Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 4,135 times

Advertisements

I've got family in both places and I've gotta say that Sacramento is hands down better than Bakersfield. And it's not close at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulljumps View Post
I've got family in both places and I've gotta say that Sacramento is hands down better than Bakersfield. And it's not close at all.
As a city that is true. For those who love the Mountains both are good, for those who love the beach, Bakersfield is better, Just depends on what a person wants. Overall I prefer Sacramento as a city, but the beach is more important to me than a lot of other things. Everyone is different.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Just out of curiosity, I checked out Fresno last year. I didn't get the sense that the city was booming like Denver or Phoenix are.

I was thinking Fresno would strike me as "Sacramento on the cheap", but I didn't come away with that impression. Plus, too small of a city for me.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
As a city that is true. For those who love the Mountains both are good, for those who love the beach, Bakersfield is better, Just depends on what a person wants. Overall I prefer Sacramento as a city, but the beach is more important to me than a lot of other things. Everyone is different.
For me as a beach lover, Sacramento is much better. That's because I prefer NorCal beaches to SoCal every time. As Chim mentioned, Sacto is closer to beaches such as Pacifica at only 100 miles. And its 145 miles to Santa Cruz (Surf City) which seriously blows away any surfing beaches remotely close to Bakersfield including Malibu/Malizoo. I grew up surfing all those beaches, even Malibu at night. Ocean Beach, Half Moon Bay, etc... are all right there. They also have one of the best big waves spots in state which is Mavericks for those really serious about big wave riding.

Add to that beaches right in Sacramento on the lakes for lots of water sports such as swimming, kite surfing, wind surfing, paddleboarding, water skiing, etc... and there's much more to do for the whole family right in one's own backyard. Then add in the beaches of Lake Tahoe and that's a lot nearby not to mention better skiing/snowboarding. I know some beach folks scoff at mountain beaches. But until you actually go there and check 'em out you would be very surprised how nice they really are. We just took a trip to Tahoe this fall and the spent some time at one of the beaches. It was jaw droppingly beautiful with crystal clear water. The water reminds me of Tahiti which has similar crystal clear blue water. Bakersfield has nothing remotely close.

That said, I get that there are those who love SoCal beaches. I grew up there and know the appeal. So if given the choice they would still rather be 2+ hours away from a beach they are familiar with than in NorCal. But there are some of the most beautiful beaches in the state north of LA including those in Big Sur and around Santa Cruz with coastal redwoods all right there. So this is again going back to personal preferences including beaches.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-29-2019 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Bakersfield is also pretty close to the Central Coast beaches, Pismo, Avila, Montana De Oro, Moro Bay, Cayoucos.

I see the appeal of Sacramento and it probably is better than Bakersfield overall. I just found that one poster that questioned whether or not Bakersfield has breweries, nice restaurants, bike paths, Rivers, Lakes etc. to be completely out of touch.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 PM

234 posts, read 303,705 times
Bakersfield actually is lucky enough to not only be a 45 minute drive from Lake Isabella, but also roughly an hour from it’s own ski spot with Alta Sierra. Add in the Kern River and the Sequioa National Park and you’ve got a great group of options to go enjoy.

I personally prefer Sacramento simply because I am was born and raised in Northern California, and love that area of the state. But, Bakersfield and it’s surrounding areas have really surprised me over the last few years. I never really considered this central/interior area of California before, it’s really been a nice surprise.

Not to mention, Bakersfield is probably the city with the easiest drive to Death Valley not named Vegas. Again I’ll give the win to Sacramento, but these cities are much more similar than they are different.

Hell, Bako even has its own version of wine country nearby in Paso Robles. Not quite the name brand that Napa/Sonoma have, but people seem to consider Paso a significant wine region.

Last edited by JB316; 01-29-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Bakersfield is also pretty close to the Central Coast beaches, Pismo, Avila, Montana De Oro, Moro Bay, Cayoucos.

I see the appeal of Sacramento and it probably is better than Bakersfield overall. I just found that one poster that questioned whether or not Bakersfield has breweries, nice restaurants, bike paths, Rivers, Lakes etc. to be completely out of touch.
Yes, I would much rather go to those central CA beaches than anywhere LA south. I just find them more enjoyable, less crowded and more scenic. Montana De Oro is a really cool place.

Plus Bakersfield does have the Kern River and Lake Isabella ~ 1 hour away which is good for water skiing.

Derek

Old 01-30-2019, 06:37 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Hell, Bako even has its own version of wine country nearby in Paso Robles. Not quite the name brand that Napa/Sonoma have, but people seem to consider Paso a significant wine region.

Wine or not, that area is one of the most beautiful areas in all of California, IMO. The drive from Paso to the coast along highway 46 in springtime is just magical. I wish I could buy up all of the land along that stretch.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I would much rather go to those central CA beaches than anywhere LA south. I just find them more enjoyable, less crowded and more scenic. Montana De Oro is a really cool place.
Have hiked and jogged it’s trails many times. Also has some surf spots.

Morro Bay is my favorite if I am looking for a touristy beach that still has a nice mellow vibe.

Avila is small but the best place to go if you aren’t looking for sun. When other beaches are dogged in Avila often is not for some reason.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Just out of curiosity, I checked out Fresno last year. I didn't get the sense that the city was booming like Denver or Phoenix are.

I was thinking Fresno would strike me as "Sacramento on the cheap", but I didn't come away with that impression. Plus, too small of a city for me.
Why would you have thought Fresno was booming?

Yeah, not like Sacramento....really at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California