
Wow. Best of karma, well earned.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:56 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
mgforshort, your story is one of the finest examples of "paying it forward." You could have been satisfied with seeing Tobi returned but that's not how you roll, I suspect. No doubt, all those folks who got their pet back, due to your actions, are grateful. Maybe they'll pass it along, just as you did. Frankly, if more people were like that, we might be living in a different society. Well done, sir.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:22 PM

I saw this on the news last night and started thinking, what about all those who have returned to their home but are surrounded by burned out homes? Like yours, mgforshort. Will you have to leave your home while they clean up the neighborhood or are homeowners be able to stay put?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I saw this on the news last night and started thinking, what about all those who have returned to their home but are surrounded by burned out homes? Like yours, mgforshort. Will you have to leave your home while they clean up the neighborhood or are homeowners be able to stay put?

I wondered about this too.
And is this a regular policy and concern for the health of citizens, or something instituted only for this situation? I can't recall hearing about this before.

I have a very fire resistant house and I always thought that if all the wood framed houses around me burned I could come back to mine. This whole situation in Paradise has me wondering if I could, or would even want to.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I wondered about this too.
And is this a regular policy and concern for the health of citizens, or something instituted only for this situation? I can't recall hearing about this before.

I have a very fire resistant house and I always thought that if all the wood framed houses around me burned I could come back to mine. This whole situation in Paradise has me wondering if I could, or would even want to.
Exactly. I don't recall hearing this type of thing happening after the huge fire in Santa Rosa. Could be, in that case, people had a place to go whereas many in Paradise had no place else to go so staying on their own land was all they had. This doesn't include those who were renting, though. When they lost the home they were renting, they really lost it all. No home, no belongings, maybe no renter's insurance. Really. Lost everything!

Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Yes, mg; there are others in Paradise, who stayed through the fire, and saved their homes by watering the exterior with their hoses, for example. Will they have to move? If there are issues with toxic substances, the clean up could stir those up into the air. My guess is, that residents of homes that survived the fire would have to leave temporarily, at least. However long "temporarily" turns out to mean...

And how/where to accommodate the other thousands of people, in their RV's? National parks and trailer parks and campgrounds, as a temporary solution? This would have to be massively co-ordinated, with someone managing temporary space allocations to thousands of people around the region.

I think FEMA should intensively get on the stick, and figure out an m.o., a procedure to follow, that will be replicable for future cases. This can't be approached haphazardly.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-06-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 01:29 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
I read this article in the Sac Bee that FEMA is making everyone move off their property if it needs to be cleaned up because the funding is only for property that is uninhabitable https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...225510275.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California