Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times

Advertisements

I know some of our posters live in the fire area or nearby and others may be concerned about the welfare of friends and family there. Here's a link to a great source of information. You'll need to refresh it periodically for the latest information but it's far more up to date than the general news media has been due to accessibility issues.

https://yubanet.com/Fires/camp/

Sending prayers and holding good thoughts for those affected by this devastating fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I'm in Cloverdale now and it looks worse here. I know the fire is up there, but the air quality is abysmal here right now. Visibility is very limited.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:53 PM

I believe it. I'm in Roseville and the smell is bad but the visibility isn't that bad. It must be all blowing west towards you. Save your lungs as best you can. Smoke is insidious so keep your doors and windows closed and don't exercise outdoors until conditions improve. Says I, who have had smoke inhalation. Wish I'd known then what I know now.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Know that a Coloradan is watching and hoping fervently that this fire is contained soon. Be safe, all.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:34 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
The fire is burning through the lovely little town of Paradise. Reports are that part of the hospital has burned and that the high school is lost. There are fatalities and as many as 1000 buildings have been lost. The Carr fire here in Redding area took about 1200 buildings but took a week to do it. This fire started this morning.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The fire is burning through the lovely little town of Paradise. Reports are that part of the hospital has burned and that the high school is lost. There are fatalities and as many as 1000 buildings have been lost. The Carr fire here in Redding area took about 1200 buildings but took a week to do it. This fire started this morning.
Oh no. I was so hopeful that this fire would be contained before it could do extensive damage to the town. Paradise is such a lovely part of California. Where are evacuees going? Still to Chico or is that vulnerable, too?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh no. I was so hopeful that this fire would be contained before it could do extensive damage to the town. Paradise is such a lovely part of California. Where are evacuees going? Still to Chico or is that vulnerable, too?
I think Many are going to Chico and some down to Oroville. There is a video which you can probably find online of traffic going down the Skyway towards Chico with flames on both sides of the road and waves of sparks/embers washing across the road like blowing snow.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I think Many are going to Chico and some down to Oroville. There is a video which you can probably find online of traffic going down the Skyway towards Chico with flames on both sides of the road and waves of sparks/embers washing across the road like blowing snow.
Thank you for the update.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:48 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I woke up this morning & when I opened my blinds I saw a red glow in the East. i presumed it was a red sunrise, so commented to Hubby, who then went outside * said he could smlee smoke. Went online & saw the tv reports & then we got the call to evacuate. Grabbed a few things & took off. An elderly neighbor flagged us down & asked for a lift, so we took his Mom & daughter. Dropped them at an evacuation center in Oroville. We then proceeded to look for a place to stay, we have our cats with us, so the evac center has many large dogs, so a motel seemed a better option for us. but Oroville was sold out on motels & hotels. so we took off further south to Marysville, & got a room, kind of a dump, but it is a safe bed for the night & our cats are exploring. We will look for a better place in the morning. I doubt our home is still standing.

It took about 4 hours to drive 20 miles, can you say gridlock.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I woke up this morning & when I opened my blinds I saw a red glow in the East. i presumed it was a red sunrise, so commented to Hubby, who then went outside * said he could smlee smoke. Went online & saw the tv reports & then we got the call to evacuate. Grabbed a few things & took off. An elderly neighbor flagged us down & asked for a lift, so we took his Mom & daughter. Dropped them at an evacuation center in Oroville. We then proceeded to look for a place to stay, we have our cats with us, so the evac center has many large dogs, so a motel seemed a better option for us. but Oroville was sold out on motels & hotels. so we took off further south to Marysville, & got a room, kind of a dump, but it is a safe bed for the night & our cats are exploring. We will look for a better place in the morning. I doubt our home is still standing.

It took about 4 hours to drive 20 miles, can you say gridlock.
I'm so glad you checked in here. I've had you on my mind today. The most important thing is that you and yours are OK. At least you were able to get a room. One time when we had to evacuate for one of the Nevada County fires, we ended up sleeping in our vehicles with our critters since all the motels which took pets were full. Our house did survive, fortunately. I hope you're one of the lucky ones. Strange things happen so keep your hopes up until you can't. A family member lost his home in a wildfire but it was the only one on his street to burn. All the others were unscathed. So you just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California