Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
59 inches last year.
Yes. Last year was a good year all over the state for rain however previous years will show you, the entire state was below normal and was that way for several years. That takes a toll on the root system of the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Pardon any ignorance on my part regarding this topic, but the most common natural disasters in California seem to be wildfires, and they seem to be more common in California than just about anywhere else in the country. With the exception of one wildfire in Tennessee last year I believe it was, wildfires in the east, south east, and midwest seem very very rare, especially when compared with an almost regular occurrence of wildfires in California.

So to an outsider, who has never even visited California, can you explain to me and others who may be wondering, why are wildfires so common in California? And why are they so unimaginably destructive?

My theories, based on very limited research, were a combination of the following:

- Over population in drier areas. Too many people in places that are susceptible to fires due to a drier climate means increased chance of someone throwing a cigarette butt out the window, or power lines to the millions of people defaulting and sparking, or motorists driving up and down highways may inadvertently send sparks off through chains or other portions of a vehicle scrapping the roadway.

- Dry climate susceptible to fire either from campers or lightning. I know southern California is rather dry, but my understanding was that northern California was more temperate and saw more rain. A quick Google search states that Paradise California receives over 50 inches of rain per year? This seems pretty high, higher than I would have anticipated. It's higher than even a wet season here in the Midwest, we average 38-39 inches of rain per year here, and we're close to 50 this year, way above normal. Is Paradise normally that wet? Sacramento averages about 18-20 inches of rain, mostly in the Winter months, according to the same search.

Any enlightenment on these disasters and their factors would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Interesting. I just read a long article on a huge prairie fire in the mid-west that took place this year, leveled a couple of communities, and miraculously sparing one community, which attributes its good fortune to intervention by the Divine. For some reason, this event didn't get much, if any, national media attention. Also, I can't help but point out that WA State has been having its share of forest fires, some so severe, that they caused ash to fall for days over the mountains and in Seattle, from the eastern half of the state.

So, IDK. CA sseems to be grabbing the national news, while other regions are not. Go figure. But part of the problem is CA is turning out to be poorly-maintained electrical lines. These aren't lightning fires, like in British Columbia, or fires due to careless campers in parks. Some of CA's worst fires have been due to utility company negligence. That, IMO, shouldn't be tolerated. Another main, and obvious, factor is the prolonged drought in CA, but even rainy WA State has been talking of drought the last few years. In 2015 the state declared a "drought emergency". Who knew?

It's all a harbinger of where the planet is headed, IMO.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM

367 posts, read 420,599 times
The most devastating (in terms of human losses) wildfires occurred in Northern Midwest, I believe, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, in the 19th century, with hundreds and thousands of victims.
This was before de-forestation of these states, when loggers just started to cut the forests down, during drought conditions; there were no evacuation and alert systems. One time, a train was able to evacuate 300 people who jumped into the lake from the train to shield themselves from fire....in these massive fires, trains had wheels melt and fuse with rails because of heat; fire tornados were so big, they sent railroad cars flying.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:10 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
In 1871, Wisconsin had the Peshtigo fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

One of the reasons some fires burn so hot in California is the abundance of eucalyptus trees as well. Although these aren't found in the mountains, there are a lot of them in the Bay Area and other places. The trees come from Australia and contain a natural oil that will explode the tree when it's exposed to fire. I personally love the eucalyptus trees, but I don't know that I'd have one in my yard.

People also underestimate how fast weeds and underbrush can grow. I bought a lot up here in the Puget Sound and it was cleared and stumped. Three years later the weeds were six feet tall - no kidding. Of course, up here we have a lot of rain, but a lot of natural underbrush, weeds, and plants in California are adapted to the dry climate and grow fast without a lot of water.

I also read where 80% of the fires that start in California are now caused by people in some way.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
The most devastating (in terms of human losses) wildfires occurred in Northern Midwest, I believe, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, in the 19th century, with hundreds and thousands of victims.
This was before de-forestation of these states, when loggers just started to cut the forests down, during drought conditions; there were no evacuation and alert systems. One time, a train was able to evacuate 300 people who jumped into the lake from the train to shield themselves from fire....in these massive fires, trains had wheels melt and fuse with rails because of heat; fire tornados were so big, they sent railroad cars flying.

Do you know the name of this event? Or the date?

Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 PM

367 posts, read 420,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Do you know the name of this event? Or the date?
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...n-worst-fires/

Worst fires:
Peshtigo fire - WI, MI
The Great Michigan fire - MI
Hinckley fire - MN
Cloquet fire - MN

Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
I thought Governor Brown stated last year that the drought in California was over. Governor Brown did veto a bill in 2016 that would require California Public Utilities Commission to mandate that all public utilities in California inspect all of their power lines for wildfire hazard and to ensure that they are safe. We know now that the Camp Fire in Butte County was caused by power lines. So maybe if Moonbeam Brown hadn't vetoed the bill this fire would not have happened, but Governor Brown is working on another agenda called climate change, to him all these fires are proof that man made climate change is here to stay, so any fire any where is due to man made climate change, the Governor is a real dips***.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I thought Governor Brown stated last year that the drought in California was over. Governor Brown did veto a bill in 2016 that would require California Public Utilities Commission to mandate that all public utilities in California inspect all of their power lines for wildfire hazard and to ensure that they are safe. .
He declared the drought emergency over, but said that the next drought may be "just around the corner". Which it was. You do understand what the drought emergency was all about, right?

Regarding the bill, Snopes says:

"What's False
There is no evidence that Brown's veto contributed to or exacerbated the risk or prevalence of wildfires in California, and the California Public Utilities Commission provided details showing that it had already been engaged in work similar to the proposals contained in SB 1463."

Seems to me that your partisan political bent is obstructing reality from your view.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,035,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
He declared the drought emergency over, but said that the next drought may be "just around the corner". Which it was. You do understand what the drought emergency was all about, right?

Regarding the bill, Snopes says:

"What's False
There is no evidence that Brown's veto contributed to or exacerbated the risk or prevalence of wildfires in California, and the California Public Utilities Commission provided details showing that it had already been engaged in work similar to the proposals contained in SB 1463."

Seems to me that your partisan political bent is obstructing reality from your view.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/...ldfire-safety/

Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
just go hiking and you will see why wild fire is common. look at the grass, shrubs. fallen trees/branches..they are all dead and dry..

when we bought a house 5 years ago, the grass i cut i dumped it in the orange tree..thinking it will decompose..silly me..they are still there..thats 5 years.. in the tropics, that grass would have been dirt by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California