Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:30 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Absolutely.

Another Let's-Bash-California thread....once again started by someone who doesn't live here. It's interesting that a resident of Montana as well as a recently departed Californian (threads merged) care enough about California that they must weigh in on their dislike of this state.
The leading cast of characters is always pretty predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
The leading cast of characters is always pretty predictable.
As are the ones who can't admit the truth about the inept Gov.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:48 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And while we are on the subject, if some 18 year old asked me about whether to go to college, I’d say sure if you are ok with $80,000 of student debt and have a 40% chance of not finding a job in your field. I’d suggest looking at the trades. You will end up with a few $1000 in costs and can find work easily. Make good money. My auto mechanic owns four houses and has successfully raised three kids. We’re talking CA. He is always smiling and only works 40 hours a week. For the record my wife and I are college grads.

A person with a 9th education can become a plumber, electrician, mechanic and make $80,000 a year and have next to nothing in student debt
Roger that

Old 12-21-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I agree with that but think everyone should get a high school diploma. It will give the average person a basic knowledge they can build on. I think most trade schools require it too
Most, if not all, basic, foundational skills acquired through education, are acquired in elementary school. Definitely by 9th grade. After that there is plenty more available to learn ... but mostly all can be “learned” many ways, including ‘on the job.’

If a person’s objective is an education - let alone personal skills of behavior and character - prescriptive schooling past elementary / middle-school is not a very stimulating or efficient way to go about it.

If a person’s objective is to compete for a job with the kind of employer who prescriptively requires a diploma - well, obviously, you need to go about getting your diploma ... which is not necessarily (and often not) the same as becoming truly educated.

Both my sons work (very successfully) in the building trades. They both have high school diplomas. But those diplomas were not required for them to be hired and trained.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:00 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Were also #1 in poverty, homeless, welfare recipients, food stamps.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Defending the situation is ridiculous and it sure seems like some on this thread are doing just that. People with a 9th grade education can't even join the military. Options are few for them unless they open their own business, a difficult endeavor. So yes, they need a high school diploma.
Who’s “defending the situation” of the OP? I, for one, am not “defending”. I am pointing out the specious vacuousness of the OP intent. This intent of thread is clearly implying that, not only California is failing to educate its youth, but that prescriptive, formal, contemporary education is somehow a measure of education. It’s not. And, as Andy Chrono pointed out, even the dig at the state failing to educate its youth relative to other states, is specious bullcrap. The disparities are clearly rooted in the immigrant numbers.

As for joining the military, why are you presenting that as if it is a low-tier professional option? The military has far more personnel in technical, medical, IT, intelligence, cyber, and business-like support roles than in boots-on-the-ground type combat arms ... and becoming more technical every year.

Still, one of the very wealthy individuals I met some years back was a fellow who dropped out of school in the 8th grade. Scrappy kid back then he started working after a couple years as a roofer in Southern California. Over some years he opened his own roofing company as he had a good demeanor with customers, excellent trade skills, a good head for numbers, a personality type for management. By the time I met him he was retiring with ocean view OC home, his own airplane, and condos in Sitka for salmon fishing season, Sun Valley for ski season. So no, not everybody needs a high school diploma to get ahead in life.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Deleted

I should have picked a more subjective thread to make my point.

Last edited by RMESMH; 12-21-2018 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Deleted

Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I may; not be a lover of Ca anymore but I find this hard to believe. The only explanation would be the number of illegals. Even then where are all these uneducated people living, working or existing period?

Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The resident of Montana is also a former resident of California.

The dismay/disgruntlement/annoyance...however one wants to put it, that you and similar others express re criticism of California can only have one root...insecurity. Some form of insecurity re the state that you don't realize is present, or won't admit to, or some personal insecurity that isn't connected to the state. If you and like others were truly as confident, assured, etc. about California as you try to portray, you wouldn't care one whit whether someone criticized the state or not. You would ignore the criticism, and laugh to yourselves.

This thread is a bit different though, boiling more down to bare statistics than some others. However, defensiveness about which statistics matter is definitely part of this thread.
Load of crap. City Data Forum’s purpose is, above all other things such as amusement, to provide a wide range of information, both statistical and anecdotal, about places. Sustained bit*hing and attacks - especially made without solid, well evaluated data - contributed by disgruntled persons with agendas to deprecate, defeat the point of the venue ... unless balanced with corrective contributions.

There is an old saying that “statistics lie.” Well, no, they don’t. People lie by mis-using statistics speciously. This thread is a case in point of that truth.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM

872 posts, read 596,088 times
The number of uneducated and those that did not finish high school is directly proportional to the number that vote for free everything/ nanny state agenda policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California