Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:44 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,064,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You are sure, based on what? Because it sure isn’t knowledge of welfare systems, eligibilities, payouts, requirements, time limits, causes and ratios of homelessness (example? ... per capita, Wash. D.C. is #1, New York is #2, Hawaii is #3, Oregon is #4, California is #5, ... very closely followed by Massachusetts and Washington ...), ...
Number 5...we are catching up. “Winning”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,423,798 times
It is up to the citizens of California to voice their concerns. French people, the yellow vest crowd movement, just made their case against government tax hike now.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 AM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Or will will just keep voting in more? Common sense would say that at some point in time people would say, enough is enough.

But that doesn't seem to be the case?

What say you?

Tax the rich, feed the poor, 'til there are no rich no more.

I'd love to change the world...
As I understand it, the main problem is the burden of state worker pensions. This is why Brown said the courts need to allow the state to dial back existing contractual benefits, to say nothing of renegotiating benefits of currently-employed workers. The pension burden is a bottomless pit one can keep shoveling any amount of tax money into, endlessly, as the boomer generation continues to retire.

"Feeding the poor" has nothing to do with it. Brown eliminated a huge budget deficit, by raising state capital gains tax. That was a deft move, I thought. But then he realized, that there was a leak in the budget ****, which was state pensions.

Now The Gav will have to deal with it. Frankly, I think Jerr would have had a better shot at fixing it, if he could have worked out an option regarding pension contracts.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm rich, I don't want to feed poor. Here's an idea that's just crazy enough to work, let them stay in school, stay off drugs, get a job, and feed themselves?

Didn't Jesus say, teach a man to fly fish, and he'll spend all his money on a 5wt fly rod? Or something like that?
Straw man argument. The state budget is about infrastructure, schools, universities, transit, court systems, roads, the DMV, law enforcement, state parks, prisons, etc. etc. The state parks have already faced cutbacks (as have federal parks), would you move to close schools and overcrowd students into the remaining schools? University budgets have already been slashed many times over; do you not support education, as a Jew, or as a Californian, or as a human? How are "the poor" to stay in school, if you cut school and university budgets, shifting the funding burden to students' tuition?

Would you prefer longer lines at the DMV? Would you vote for even more delay in bringing criminals to justice, or would you support early release of even more offenders?

Or perhaps you'd like to slash the CalFire budget?

These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,258,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Straw man argument. The state budget is about infrastructure, schools, universities, transit, court systems, roads, the DMV, law enforcement, state parks, prisons, etc. etc. The state parks have already faced cutbacks (as have federal parks), would you move to close schools and overcrowd students into the remaining schools? University budgets have already been slashed many times over; do you not support education, as a Jew, or as a Californian, or as a human? How are "the poor" to stay in school, if you cut school and university budgets, shifting the funding burden to students' tuition?

Would you prefer longer lines at the DMV? Would you vote for even more delay in bringing criminals to justice, or would you support early release of even more offenders?

Or perhaps you'd like to slash the CalFire budget?

These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.
In other words there is no solution.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If people leave in large numbers, the taxes will not go down. They will go up as the State costs go up and ... those remaining will pay even more as the Middle Class will shrink even more and the burden will be on the Upper Middle class, who will then ... start running out of money to pay the taxes.

Taxes were not meant to push anyone out. They are meant to take as much as they can get from anyone living in the State.
Or, maybe not. So far it's been people earning less than 50k who are leaving, if we assume that a fair number of them earn under 30k they are likely receiving some benefits. If they go the State will be money ahead and it could possibly lead to lower taxes.

But I think it's a little silly to even speculate about large numbers of people leaving the state, I just don't see it. Unlike some people in this thread there a plenty of people who are not wealthy and are doing very nicely here.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 PM

716 posts, read 533,390 times
i say yes slash them all- and while you are add it stop feeding, housing, teaching, housing and providing to the millions of illegals

Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,258,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Or, maybe not. So far it's been people earning less than 50k who are leaving, if we assume that a fair number of them earn under 30k they are likely receiving some benefits. If they go the State will be money ahead and it could possibly lead to lower taxes.

But I think it's a little silly to even speculate about large numbers of people leaving the state, I just don't see it. Unlike some people in this thread there a plenty of people who are not wealthy and are doing very nicely here.
The benefits for the "poor" come from somewhere and that will go up as the middle class moves out. Remember more people move to other States than move into CA from other States. Birth is the major growth factor and then immigration. Not all immigrants are wealthy or even have a decent income and others buying homes are not CA residents as they buy them for their children to live in while at schools, so no income tax on the owners either. I know quite a few, including myself, making 6 figure salaries who have moved out. That dropped the tax receipts. They are still going up, but so are taxes and fees (Really another name for a tax). The biggest "poor" issue is the poor use of tax and fee receipts.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In other words there is no solution.
Unless something can be done about state pensions, as JER-RY! had searched for solutions for. That would help bring the budget under control. CA's going to have to figure out how to save money somewhere, because in coming years, that savings will be needed for disaster relief, for an increasing number of disasters.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:26 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,718,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
California is the FIFTH largest economy in the world. The contribute more to the US than many states. Seems they are doing OK.
And the only people that are doing ok are the illegal immigrants who receives a boatload of benefits from the government or people like Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, Elon Musk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California