Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

Can anybody suggest an actionable approach to try and get out of paying this ridiculous car use tax in CA when I bought my car in another state almost a year ago? I was in another state almost the entire year save about 10 days.

Like an honest citizen, I dated my car registration form honestly instead of fudging the date. Now I owe over $1100 when I wasn’t even in CA almost the whole year! If I had fudged the date I would owe $0! How does that make any sense?!!!

Now I am a Kafkaesque nightmare. I have about 30 days left on a temporary registration to try and find relief from paying this tax. I went to a local CDTFA office (California Department of Tax and Fee Administration). I got the expected bureaucratic response of there was no possible relief from the tax.

Anybody have any suggested actions to take? Obviously I am open to ideas since this is going to otherwise cost me $1,100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
IMO if you can afford to buy a car that results in an $1100 car tax you can easily afford the sales tax.

No sympathy here

Old 11-11-2018, 11:41 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Wait, are you talking about registration fees, or sales tax on a vehicle less than a year old?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Yes, basically the sales tax (the CDTFA worker used the phrase "use" tax, so that is what I used); but it is essentially the sales tax from the nearly year ago transaction I made in another state (while living in that state almost the entire year, and not living in CA).

In regards to the 1st reply, my purchase price is well well well below the average car purchase price; and I hadn't bought a car in 19 years. So no, I cannot afford to just be throwing around $1100. Again, I can't understand the rational or justness in having to pay $1,100; but 10 days later and I would owe $0.

(debating this is not really the point of my thread, though)

The registration fees are different I have already paid them. The $1100 represents the net difference in sales tax between CA and my prior state (as I paid sales tax there for the transaction).

Last edited by 99Percenter; 11-11-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Percenter View Post
Yes, basically the sales tax (the CDTFA worker used the phrase "use" tax, so that is what I used); but it is essentially the sales tax from the nearly year ago transaction I made in another state (while living in that state almost the entire year, and not living in CA).

In regards to the 1st reply, my purchase price is well well well below the average car purchase price; and I hadn't bought a car in 19 years. So no, I cannot afford to just be throwing around $1100. Again, I can't understand the rational or justness in having to pay $1,100; but 10 days later and I would owe $0.

(debating this is not really the point of my thread, though)
I agree, that law is essentially a screw job. It was a huge hassle for me to bring a less than year old leased car to CA. When you lease you pay the sals tax each month. DMV acted like they had never heard of that and were sure I was trying to get away with something. Took 3 months to clear up.
Good luck, but I’m pretty sure you can argue till the end times and you’re still going to be $1100 lighter.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:01 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Percenter View Post
Can anybody suggest an actionable approach to try and get out of paying this ridiculous car use tax in CA when I bought my car in another state almost a year ago? I was in another state almost the entire year save about 10 days.

Like an honest citizen, I dated my car registration form honestly instead of fudging the date. Now I owe over $1100 when I wasn’t even in CA almost the whole year! If I had fudged the date I would owe $0! How does that make any sense?!!!

Now I am a Kafkaesque nightmare. I have about 30 days left on a temporary registration to try and find relief from paying this tax. I went to a local CDTFA office (California Department of Tax and Fee Administration). I got the expected bureaucratic response of there was no possible relief from the tax.

Anybody have any suggested actions to take? Obviously I am open to ideas since this is going to otherwise cost me $1,100.
California is essentially a nanny state. We have a huge infrastructure of welfare and free stuff for everybody.

Somebody has to pay for all that free stuff.

This year, it's going to be you.

Welcome to California. Wait til you get your property tax bill.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM

585 posts, read 634,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
California is essentially a nanny state. We have a huge infrastructure of welfare and free stuff for everybody.

Somebody has to pay for all that free stuff.

This year, it's going to be you.

Welcome to California. Wait til you get your property tax bill.
^ This!!

Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Who cares. You registered a car in this state. The use tax is the tax paid for the purchase of the vehicle. The amount of time you spend in the state doesn’t matter. It’s not a prorated tax amount.
You should of simply gone on and reregistered it in the other state.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:38 AM

The amount of time I spend in the state DOES matter. 10 days later and I would owe $0.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
The short answer is there is nothing you can do to lower your use tax obligation in California. I wonder if you could apply for a refund from the state you departed.

Think of it as the price you pay to live in Paradise.

Welcome to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California