Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,868,267 times

Advertisements

California is still the Land of Opportunities,so people will continue to move here,and not all of California is expensive or overcrowded..The Central Valley and The High Desert Communities is not overpopulated and it's more affordable than the Coastal Metro Areas,but this affordability is by California Standards.

The color coded map in the link you posted had this entire state colored in Red,many outsiders would think we were all living in a war zone or something from looking at that map...Yeah we have natural disasters and unnatural disasters,but so does every other part of the World in one way or another..We all live in an imperfect World.

The current wildfires were having is the worst wildfire in the state's history,but it represents a very small percent of the state's area,so most people and most areas are not directly affected by it,though they do issue air quality alerts in certain areas because of the fires.

People have that choice whether to remain here or move elsewhere,and even though many have moved away,in my opinion the majority of people enjoy living here in California including myself

California may have it's problems,but so does everywhere else,and despite all of the problems we face here,I still believe this is a wonderful place to live in and the Positives of living here outweigh the Negatives in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not trying to be mean or nasty, but I am just puzzled.

I lived in SoCal from 1963-1986, and even back then, I hated the overpopulation and the climate. (My parents moved there from Ohio when I was a child, so I had no choice, and then my then-husband and I could not move because of he owned his own business, but as soon as we divorced and I could move, I did so.)

Now, of course, I realize that different people like different environments, but I just don't understand why people continue to live in California when it is so expensive to live there and every year, it seems to be more dangerous to live there. If you look at the map linked below, you will see that all of California is bright red (very high hazard risk), and yet the homes are, on average, more than twice as much as the low hazard areas.

https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...ng-risk-index/

If one has owned their home for a long time, with the equity they would have, they could buy another home outright somewhere else; and there are some places that are almost begging for employees.

Again, I am just puzzled, and I certainly don't mean to insult or offend anyone by my question.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:52 PM

102,167 posts, read 107,665,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Proposition 13 has been here for a while. You can’t blame it on proposition 13. The tuition has trippled since 2007 to present.

Maybe because all those states are blue states, they pay lips service to the middle class but they don’t give a damn for middle class people.
Oh? Michigan came in for Trump. Your credibility here is slipping fast, and you're proving yourself to be posting here with a political agenda (again dragging politics into education). Off-topic, again.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:56 PM

42,821 posts, read 26,192,755 times
[quote=NewbieHere;53651643]First of all, I don’t appreciate you rep telling me about Schawerzenegger. You violated the TOS for repping. Whatever you need to say, say it here.
/QUOTE]

I did not "rep" you, I hope that you will ask a moderator who did so because they can identify who leaves rep points or messages. If you don't I will contact one and ask them to look into it because I don't like being accused of something that I didn't do

Old 11-15-2018, 02:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,739,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh? Michigan came in for Trump. Your credibility here is slipping fast, and you're proving yourself to be posting here with a political agenda (again dragging politics into education). Off-topic, again.
Forget about Trump, as you said they have been defunding for years, Trump has only been president since 2016. So even your own statement is conflicting.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM

[quote=2sleepy;53651819]
Quote:
First of all, I don’t appreciate you rep telling me about Schawerzenegger. You violated the TOS for repping. Whatever you need to say, say it here.
/QUOTE]

I did not "rep" you, I hope that you will ask a moderator who did so because they can identify who leaves rep points or messages. If you don't I will contact one and ask them to look into it because I don't like being accused of something that I didn't do
It’s probably Ruth4Truth then.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Universities give out all sorts of financial aid in addition state and federal aid based on your families finances.
If you're unlucky and fall into the "my parents make enough to survive and not mooch but aren't rich category" then you get screwed. The rich don't care cause they can afford it and the poor don't care cause someone else is paying.
I never suggested that the middle class should have to incur huge student loan debt to pay for college, I think undergraduate college education at public colleges should be free except for student fees and books. so I'm not sure why you directed that comment at me, I was simply pointing out the reality - a family earning $85,000 are unlikely to get much help in the form of grants for their kids education.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I never suggested that the middle class should have to incur huge student loan debt to pay for college, I think undergraduate college education at public colleges should be free except for student fees and books. so I'm not sure why you directed that comment at me, I was simply pointing out the reality - a family earning $85,000 are unlikely to get much help in the form of grants for their kids education.
They get free tuition if you make $84,000 for the UC, but not $86,000. Not Pell Grant, Blue and Gold Grant. I’m not sure why you bring Pell Grant.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 PM

[quote=NewbieHere;53652081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

It’s probably Ruth4Truth then.
I don't know and I don't care. If I leave a comment on a rep, I always include my username but I really think you should ask a moderator rather than make accusations

Old 11-15-2018, 02:31 PM

[quote=2sleepy;53652100]
Quote:

I don't know and I don't care. If I leave a comment on a rep, I always include my username but I really think you should ask a moderator rather than make accusations
Only two persons I’m debating here. Actually I don’t care, just rudeness.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
They get free tuition if you make $84,000 for the UC, but not $86,000. Not Pell Grant, Blue and Gold Grant. I’m not sure why you bring Pell Grant.
It's actually $80,000 and it only covers state universities not state colleges. http://admission.universityofcalifor...11_english.pdf

I mentioned Pell grants because they are the most common grant applied for, but just give it a rest now,ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California