Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Among my middle class friends? About two years ago. So far five families we know have left the state for greener pastures.
That’s great news! You’ll be joining them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
some 10k are in Tijuana raring to rush in.

they dont care that a 1-bd apartment is close to $2k a month.

hhhmmmm..they might know something we dont
They know that 10 of their people can easily live in a 1 bedroom apartment. I've seen it. So an illegal paying $200 a month for rent making $8.00 an hour is sitting fat and happy. Maybe get that eye roll checked out by a doctor. It's distorting you vision of reality.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Are these greener pastures in either Arizona,Nevada or Texas???? Because it seems like a lot of Ex-Californian's flock to those places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Among my middle class friends? About two years ago. So far five families we know have left the state for greener pastures.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Moving in - welfare mooches, illegal aliens, low-wage do-nothings, and a sprinkling of techies who "gentrify" neighborhoods and make those who love to cheer California cry.

Moving out - jobs, employers, working taxpayers, tax revenue.
Not exactly. Those who are moving in are generally the upper middle class and upper classes.

The low-wage "do nothings" are basically moving to Arizona, Idaho and Nevada.

Something, completely anecdotal, that I've noticed:

If you're a low-wage earner who leans Democrat, you move to Nevada or Oregon.
If you're a low-wage earner who leans Republican, you move to Arizona or Texas

Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
This just in ..... A story featured on KCRA news this morning ... According to a poll, taken by a national moving company, more people are leaving California than moving in. BUT, the number of people moving in are younger and make more money. Also, the states where people are moving to include Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona.

I didn't catch the name of the moving company who did the poll and I've searched for it online without much luck. I don't know if it's true but it's good to see more young people making a good/decent living because that's the way it should be.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:36 AM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Just talking numbers here, but that's extremely low growth as a % and likely falls within margin of measurement error given the size of the illegal population.

As for the "out migration", that can't be discerned by a total number because the very poor (and the state has A LOT of those) can't move easily and neither can those more towards the true middle class especially if they live with other relatives, have family ties and so forth.

Therefore, out-migration due to taxation etc. is more of a middle class and above issue IF IT'S EVEN HAPPENING which I'm not commenting on because the OP's citation of overall population and resulting conclusion aren't useful in determining that.

With all that said, I live in KS and also Chicago once upon a time so I'm used to having places I live(d) targeted due to politics. That being said, what you guys do in CA is your business and you guys run that show and live with the good\bad that comes about. I can't tell you how many lies and half-truths are pushed up to the national level about KS so you have my sympathies and hopefully since you're now in the political hotseat you too can make sure you're not doing the same thing you don't like when it comes to other states.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 AM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This just in ..... A story featured on KCRA news this morning ... According to a poll, taken by a national moving company, more people are leaving California than moving in. BUT, the number of people moving in are younger and make more money. Also, the states where people are moving to include Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona.

I didn't catch the name of the moving company who did the poll and I've searched for it online without much luck. I don't know if it's true but it's good to see more young people making a good/decent living because that's the way it should be.
There are some huge biases into relying upon the moving company study. Starting with whom falls in the income bracket that would use that moving company.

For example, if you picked up another 100k illegals last year in the state, I doubt they used a moving company.

My friends kid just took a good paying tech job in CA right out of college and they moved what little the kid had in a van.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,068,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
This thread is about California. Of course other states have illegals and some large cities have problems with traffic but Ca. seems to lead the nation when it comes to all the issues I mentioned earlier.

I can't move here because I've been here my entire 58 years and seen the contract over those decades and things are much worse now. Fortunately I am moving out of Ca. just like millions already have.

Good luck.
Be careful when that door hits your rear on the way out.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are some huge biases into relying upon the moving company study. Starting with whom falls in the income bracket that would use that moving company.

For example, if you picked up another 100k illegals last year in the state, I doubt they used a moving company.

My friends kid just took a good paying tech job in CA right out of college and they moved what little the kid had in a van.
Boy oh boy, don't I know it. As with almost anything in the news these days, there's always an underlying motive. As for the report, it was noted that the number moving in were younger and had an income at or above 150K a year. I think that's wonderful. Maybe some have sour grapes about that but I always wanted my children to do better than I did, financially. Just as my parents wanted their children to do the same. So whatever the truth is, it remains to be seen. If people are moving in, the state can't be doing too badly. Any revenue is good revenue, in my book.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It's not weird. It's funny how you have a selective memory-old age perhaps? I have posted my reasons on why I myself post in California forums which were perfectly valid reasons, yet you can't accept them because they actually make sense.
I do know you obsess over my posts because you love to complain about them that they are negative, yet you have never responded about any of my positive California Posts-blinders? Bored because you have nothing to do in the foothills? For some reason it bothers you so much that you start posts that moderators delete because they know your intentions.

I seriously doubt your sincerity that you are sorry California didn't work out for me-so you can stop trying to look like a good guy here. I'm sure it works for you and your friends because I am sure your intolerance of other people's viewpoints that don't agree with yours despite the fact they can back it up makes it so you would never be friends with anyone else. So that's why it works for all your friends.

The fact that you requested that posters like me and others that look at California objectively not be allowed to post in the California forums says a lot about the type of person you are.
While I may post things you don't agree with and you are free to do so too with your opinion, I have also posted things in the California forums helping people looking to relocate here or move to an area I am familiar with. I know the schools, the traffic, amenities, housing values, neighborhood trends, etc. Things that are relevant because I have lived in those areas personally. Things that I would want a good friend to reveal to me good or bad if I was making a big decision. Can you do the same about the Bay Area? No, I don't think so.

If I and others you dislike weren't allowed to post, people would get a skewed view of that area or even worse some babble about it from you when you have never lived in that city before. If anything you make the reputation of Californians as liberal and accepting quite the opposite.
Anyone who wants to make an intelligent decision wants the pros and cons. not just the pros only as you would have.

I joined CD to learn about other areas in the country to invest in. I am thankful that people like you didn't exist on other forums and people could speak their opinions. Someone like you who got their way of bullying by censoring others by either getting mods to change policies or just plain posting like you do sometimes would have really hurt my learning.

Of course it's been said before, if you don't like what some people say, stay off the internet-you can't handle it.
Or skip those threads.
Or put me and others on ignore.
You have all those options so use them.
sorry I struck a nerve. It must have taken you a half hour to compose that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California