Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:29 AM

103 posts, read 167,690 times

Advertisements

Looking to see what others have done. I currently live in the central valley with my wife and 3 kids. We have been thinking a lot lately about possibly moving to another city/state. We are mainly looking to move due to lack of many things here in the Central Valley. There is not a lot to do, which causes teens here to either get pregnant or be in gangs, so we want to give our kids the best chance of succeeding in life. At the same time, there is not a lot to do even for adults. Some of the states we have looked at have been Utah, Colorado, and Washington. Weather wise, we know nothing beats CA weather, but we are ok with a little bit of cold/snow so long as it is short and not months and months of it. Job wise there is not an issue, as I can live anywhere with my current job, but would like to be somewhat close to an airport, maybe less than 1 hour away. Have you moved out? If so where and why, and how do you like it and do you regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 12:55 PM

234 posts, read 303,465 times
What exactly is it that you guys like to do or are missing in the Central Valley?

Old 12-23-2018, 12:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixa241 View Post
Looking to see what others have done. I currently live in the central valley with my wife and 3 kids. We have been thinking a lot lately about possibly moving to another city/state. We are mainly looking to move due to lack of many things here in the Central Valley. There is not a lot to do, which causes teens here to either get pregnant or be in gangs, so we want to give our kids the best chance of succeeding in life. At the same time, there is not a lot to do even for adults. Some of the states we have looked at have been Utah, Colorado, and Washington. Weather wise, we know nothing beats CA weather, but we are ok with a little bit of cold/snow so long as it is short and not months and months of it. Job wise there is not an issue, as I can live anywhere with my current job, but would like to be somewhat close to an airport, maybe less than 1 hour away. Have you moved out? If so where and why, and how do you like it and do you regret it?
I moved out of NE Kern County (the Mojave Desert portion) 11.5 years ago (I grew up in SoCal). I have spent the majority of that 11.5 years in Colorado (Denver), but have also lived in Washington (Spokane; I also spent time growing up in Seattle).

If you need to be near an airport, Denver can't be beat. The airport here is one of the best in the country, and goes most everywhere without the need for transfers. You will never run out of things to do. Denver *can* get snow any time between October and May, but it melts in between storms. For example, it's two days before Christmas, we haven't had any snow for 3.5 weeks, we have bright sunshine and a temp in the mid-40's. Having a day like this during winter is more likely than being buried in snow (though that happens too). The local economy is on absolute fire, but starter homes in average neighborhoods run about $360K. Traffic is getting worse every year, and there is a pretty strong anti-transplant sentiment fuming off of some of the natives, but overall the quality of life is very high, if not a bit expensive. I moved here, and do not regret it.

I'd also suggest you look at Colorado Springs. It has its own very easy airport that goes to most hub locations (LAX, ORD, DFW, etc), and Denver's airport is only 1.5 hours away. Think of it as a cleaner/more prosperous Fresno butted up against the mountains, throw in world-class outdoor recreation, relatively affordable housing (starter homes in average neighborhoods run about $260K), and an awesome mountain view, and you've got Colorado Springs. Winters are milder than Denver's, but COS' summers are more prone to severe T-storms during summer (Denver gets those too, but not as often). The economy is strong right now, but it is prone to wilder swings because its economy isn't very diversified (mostly defense, some IT). Traffic is a breeze for the most part (there are some very congested parts of Academy Blvd) and there's a ton to do if you like being outside (you can add in what Denver's got too, because that's an easy day trip). Drawbacks would include crime, city government (they can't keep potholes filled or street lights on), and it has an overly conservative/libertarian/religious bent which some can find to be too much.

I do not recommend Seattle if you want a better overall life for your family. Yes, you will have a ton to do, but you will pay way more for it than you should. Starter homes in average neighborhoods run at about $430K, and that will likely include a very long commute to jobs and activities. The airport is excellent (especially for international destinations), but doesn't quite have the overall convenience of Denver's airport. The weather is decidedly awful for 9 months (overcast/cold/rain), but is heaven on earth for the other three. The scenery is about unmatched in the nation when it is clear. The economy is very strong, and jobs pay very well. Traffic is absolutely horrendous, and even going 9 miles or so could take over an hour during rush hour. Homelessness is on a complete other level, and no solution seems to be in sight (to be honest, all the cities I mention here have problems with it, but not like Seattle). Some people find the people to be a bit off (trouble making lasting relationships/friends, otherwise known as the Seattle Freeze), and some find the overwhelmingly liberal politics to be suffocating/annoying.

Spokane is another place you could look. It has an airport, but its destinations are limited to hubs and other cities in the west (it does have Southwest). It is among the easiest airports that I've ever flown out of (I go there 1-2x a year). It also boasts plenty of outdoor recreation, and is in a beautiful setting of hills, mountains, and forest. A rapid-heavy river runs through town, and there is an awesome waterfall IN downtown. It gets some concerts, shows, has minor league baseball and hockey, as well as college basketball and football. The entertainment will generally be at a lower, more quaint level than you can find in larger cities. The weather is decidedly seasonal, and gets all four seasons in heavy doses (harsh winters, HOT summers). The economy is usually stagnant/slow, but it supports a large area and is almost entirely service based (it has seen some growth as of late, but I don't expect it to last). Starter homes run about $200K. There's virtually no traffic (N Division can be bad, but it's really nothing), but there is a pretty high level of crime and an almost general sense of stagnation/lack of ambition overall (though the people are beyond AWESOME overall). Out of the 4 cities I've mentioned, Spokane nonetheless remains my favorite, because it has charms I've yet to find anywhere else.

Last edited by Count David; 12-23-2018 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
I'm curious, whereabouts in the Central Valley do you live? I'm originally from So Cal and moved to Visalia in 1992 where I lived for nearly 12 years. Even though my experience living in Visalia was fairly positive, I came to a time in my life and career 15 years ago that I needed to be in a larger metro area but not as large as L.A., for instance. I was shooting for the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle) but ended up settling in Sacramento. Have you considered the Sacramento region? The area has more to offer in terms of activities for the whole family as well as good airline service from Sacramento International Airport.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
I think they want to live in a snowy climate...He mentioned Utah,Colorado and Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
What exactly is it that you guys like to do or are missing in the Central Valley?

Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I'm curious, whereabouts in the Central Valley do you live? I'm originally from So Cal and moved to Visalia in 1992 where I lived for nearly 12 years. Even though my experience living in Visalia was fairly positive, I came to a time in my life and career 15 years ago that I needed to be in a larger metro area but not as large as L.A., for instance. I was shooting for the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle) but ended up settling in Sacramento. Have you considered the Sacramento region? The area has more to offer in terms of activities for the whole family as well as good airline service from Sacramento International Airport.
I actually am in Visalia. My sister actually goes to school in Sacramento, and that is definitely a consideration, but I am sure COL and housing is pretty high in that area.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
There are a few things. 1. The insane amounts of dust that comes through. We can wash down our front and back yards and wash our cars, and the next day its full of dust like we did not do anything. 2. There are not that many activities/events that go on around here. For anything exciting we have to drive at least an hour away for both kids and adults. 3. We feel like just trying something new.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Quote:
I actually am in Visalia. My sister actually goes to school in Sacramento, and that is definitely a consideration, but I am sure COL and housing is pretty high in that area.
No worse than Seattle, Denver or SLC (and it sounds like you're considering those). Also, I find it a big stretch that one's children getting pregnant or in gangs can be blamed on Visalia or the Central Valley. Millions have grown up there just fine.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
This webpage offers suggestions on what to consider before making a move:
https://www.moneycrashers.com/where-...e-best-places/
It mentions using city-data's database, as well.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:24 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
Quote:
Interesting. The COL in Sacramento would be higher than Visalia but lower than the Bay Area and the Pacific Northwest. Of course it would vary depending on the location such as urban vs suburban vs exurban. What part of Visalia do you live? I lived in SW Visalia near Akers and Tulare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California