Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,483 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. It is the only forum that I've been able to find that has any useful information about auto registration issues....
I'm buying a new car. It will be ready for delivery, they say, between December 20 and December 31, 2018. I plan on trading in my old car, though I might sell it to a Carmax-type place. It all depends on what the dealer offers me for the old car.
My old car's registration expires on December 16th, and to renew it will cost $214.
I'm guessing that, if I renew the registration, that money pretty-much will go down the drain to the CA DMV. I don't think there is such a thing as "transferring registration" to a new car, but I haven't been able to confirm that through Internet searching, and when I tried to call the CA DMV I was told the wait time to talk to someone was between an hour and 20 minutes and two hours.
Any input?
Sell the car before the 16th?
Maybe there's a grace period on registration?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 03:53 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
So you've committed to a new car but a trade-in deal wasn't part of it? The dealer will lowball you to the max if you try and make a deal now. Sell private or to Carmax or whatever, and do it now - and rent something to get by. You should be able to get transportation for $100-150 a week. Talk to your dealership about a low-cost rental since you've already given them the business.

You're right in that a paid registration is not normally refundable. It would in theory be an asset to another California buyer - I think. They would have to pay various fees, but keep the period of paid registration. Letting the registration expire would not be a huge deal - the late fees are trivial on a $200 tag - but it might put off a private buyer.

Can't hurt to call the DMV info line and ask what your options might be.

And think through your next $50k financial move in advance.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Anyone buying will drop their price to cover the cost of registration. Even carmax will take that into accounting when making a offer

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Forget it Jake, its California.

You're screwed no matter what you do. I'm not in California, but I know that the plates follow the car there. I would do a "Non-Op" on it and take my chances driving it a couple weeks till you get your new car. But that's me.

Wouldn't be a Subaru WRX, would it? I'm looking for one... and I'm out of state. Expired plates and back fees mean nothing to me.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Forget it Jake, its California.

You're screwed no matter what you do. I'm not in California, but I know that the plates follow the car there. I would do a "Non-Op" on it and take my chances driving it a couple weeks till you get your new car. But that's me.

Wouldn't be a Subaru WRX, would it? I'm looking for one... and I'm out of state. Expired plates and back fees mean nothing to me.
You’re giving some really bad advice.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...ne/vrir/faqpno
If a registered non-operational vehicle is driven or parked where it is subject to getting a ticket, then the full registration fees and penalties for that year of registration become due.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:31 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Explain to the dealer what's going with your current vehicle,
they might have an idea

I would have a few but after all it's California

Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 AM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
Agree with Electrician For You, going Non-Op (In CA it's called PNO - Planned Non Operation). In the high likelihood you get caught driving it, it will get towed almost immediately under a CVC section known as 22651(o)(1) - Unregistered vehicle. The form to do this, a CHP-180, is very easy to fill out and so no street cop will think, "Ahhh - forget it, I'm going to get coffee."

What you might consider, is getting a temporary registration good through January 2019. That is the red/white square sticker you see in the back windows sometimes with a big number on it, in this case "1" for January.

That way you are still driving a registered vehicle, and it will be transacted with current registration. However, the caveat is that a buyer with ANY kind of savvy will realize the reg is soon due and will factor that into the price they offer you for the car.

Hope this helps.

EDJ

Old 12-08-2018, 10:17 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
Interesting answers, all, with varying shades of accuracy.

So here it is:

You can't be pulled over or ticketed within the first 30-days expired ("the check is in the mail" concept), so driving your car until you sell it is fine.

When you sell your car, it will be as an expired vehicle, and the new buyer will be hit with the penalties along with the renewal. That could affect how much money the dealer wants to give you--maybe not by much, but possibly a consideration.

No, you can't get a temporary op (red sticker.) You'd need to pay ALL fees due to get that.

No, you can't file Non-Operation in order to drive it for free. The downsides of that would be worse than just renewing the car.

Bottom line: Logically, the dealer is going to subtract the $214 from your trade-in value, plus possibly the penalties, so you might not come out ahead.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Do it the easy way, and just trade it in. That way, you don't have to worry about getting it registered.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 AM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
Do you need the car after the 16th? If no, then sell it. If yes, then pay the registration. It's really that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California