Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Everyone who isn't lunatic fringe has left the GOP.
You're right about that.

Why aren't they leading a public break from the faction of Republican Party politics preferred by Stephen Bannon and Stephen Miller in favor of the model that more inclusive, anti-racist Republicans have advised the GOP to adopt for almost an entire generation, given that such advice was inspired by a demographic future that has already arrived here?

The GOP base is one answer. As the number of Republicans shrink, the primary voters who remain are more likely to be extreme partisans. And because so much of our politics is now nationalized, they watch Fox News and don't feel like political losers in need of a makeover. Their guy is in the White House, ostensibly making America great again.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...203-story.html

Old 12-04-2018, 07:44 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You can vote for politicians that favor or try to implement those laws.

ICE is not interacting daily with the everyday folk, police are. If they suspect someone of being illegal, they should be able to contact ICE so they can investigate, especially people that they are already investigating for other crimes. I don't understand why we want to give warm and fuzzies to illegals, should be the opposite. Makes zero sense.
You really aren’t answering the question. Those issues weren’t presented to voters as proposals to be passed. And now can you tell us who are politicians blocking the implementation of what laws you are referring to? As 2sleepy just noted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? Republicans had the opportunity to vote on mandatory e-verify in 2006, 2013, and 2018 and each time they refused to bring it to a vote, so who should I have voted for "accordingly"

Your second paragraph describes exactly why police chiefs around the nation, including many in red states and those with lots of illegals, support sanctuary status. Sanctuary policies aren’t giving any “warm fuzzies” to illegals. They encourage illegals to support local law enforcement.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh barf.

Never occurs to you that the majority of Californians have voted as we have because we don’t want to see the Party of Trump destroy our state.

The GOP is dead. Trump killed it. Californians didn’t.

Trump has no allegiances ... not to conservative ideology, not to common sense, not to any sort of human decency, not to truth, nor honesty or integrity.

He’s playing to the only base that will be fooled by his demagoguery. Fearful. Knee-jerk suckers. Read Eric Hoffer’s “The True Believer”, from back in the early 1950’s.

This isn’t a question of ideology. It’s psychology.
The party has been shrinking in the past 10 or so years: i don't think Trump had a lot to do with any of this. and eventually, hopefully things will turn around.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
You really aren’t answering the question. Those issues weren’t presented to voters as proposals to be passed. And now can you tell us who are politicians blocking the implementation of what laws you are referring to? As 2sleepy just noted:

Your second paragraph describes exactly why police chiefs around the nation, including many in red states and those with lots of illegals, support sanctuary status. Sanctuary policies aren’t giving any “warm fuzzies” to illegals. They encourage illegals to support local law enforcement.
Ok, are you indirectly voting accordingly? For the politicians that favor everify, against illegal immigration, etc.

And sherrifs oppose it. It's the perfect opportunity to capture (and deport) illegals, when they are already under arrest or being investigated.

You want to fight crime by supporting illegal people. Ok:

Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The party has been shrinking in the past 10 or so years: i don't think Trump had a lot to do with any of this. and eventually, hopefully things will turn around.
I think Trump had quite a bit to do with 7 Republican house members in California losing their seats. They hitched their wagon to Trump and he took them for a ride. Even conservative voters in California did not like Trump's tax bill, the attempt to kill the ACA, climate change denial and Trump's promise to drill off of California beaches.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Maybe some day the people will get fed up with constantly increasing taxes and start to vote republican.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Ok, are you indirectly voting accordingly? For the politicians that favor everify, against illegal immigration, etc.

And sherrifs oppose it. It's the perfect opportunity to capture (and deport) illegals, when they are already under arrest or being investigated.

You want to fight crime by supporting illegal people. Ok:
Present me with a specific issue and I’ll vote “accordingly” every time. Present me with a lying, cheating, narcissist, career demagogue politician who may attach him/herself to an issue to play to his/her base for votes, no ... I won’t vote for low character individuals who happen to support one or a couple programs I agree with. Character is the first criteria in supporting any individual candidate. High qualities of character allow diverse viewpoints to be fairly presented, discussed and negotiated.

Sherrifs are elected and play to their electorate base. Chiefs are appointed to get the job done.

I don’t “support illegal people” at all. Nor do I support fear of reporting crime.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, Trump has helped to intensify the decline of the CA GOP. Kevin McCarthy hitched his wagon to Trump to curry favor with him to back policies that many of his fellow CA House reps would have to answer for. He was successful in the latter, he succeeds Ryan as the leader of the House GOP, but in a minority position. Way to go, Kevin!

Things will turn around for the California GOP if they stop backing Trumpian policies that are unpopular with the electorate. It's not rocket science.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Present me with a specific issue and I’ll vote “accordingly” every time. Present me with a lying, cheating, narcissist, career demagogue politician who may attach him/herself to an issue to play to his/her base for votes, no ... I won’t vote for low character individuals who happen to support one or a couple programs I agree with. Character is the first criteria in supporting any individual candidate. High qualities of character allow diverse viewpoints to be fairly presented, discussed and negotiated.

Sherrifs are elected and play to their electorate base. Chiefs are appointed to get the job done.

I don’t “support illegal people” at all. Nor do I support fear of reporting crime.
You just described CA democrats to a tee.

The people that vote vs a politician (see above).

Or local LE reporting illegals (people that broke the law) to the proper authorities apparently.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You just described CA democrats to a tee.

The people that vote vs a politician (see above).

Or local LE reporting illegals (people that broke the law) to the proper authorities apparently.
I just described most politicians, yes. Any party, yes. Not all. Just more than not.

Have no idea what your second sentence refers to, so can’t respond.

Local LE reporting illegals shuts off communication between the immigrant communities (both legal and illegals) and LE. That results in less (far less) LE ability to identify criminals and cull them out. It’s not a political, ideological issue ... much as you, and many others here love to label everything and foster polarization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California