Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,907 times

Advertisements

I live in Dallas, Texas. My parents live in San Francisco, and the holidays to me mean flying to my family and stay there till the first week of January. I've been doing this since 2012.

Every year, while in San Francisco, I try to take a short trip by myself to the surroundings areas. I've been to many places in California. I enjoyed my time at Eureka last year. However, I didn't have time to visit the avenue of the giants at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, I am heading there this year, I really want to see it. I also would like to see the Lost Coast.

I will be heading to the avenue of the giants from San Francisco Wednesday morning, 1/2/2019. Will spend the day there, and then go to Eureka to spend the night.

On Thursday, 1/3/2019, I will drive to the Lost Coast. I won't hike or something, I am fancy taking pictures and see new places, that's all.

Any recommendations where to spend the second night at? I've been to every single (worth visited) place in Eureka, so won't go back. Last year I drove from Eureka to California-Oregon state line, won't do that this time.

I would like to spend the second night in a city/town in between to make going back to San Francisco shorter.

If there are new places, I might spend one more night and go back to San Francisco on Saturday 1/5/2018.

Happy Holidays people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 11:46 AM

102,440 posts, read 108,851,375 times
You plan to spend the night around Avenue of the Giants, then start a leisurely scenic drive back toward the Bay Area, along the coast with a stopover, for a second night?

Fort Bragg, for the stopover. Or Mendocino, a little further south.
https://www.fortbragg.com

There isn't a route that follows the entire coast. You'll have to go south from the Avenue to Leggett, where you can connect to Hwy 1 over to the coast and south to Fort Bragg. Technically, that far south, it's no longer the Lost Coast, but it's still a beautiful drive. Some of the Lost Coast isn't even accessible by road. Much of it's in Humboldt and Del Norte Counties, but you said you didn't want to go back to Humboldt (where Eureka is, but there's much more to Humboldt than just Eureka, for future reference).

Maybe next year, you could check out the coast of Humboldt and Del Norte. There are some interesting little communities in there, beautiful redwoods, fresh seafood, and other attractions.
https://www.visitcalifornia.com/attraction/lost-coast

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-30-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,907 times
Thanks Ruth. You made me wanna rethink about it. If there are good things near Eureka, then why not spending another night there. Have you been there yet? The attached URL is cool. I'd rather hear from people who'd been there because I don't always trust the brochures.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 PM

I haven't been up there yet, but I've been exploring the area online. I'm intrigues by the little town of Trinidad, which, for a tiny town north of Arcata, on the coast, has a surprising number of cultural institutions: a museum, an art gallery, an arts center that hosts a variety of community events, along with a couple of tribal restaurants serving fresh seafood. I've also been looking at Blue Lake, where there's a tribe doing some innovating environmental projects. They run their buses and offices off of alternative energy sources they operate.

I wouldn't stay in Eureka again, if I were you; try Ferndale, which has a lot of Victorian architecture, and no homelessness issues, I'm told. There's a lot in the area to explore; I'm sure some of our residents up there will chime in.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,082,211 times
If you're looking for closer to SF for things to see, there are plenty of choices.
Getting to Shelter Cove is a bit of a PITA and, unless you're there for the long hike south, I wouldn't do all that driving for the few photos you'd take there.

The coast north of SF through Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino counties is something not to be missed. (I don't know if you've already explored the coast here)

I like hiking and lighthouses, so my recommendation would be to combine the two. If you were to make an itinerary to stop at the lighthouses at Point Bonita, Point Arena, and Point Cabrillo, and do one or more of the hikes around these, you'd really see some spectacular scenery.

There's live music on weekend afternoons in Fort Bragg, under the harbor bridge (Django's).
Mendocino is touristy on weekends, but still a must-see when you're in the area.

Mendocino Land Trust has a website for coastal trails, and there are other websites to fill in for trail in Marin and Sonoma, as well.
Lots of redwoods on route 128 just several miles inland from Hwy 1. There's also a really neat swimming hole on the Navarro River with its own beach and usually has very clear water. You won't be swimming there in January, but it's still a scenic spot hidden in the redwoods.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Mendocino Land Trust has a website for coastal trails, and there are other websites to fill in for trail in Marin and Sonoma, as well.
This reminds me; there's a wonderful botanical garden in the Fort Bragg/Mondocino area, overlooking the ocean. It features a wealth of local and regional plants. Who knew we had so much cool, interesting, beautiful flora native to the region? This being winter, though, you won't see blooms. Come back sometime in the spring or summer.
https://www.gardenbythesea.org

Old 12-31-2018, 09:51 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,545,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This reminds me; there's a wonderful botanical garden in the Fort Bragg/Mondocino area, overlooking the ocean. It features a wealth of local and regional plants. Who knew we had so much cool, interesting, beautiful flora native to the region? This being winter, though, you won't see blooms. Come back sometime in the spring or summer.
I love the Mendocino Botanical Garden. We've gone a couple of times, including this past March. It was a gorgeous day weather-wise and we saw a bunch of whales as we sat on the bluff overlooking the ocean. Highly recommended and way better than the Humboldt Botanical Garden.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
I love the Mendocino Botanical Garden. We've gone a couple of times, including this past March. It was a gorgeous day weather-wise and we saw a bunch of whales as we sat on the bluff overlooking the ocean. Highly recommended and way better than the Humboldt Botanical Garden.
Any other suggestions for the OP, on what to see, either in Humboldt, or Mendocino coast? You're our go-to guy, Mann!

Note to self: "Mendocino Botanical Garden, March, for whales"

Happy New Year, btw.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 AM

3,495 posts, read 5,322,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard great things about this place! Actually, camellias should be in peak bloom as per the website (late fall through early spring), and as per my experience in the Bay Area (my parents' camellias are in full bloom now). One of the few winter blooming flowers. Australian tee tree should also be in bloom.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,724,827 times
I will agree that Shelter Cove is not worth the hassle. It's really tiny, and just butts up against a steep hill. There isn't much beach to speak of at all. To me, it felt like one big wave would just wash you away. A really thin beach area, right up against a steep hill, next to the ocean. I just felt almost afraid of the ocean there.

That said, I stayed at a hotel there with my daughter years ago to check it out, and the hotel was right on the water. Literally. Which was kind of fun and kind of scary.

The locals were friendly and I remember having a decent breakfast at the local restaurant next to the little gas station. The hotel owners were really friendly and it has it's own restaurant in a separate building which was pricey, but good.

The drive from the main highway to Shelter Cove, though, is (or was at the time I went) just a two-lane road with lots of hairpin turns. We happened to get there after dark and it was white-knuckle. If you go there, I highly suggest getting there before dark. The drive is really pretty, but we're talking a seriously dramamine-required driving experience if you are prone to car-sickness at all.

All in all, it wasn't worth the trip. I wouldn't do it again. I went because I was amazed at how cheap ocean-view property was there and had to check it out for myself. That was the beginning of my education regarding how there is affordable ocean-front property in CA, because nobody wants to live there lol. All of CA ain't warm and sunny or convenient.

I'll leave others to suggest places to go on your list, OP. I'm just really no longer interested in traveling in no-man's land in CA anymore. Been there. But, I think it's good for people to see that so much of CA is still wilderness without cell phone reception. And speaking of that - take a battery pack with you for your phone, and know that Verizon is the only provider with decent coverage up there. And enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California